Bontrager Race X-Lite Tires - Clincher

• Our flagship racing tire Casing and tread optimized for minimum rolling resistance
  • Four ply, 410 tpi casing to maintain puncture resistance Activated silica tread compound for excellent wet traction and low rolling resistance
  • Ultra round profile for incredibly smooth cornering
  • Kevlar bead
  • Weight: 165-205 grams

• USER REVIEWS

[May 02, 2017]
    Khash eshraghi

OVERALL
    Strength:

Hate to say it but i was on my litespeed blade riding without holding on (my back was hurting), ran over a huge, nasty pothole and next thing I know I crashed and flipped. Unbelievably, a small chunk of the tire was torn off, yet no compromise in performance. Any other tire would have gone flat for sure. Tire is looooong lasting. Had the same tire for few years and still like new except for the Lil chunk missing.

None. Price too cheap for this tire.

I recommend this tire. It could be a Lil more flashy tho.

[Aug 16, 2010]
    jbbmgb

OVERALL
    Strength:

bonti raceXlite 23s are long lasting, corner well, smooth riding, low-rolling resistance w/a relatively low flat rate (knock on wood)

the new one sided colour scheme looks dumb

im 5foot9 150 and a rec++ cyclist,,,i ride hard & fast,,,4500+ miles in the saddle so far this season,,,fr 1mar-14aug10 . . .

continental 4000

[Aug 10, 2010]
    dutcher

OVERALL
    Strength:

23mm:::long wearing tyres--very few flats (knock on wood)--lightweight--low rolling resistance--excellent cornering & ride

new one sided colour looks dumb

i'm a rec++ cyclist -- weigh 150 height 5-9 -- i ride hard & fast on all surfaces in all weather conditions 4500+ miles so far this year in 2010 (1 march to 10 august)

[Jan 11, 2010]
    soldontrek

OVERALL
    Strength:

no flats, good wear

I got a Trek 7.5 FX that came with racelite tires. 2 sets over 5K miles, no flats. I moved up to a Madone 4.7 this year, have almost 2K on the bike am thinking of replaceing tires since I'm a big kid, 225 lbs. But absolutly no complaints, I won't ride any other tire.

[Oct 25, 2009]
    Tom

OVERALL

Great tire. 2500 miles and still rolling. Lots of glass and rough stuff. Lots of small cuts but never a flat.

[Aug 08, 2009]
    Dallas Pankowski

OVERALL
    Strength:

Attractive - good ride

Terrible engineering

My rear tire on my project one trek with a red stripe Race X lite center disentegrated. The mileage is not that great, as I have three bikes and there was no warning sign. It appears that the two red stripes are added rubber but the center, where one rides, is thin casing. I am most disappointed in this product.

michelin, vredestein, continental

[Jul 21, 2009]
    arcman

OVERALL
    Strength:

Comfy ride?

Milage

1300 miles = rear tire bald. I weigh 220lbs. Front looks fine.

Conti Gran Prix's

[Oct 19, 2008]
    Scofflaw

OVERALL
    Strength:

Impressive sounding name - "Race X Lite".

Extremely low tread-life.
    Poor quality.

I've had two sets of these Bontrager Race X Light clinchers. The first set came with the purchase of my 2004 Trek 5200. I can't recall how many miles that set lasted. If I'd have to guess, I'd say near the 2000 mile mark.
    When my 5200 was totaled, I bought a 2006 Trek Madone 5.2 SL. Again, the bike came with a set of these tires on them. The 2006 tires were a joke. After about 200 miles, the tires had noticeably flattened because the compound had worn down so fast. The rear tire more so than the front because more weight was back there. The tire compound developed tiny pits and gouges from the various debris I'd ridden over. It was almost as if the outer compound had started to separate from the inner compound laced with the threads.

I rotated the tires once to have them wear out as a pair. At around the 900 mile mark, the rear tire had worn down so much that was down to the threads! I had not noticed this prior to setting out on a 70 mile out-and-back trip in the back country near Solvang. Thirty-two miles into the trip and the treads had started to give weakening the integrity of the tire. The pressure in the tube caused the tire to bulge funny. Lining inside of the tire with an empty PowerGel foil package worked well enough to get me home.
    Maybe tires wearing out this soon is more common than I'm accustomed to. I just haven't experienced it or heard of it before.
    Based on this experience, I would never choose to buy these tires as replacements.

Michelin Krylion Carbon
    Vittoria Techno Pro Integra
    Serfas Seca RS (newly mounted)

[Jun 19, 2008]
    NFALLEN

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durable, good rolling resistance, easy to take off and put back on

These came in the normal tread with my bike, a Lemond Victoire. The rear tire lasted only about 1,500 miles, but that was a bike problem not a tire problem. (Chainstay rubbed off one side of the tire over time; the other side had plenty of miles left when I had to replace it.) I ride rough roads, and have a pretty typical number of puncture flats -- maybe one every 750 miles or so, even with keeping the pressure at 120. I've now replaced the front tire after 2,500 miles(preventive replacement after a small bulge emerged from a sidecut) with a hardcase version of the same tire. I'll track which tire gets how many flats! These are incredibly easy to remove and install, by the way, at least on my Bontrager rims.

[Jun 15, 2008]
    smokey0066

OVERALL
    Strength:

predictable handling.. good traction.. good ride..

easily damaged.

Got these tires with my new bike. Less than 200 miles later something sliced my tire right open down to the tube. I'm not sure what I ran over but it didnt leave a good impression. I bought a new set of tires after this experience that were in a similiar price range.