Continental Top Touring 2000 Tires - Clincher

• Reliable, road worthy tire that will hold up to thousands of touring miles
  • Inverted tread pattern and ultra durable tread for smooth rolling and high mileage
  • High puncture protection due to
  • Continentals tough, 5-layer
  • Polyamide casing
  • The lightweight choice for trekkers, tandems and cross country travelers
  • 5 carcass plies; 213 tpi

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 10, 2014]
    romano peros

OVERALL
    Strength:

Made in Germany

Don't know yet

Just grabbed a vintage 83 Lotus Classique equipped with a pair of these tires

[Oct 23, 2009]
    CycleTourDude747

OVERALL
    Strength:

almost impossible to puncture.

I used Continental Top Touring 2000 for a 18,000km trip across Africa, the Middle East and Europe. I rode from Kenya to Germany without a single flat. Highly recommended.

[Nov 21, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great training tire as its high rolling resistance on a steel-framed touring bike increases effort in the climbs.
    Tread looks good.

Punctured after 50 miles.
    Always have to be mindful of rotation direction of tire.
    Silly tread (prevent hydroplaning?)
    Tire seems too large (700) for its rim. It kept flopping off rim.

Perhaps this is too soon to review the tire, after only around 100 miles.
    The tire has a high rolling resistance (as mentioned in earlier reviews). However, the plush feeling of the 28 mm tire almost makes up for that, as the bike (steel) kinda rolls over root-lifted asphalt as if they were no more than some little ripples in the street.
    As to its resistance to punctures, well .. a piece of glass took the rear tire down, chewing up the tube.
    The surprise was how quickly that wire-bead tire came off the rim, and went back on.
    However, trying to replace the smaller tube with a larger one at home was a chore. First, I realized I had screwed up the directionality of the tire, as a result I had to dismount and remount the tire.

None. Until this bike/tire I rode a Giant TCR using Hutchinson 700X23 tires.

[Nov 09, 2006]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice high volume
    not too heavy
    tough, stands up to daily city use without punctures
    Works great with heavy touring loads
    tread handles well in dirt

slippery cornering on the road
    Not cheap

No punctures in >1000kms, rolls nice, 28c tires soak up bumps good grip in dirt, just a bit slippery cornering. Could benefit from softer shoulder compound or something to provide better grip around corners.

Specialized armadillo Turbo

[Dec 07, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durability, high volume, long life, puncture protection and smooth ride. The best tire I've used so far.

Price; if you buy them off the shelf. Mine came with my ride. Availability is also poor, so it pays to keep one on reserve and have someone ready to ship it out. Heavy?

The tires are great as far as durability. Flat resistance is king. My gf and I rode 1840 miles this summer without a puncture. She has the 27x1.25 and I have the 700x37 that came with my Cannondale T800. I ended up rotating them after 1100ish miles and they are still going for commuting. Probably have 2300 miles on them total with majority of it under a 190lb rider, 30lb bike and 45ish lbs of gear. Heck, one day I had to carry the load in my gf's rear panniers and they still held up (with my stock Cannondale wheelset). They are also pretty plush, if you keep them to their recomended inflation. Stability/traction on dirt is good if you set them up correctly - rear 'reversed'. I have noticed the sidewalls cracking, but I started out my tour overinflating the tires to 90lbs - what my rim said it could take for a 37c tire. It doesn't look as bad as what others are describing though. I've had much worse sidewall tearing on my Specialized Armadillos.

Specialized Armadillos (25s and 28s), Specialized Nimbus (very nice - a close second). That's it for the porkier non-race tires.

[Apr 06, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Tread wear is good. These tires are excellent for medium or light duty. Good puncture resistance.

Weak sidewalls make this tire unreliable for long distance loaded touring. I´ve seen this problem mentioned in other posts. This weakness it bad because it always results in an irrepairable blowout.

I´ve used the conti TT2000 for several years...mostly for commuting and light touring. I thought they were really the best tires for carrying loads. Now I am doing some extended loaded touring and I´ve had three sidewall blowouts normally close to the bead. I´ve checked my brakes, I´ve checked the rim, and I cant find any cause except I think the tires themselves just cant handle it. I am carrying a full touring load, but its still less than what many other cyclists carry esp since I myself am a lightweight cyclist. Some of the roads are bumpy and the distances are long. I emailed conti to ask for advice, but I did not hear anything back.

Im switching to the Schwalbe marathons to see if I can get better luck.

[Jan 15, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Never punctured with this tyre. They laugh at bad roads, mud, glass, gravel, thorns etc. Tread wears only very slowly. 28C size squeezes nicely on to an MA3 for a very economical and bombproof winter mile-eater that will hack some modest off-road as well. Good value if you shop-around online.

As mentioned by other reviewers, sidewalls are thin and the rubber tends to crack after ~100o miles. This is only cosmetic however. Quite heavy (as expected for a 'touring' tyre) and fairly high rolling resistance. The complicated zig-zag tread pattern looks a little silly aswell. *VERY* difficult to put on rim - bead is tight.

Excellent worry-free winter/long distance tyre for use on bad roads, although heavy and high rolling resistance. Side walls maybe too thin and fragile for full-on loaded touring. Extremely durable.

Conti Top touring pre-2000 : much more desirable for loaded touring

[Sep 28, 2004]
    bradw

OVERALL
    Strength:

Flat resistent. Tread held up well after bad skid on rear tire.

Cracks in sidewalls showed up after about 1000 miles. Looked bad by 2000 miles. Even though there was plenty of tread left, I ditched the tires. I have the same tire in 26x1.75 that has held up well (not rated in this review)

I used the 700x32 model. Kept at max recommended pressure. Only one or two flats in about 2000+ miles.

Bontrager Invert K 700x35 Vittoria Randonneur 700x35

[Aug 07, 2004]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Tough. No flats in 1000+ miles. Handled fairly good.

Tires seemed to squirm on paint lines which I didn't like. I thought this might be due to the opposite tread pattern for the rear direction. Which is why I gave them a ranking of 4.

1000 mile loaded tour in California. Tires performed well. No flats.

Aramadillos.

[Apr 14, 2004]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Despite what others have said regarding mounting, I've had no trouble on either of my rims (which are not the same). I use the 700x32, and recommend a wider rim for the wider tire.

I don't know about sidewalls. I had two sidewall problems but I attribute both to bad brake adjustments. I KNOW one of them was because I didn't have the tire seated properly and the bulge at the rim rubbed against the tire and wore out the sidewall. The other one appeared to be a similar problem, scraped away the rubber from the sidewall due to incorrect brake shoe placement.

Reliable tire that rolls well and resists flats. Higher price but seems worth the money. Got about 4000 miles off each of my first two. Wore the back tread down to near nothing, and front tread had lots of miles left before I killed the sidewall with brake shoe contact. No, repeat, no puncture flats in 4000 commuter miles.

Panaracer Pasela Tourguard (more flats) Schwalbe Marathon (seems comparable)