Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase Tires - Clincher

• Tread pattern is designed for optimal balance of traction and low rolling resistance
  • High-performance compound is designed especially for all-weather riding
  • Available in 8 sizes for road, hybrid, and comfort bikes
  • 340g in 700c x 25c
  • 60tpi base carcas provides lightweight and added suppleness

[Nov 06, 2014]
AJB13

OVERALL
Strength:

Roll fine

I have ridden between 900 and 1000 miles on the tires and have had 6 flats. Two in front and 4 in rear.

Not good for city riding.

[Sep 28, 2014]
D Cook

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable

Pinch flats and punctures
Wear

I have these tires on Trek Race XL rims on a Domane 6.2. This combination produces more pinch flats than any rim/tire combination I have ever had. And, when they are not pinched flat, the tires are punctured from negligible debris. The tires have worn quickly, so thankfully, I can feel good about getting rid of them soon.

[May 26, 2013]
Burke

OVERALL
Strength:

Moderate flat resistance.

Not what they used to be. Sidewall failure, fast wearing, new, cheapened version of a formerly great tire.

I have been running these tires for the past seven years. They came with my new bike. The first front tire went 4000 miles w/o a flat and still had rubber, but I figured that I got my money's worth and changed it out. The original version of this tire had a raised smooth rubber center strip about 1 mm higher than the patterned sidewall. So it had little rolling resistance. The current version of this tire, which I bought last year, had the thickness of the smooth center strip reduced to be even with the sidewall. The result is that a fantastic 5-star tire a few years ago for flat resistance and wear, is now a 3-star average tire. The "new" version of this tire already had a flat, is showing considerable wear (after about 1500 miles), and has a bulge in the sidewall, so it must be replaced. Unfortunately, I am moving on to another tire, maybe Specialized Armadillo.

[Apr 15, 2013]
Samuel Medina

OVERALL
Strength:

Decently fast.

Horrible bead strength, horrible puncture protection, and very un-durable.

Don't buy these tires. I've used them for thousands of miles and have had several flats (almost every week, with Mr. Tuffy Tire liners!). The bead somehow manages to not cede correctly and pop off the rim catastrophically (happened to me twice, popping two brand new tubes). In fact, I have used cheap $8 tires that have performed better than this garbage. These tires are only worth less than the rubber they're made from. Do not buy!

[Jan 27, 2013]
sandy matias

OVERALL
Strength:

good grip on asphalt and cemet roads

gets worn out too fast. i ride 30 miles every other day for my triathlon training

the company must review their tire engineering to avoid accidents

[Dec 19, 2012]
joker

Strength:

3 tyres developed big bulges like the side wall was separting ,one was not even used and it was faulty,my lbs won't warranty the tyres.

Do not buy

[Nov 08, 2012]
Dan DeBra

OVERALL
Strength:

more than 5000 km trouble free on front and back.

Then the rubber started to peel off on the rear tire. Never inflated beyond a100 psi. Not clear why. The body remains sound. No signs of rubber coming loose on the front.

I will try a replacement as the tires have been puncture free and feel sound on the road .

[Jul 15, 2012]
netsullivc

OVERALL
Strength:

Puncture protection, handle abuse.

Have to be pumped up tight to get the rolling resistance down, tread peels of with age. Bit hefty in the larger sizes.

Been using these for 5-6 years at 100km week for most of the year. Surprisingly puncture proof, only realised how good they were when I tried other tyres and got lots of punctures. They have limits though - although carpet tacks and two inch nails you can't complain! They give a good life but they get to a point where the tread just gives up and peels off the underlying canvas. (Been like this ever since I have used them so not a once of case) Would go through 2 rears and a front in a years riding - definitly chew a rear out in a summer. Used 25 and 28mm liked the 28 as it let you go places 23 shod bikes havn't a hope (yes on a road bike!). I think they are getting dated there are tougher (gatorskins) and better performing (michelin pro's) tyres out there now that never use to be around. I think Bontrager needs to put a bit of effort into them if they want to keep the sales on these up.

[Apr 22, 2012]
Theo Carter

OVERALL
Strength:

...

Got a flat within 3 weeks of constant use.
One of the tires WILL NOT fit

I ride 20 miles a day 3-5 times a week. commuting back and forth to work. at first I didn't realize the tire wasn't sitting right until I had to take my tire to get trued 3 times in a month. when I brought the tire back to the shop they brought it to my attention that it wasn't sitting properly( which was causing all the turbulence)... so that got fixed. a few rides later I get a flat before my morning commute. so I'm sitting here right now as i type trying to get this dang tire around my wheel. Which is dang near impossible. which is a concern for me in case of a random flat on the road. so Bottom line is if the tire fit and did what the said (protect against flats) I would be all for it. but unless they replace my tire and it fits. I would give them 5 stars. oh by the way my other tire (front) works and fits just fine. Its just the rear tire giving me crap.

[Apr 20, 2012]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Puncture resistance, grip, water shedding

Weight

I use the tires for training rides daily. In florida we frequently get afternoon thundershowers making for slick roads after work. I also live in a hard partying area of town and frequently shattered glass scatters my road surface leading to frequent punctures, Not anymore! The tires are heavier than the ones I use for races but are the perfect daily training tires they spend 95% of the time on my bike. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. Grip is tremendous and so is the water shedding ability. I can't comment on puncture resistance as I have not flatted the tires due to a puncture in more than 1000 miles but it seems good.