Continental GP Attack Tires - Clincher

The Attack is currently only sold in pairs with the GP Force (rear)
700x22c

[Apr 11, 2010]
asmallsol

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip
Weight

Price
Wears super fast during crits

I've used a number of Conti's different race levels tires and have kept coming back. I picked these up right at the start of crit season (about mid june here) and probably put about 6-800 race miles on them. Overall impression, they are very good tires. The grip is great, even in wetter conditions. I do like the 24mm rear width. These are on the list of race only tires, as they wear extremely quickly. When they start to wear out, they will end up having whole sections of tread (3-5mm diameter sections at a time) just separate from the casing. When it starts, expect the rest of the tire to do that pretty quick. After a crit yesterday, ever inch or so on the tire had these battle scars. Having ridden the GP4000's, the GP4000S's, these, and Gatorskins, I would recommend just going with the GP4000S's and end up with a much better wearing tire with almost the exact same grip

GP4000S's, standard GP4000's, and Gatorskins

[Aug 11, 2009]
aaronis31337

OVERALL
Strength:

Puncture resistance.

Price

I got about 1500 miles out of the rear tire. Not bad considering I used them for my rides where I knew the roads were bad. I never got a single flat, and I road them till I could see the threads coming out the middle of the tire -- this is a good thing.

The cornering was good, but not great. The really bad thing was how hard it was to mount these tires. Also, the retail price was WAY too much -- but oh well. The front tire looks brand new after 1500+ miles.

Vittoria Rubino, Specialized, Hutchinson tubeless (don't buy these), Mittchilin Pro-race 3 (just mounted these.

[May 03, 2009]
Tuned1955

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability / Grip / Confidence

I've used a set of these (22/23) for almost 2 years/4000 miles. Frankly, I've been stunned as to how well they've held up. I use them for training on various asphalt surfaces. I'm at 190lbs. Yes, the surface area started showing wear at about 3000 miles, but at that point I was so happy with them, I decided to see how much longer they would hold up. I've yet to see any visible sidewall deterioration. One other note, I experienced NO flats during this 2-year period. All I did was verify air pressure before "every" ride.

No other tire I've ridden has given me this level of confidence. The grip is very good. The rolling resistance is good, but they're not for racing.

Various Conti / Michelin / Vredestein

[May 16, 2008]
Phil

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip (wet or dry), wearing well, so far.

Nice solid feel, but forgiving when you run over the rough stuff. I've put about 400 miles on so far and no signs of problems. The front is 1mm narrower than the rear, so it looks cool. Watch the PSI though. Conti website recommends 10 lbs less than the max.

Conti GP 3000, Vredestein Ricorso

[May 11, 2008]
Dan Cohen

OVERALL
Strength:

grip (even in the wet)
confidence in corners

they are looking worn after 1000 miles

Ridden for 1000 miles, all hills (I live in Boulder). I weigh 190 lbs. They are looking worn now so I am looking to replace them but I have done a lot of climbing with them.

[Feb 09, 2008]
mikefly01

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice feel and handle. Grips well doing sweeping downhill curves up to 45mph.

A little pricey. Not sure if the 22mm Attack makes any diff than having another 23mm Force on the front rim.

As a reasonably newbie road bike rider (~12 mos), I have somewhat limited experience but my impression of the Attack/Force combo is very favorable. I rode about 2000 mi last year over a 10 month period of time. During the 1st 4 months, I went through three Bontrager Race X Lite tires (all punctures) and was pretty frustrated. Since (~1500 mi), I have been on the Contis and have had one puncture (glass) but otherwise great performance. The feel is very nice and much prefer them to the stock Bontragers that came with the bike.

I ride recreationally and average 17-18 mph over rolling hill routes of 15-35 mi. I have inflated these tires consistently at 110 psi even though they are rated to 120.

Bontrager Race X Lite 700x25 - Std equip on 2006 Zurich.

[Nov 13, 2007]
digrus

OVERALL
Strength:

Good rolling resistance, good wear rate for a grippy race tyre

Frigile side walls - but this is what gives it the good rolling resistance and weight.

Good grip, fast rolling tyre. But not a tyre if you aren't racing and training hard. The side walls are fragile, and as others have said, start to look tired after some time. So if you aren't doing the miles or riding hard enough to justify a grippy tyre, go for something else.

GP3000, Supersonics, varoious Vitorria's

[Aug 27, 2007]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, smooth, good grip. Good balance between weight and puncture resistance.

side walls decay quickly so would only last a year I'd say, but if you ride a lot they'll need changing before that. If you keep your bike outdiirs in the sun 24/7, you could kiss them goodbye in 6 months.

Expensive but worth it if you use them.

I've done over 4000km on a pair of these so I'd writing this as they're up for replacement. I found the ride and grip on these very good and never really had too much trouble with puctures, except when I've been going through cities (to-from stations etc.). The last ride I did on these was the PBP and only had 1 flat in 1200km.

I'm getting rid of them for two reasons:
1) they are pretty cut up in places, which seems to happen reasonably easily - one place were a large bit of flint went through last month keeps gettting easy puctures (inc. the one on the pbp) as its weak (the tubes have a stack of patches in one spot....).

2) The side walls are starting to crack and flake - I'd rather swap now than wait for them to blow.

Generally I'd say that the side walls are pretty weak and have a limited life time in terms of 'time' rather than 'distance'. I get through 2 or 3 pairs a tires a year so this isn't a problem for me, but if you expect to keep these for a couple of years, get something else.

supersonics, gp4000

[Jul 07, 2007]
Max mancuso

OVERALL
Strength:

super skiny light

only 120 psi pull a lot of string from kevlar bead??

I have won lots of races on these i love them if you dont have tubless get these or vredisten!!

tubless

[May 15, 2007]
doug

OVERALL
Strength:

Puncture proof. Good rolling and cornering grip.

Fragile sidewalls. I'd rate them a 5 if they were a bit stronger here.

Very good tyres - the Attack and Force set. No punctures!!?? on the roads I ride on that is exceptional. The weak point is the sidewalls - DONT scuff them or they will start to split radially - not good at 140+psi.
I would not use them in the wet as they look awfully like a motorcycle slicks and I learnt a long time ago not to ride slicks in the wet. It rains; on go a set of Michelin Pro Grips and I carry my tin of patches.

Michelin