Continental Grand Prix Folding Tires - Clincher

Continental Grand Prix 700x23 Black Chili Folding: Uses Black Chili Compound for greater grip, durability and reduced rolling resistance. PolyX breaker, a woven polyester layer that is highly resistant to punctures without...

[Oct 15, 2015]
Big A

OVERALL
Strength:

Grips well, long mileage tire, good price

The dreaded sidewall blowout

I have had decent luck with these tires and I will continue to use them. I have thought about upgrading to the 4000s, but I can't stomach paying more that what I already am for a tire. I am getting close to 2k out of each tire which is really good considering the crappy Texas roads I ride on. I have had one sidewall blowout out of the 5 tires I have purchased due to hitting a sharp rock. I wish my LBS would sell these tires but for some reason they quit, but you can find one on amazon for around $30.

[Jun 26, 2007]
ladams

OVERALL
Strength:

Good traction. Consistent quality. Good wear.

None that might be from outside source.

My favorite tire. I am 190 and 6'1". Most of my riding is on chipseal. I put in approx 7K miles per year and get on average 1K miles on a rear tire.

I have found these tires to be consistently durable with good traction. They seem to mount easily. I have had sidewall issues, but tires around here get beat up pretty well, so I can not say they are failure prone.

Conti 3000, Conti 4000, Conti Force & Attack, Michelin Pro, Michelin Carbon, Verdesteen(?) Tricomp, Veloflex Pave. Vittoria Diamonte, Vittoria Corsa, Vittoria Rubino, Ritchey WCS, should I keep going?

[Mar 19, 2007]
Keith Alvey

OVERALL
Strength:

Good durable all purpose tire

None if you keep the pressures up

Flatted both tyres first ride hitting a pot hole onto a bridge at high speed. From that I learnt to keep the pressures high and have only had one other flat in over 2000 miles. At 220+ pound, rear tire started to wear flat in the center at around 1500 miles with no sign of wear on the front. Switched front to rear and now have over 2000 miles on these with plenty left.

Michelin axial pro

[Jun 14, 2006]
Telemarketer

OVERALL
Strength:

Classy look, reddish-brown 'conti-natural' look can't be beat; also the inverted tread pattern is nice. I have these on a tri-bike I use for solo endurance riding. I haven't carved on them but the weight and acceleration of the wheel is light, the handling predictable and rolling resistance balanced in temps from cold to hot. I will definetly purchase more 23mm's at this price.

The side-walls are very weak. I was plagued by pinch flats initially (Welcome to Michigan) but bumping the psi up helped. The 20mm takes far too many side strikes from road debris and the sidewall will unavoidable get cut, don't get that size unless you ride behind street sweepers. Also for some reason it was a very very tight, frustrating, fit on the 571 rim. The 23 had the same pinch prob. at low psi but the sidewall strikes weren't terminal, just scuffing, and the mounting was fine.

Very good econo-tire for <15$. I got 650c pair on a web-deal. One is 20 and one is 23mm.

Continental Ultra 3000 wire-b

[Dec 25, 2003]
MarcelDuchamp

OVERALL
Strength:

durability, resilience, tan sidewalls look pretty cool too

These are great all purpose tires, they're durable, deliver a smooth ride, and they look great. I got a pair after I noticed the sidewalls of my performance Kevlar tires were shredding after about 800 miles. I've put around 400 miles on these and they still seem brand new. I ride all the time on roads where there is tons of sand, gravel and other debris that is harsh on tires and these take it perfectly. I have had no problems with the sidewalls AT ALL. These tires are incredibly tough; I accidentally went over a shattered beer bottle and could feel the glass crack under me, but the tires didn't flat! These are a decent value at full price and if you can find them on sale, get them! You won't be disappointed.

performance folding kevlar tires

[Aug 28, 2003]
Gary

OVERALL
Strength:

Got l-o-n-g milage out of them.

Fraying of sidewalls. Price...I think most quality bike tires are overpriced.

I put these on my bike in June 2002 and rode them 5150 miles with just two flats (both were punctures, one glass & the other metal.) I weigh 200 pounds & ride primarily on asphalt country rodes. I had the second flat last week & while fixing it noticed the sidewalls were deteriorating & the cracks were forming in the remaining rubber. I decided it was time to replace them after I realized how well they had held up decided to go with a set of Conti GP 3000's.

[Jun 11, 2003]
Ed Merritt

OVERALL

I'm not sure if I just got a bad batch or what, but I definitely didn't experience any of the positives other riders did. These tires sucked up every tiny piece of glass anywhere near my ride. I rode over 600 or so miles on them, and if I didn't flat during a ride, I came back happy. Sidewalls also wore quick and weren't very durable. Buy a more expensive, higher quality tire and you'll still save big time on new innertubes.

Bontrager Race Lites Michelin Axial Pro

[Mar 03, 2003]
Bob

OVERALL
Strength:

Wears good for a relatively light tire

Sidewalls get damaged easily.

Excellent tire, any tire that doesn't flat for the life of the tire is excellent. I ran these tires for about 2000 miles with continental tubes until the cords were showing on the back and decided it was time for a change. I always kept them aired near max press. The sidewalls did fray a bit, they do not like rocks, but never a problem.

Michelin axial pro

[Nov 09, 2002]
steven kim

OVERALL
Strength:

Very sticky,good mileage,good looks(when relatively new),very fast,good puncture resistance(when new).

Very weak and thin sidewalls.Pricey.

Continental grand prix tires are fast,very sticky,light,look good(when new).I ride about 100 miles a week and they lasted about 10 months.If you get a flat STOP RIGHT AWAY or else you'll cut up the weak sidewalls with your rims.

specialised turbo

[Dec 24, 2001]
Jason

OVERALL
Strength:

Light. Very comfy. Very resistant to side punctures.

Wear quickly. Expensive. (ever notice how they never go on that much of a discount? The old saying "you get what you pay for" very much applies to tires.

I was very surprised to see the low overall rating for this tire. I''ve used these things a long time, and the naysayers are flat WRONG. These tires are very light (about 190 grams) and do wear rather quickly. (I rotate my front to my rear when the rear wears out to get more life. Usually get about 1000 miles that way). I changed to these initially after getting tons of flats with Specialized tires (I like their bikes, but their road tires simply suck). I''ve now been on these for going on 9 years. They are the most comfortable tire I''ve ridden, grip well, accelerate quickly, and do not tend to flat. If you are flatting, then it is either your spokes pushing through, or you are riding on a lot of rocks and stickers. These are racing tires, but they are also excellent fast recreational tires if you don''t mind the fast wear. (If you do, try a Super Sport kevlar on the rear as it wears a lot better).

Avocet Fastgrip Specialized Turbo S Specialized Aradillos (these were before I went to Contis 9 years ago; since then I''ve never used anything else) Continental Super Sport Kevlar.