Hutchinson Bulldog CX Tires - Clincher

• Ultra light 127 tpi casing

[Sep 04, 2011]
MarcG

OVERALL
Strength:

Unknown.

Failed to provide any value. These are useless products and are 0 for 2 in my scorebook.

Bead failed on two of these tires in a matter of days. The first tire failed on 3d day, second tire failed on 4th day. These aren't particularly hard to seat on the rim but aren't the easiest either. They held air well for a few days if that means anything.

Don't bother wasting your money on these tires as you will be buying new ones soon if you do.

Maxxis, Conti Speed Cross

[Nov 30, 2010]
burglariousdave

OVERALL
Strength:

Flat-free so far (knock on wood)!
Tubeless system truly works. No air loss, even when doing things that would DEFINITELY pinch-flat a tube.
Tread works fairly well under all conditions (I've raced on mud, snow, hardpack, loose dust, and grass).
Being able to ride low pressure really helps. That's why people race on tubulars, and why a poor, practical-minded person like me races/rides on these tires tubeless. If you want near-tubular performance without the hassles of delicate casings, rolling tires after repeated pressure washing, and spending big bucks, get these Hutchinsons. (then again, I got them at cost)

The tread wears quickly (comes with the good grip, though)
I really hate the color (totally doesn't match my "coulourway")

*from what I hear, these tires now use a stronger bead. I have the new (2010), but I'm still unclear about what changes were actually made.

I've ridden most of a cyclocross season on these tires now and I'm very pleased. My main worry was burping air. I'd read that the rim bed was too deep on my Mavic Ksyrium Elites, and that I'd need a tubeless rim. I am happy to report that that was not the case. I have ridden these tires at VERY low pressures (25 psi) without losing pressure. The bead is EXTREMELY stiff, but the tire is supple enough. I have only burped air twice, that I've known of, both times a neglegable amount (and I've bottomed out on roots, curbs, all kind of stuff (sorry rims!)). I've never had a flat either (compared to my old tubes/tire combos when I got SO MANY flats).

The actualy riding performance of these tires is good (not great). But in keeping with these tires' hassle-free nature, they are "pretty good" in all conditions!

If you're looking for a tire that's hassle free and works for everything, that has been my experience with these tires.

(for reference, I weigh 135 lb and race at about 30psi, under most conditions)

Panaracer Cinder (major grip. Recommended)
Michelin Jet (Awesome tire! Huge grip and speed, but wears out very quickly)
Panaracer crossblaster (fast, but they flat when you look at them wrong)
Challenge Grifo (I had a hard time perceiving the nuances of tubular, but I only rode them once in a race...)
Maxxis Larsen Mimo (TINY volume. Definitely not a Maxxis CX tire fan)

[Oct 15, 2008]
Kuna

OVERALL
Strength:

Large Volume tire, sheads mud, great grip.

Large volume can be tricky on frames with little chain stay clearance. If you don't follow the tubeless steps carefully, it will not seal.

Wow this are huge! Finally a cross tire that is tubeless, makes sense for MTB why not cross? I have used this for a little bit of training and 4 races this season from really muddy to dry grass (Cross Vegas!)and have enjoyed it. I am 165 lbs and can run them at 32lbs with no problems on the Dura Ace Tubeless wheelset. The only complaint is that my Cannondale frame at the chainstay now has missing paint where the tire has rubbed it off due to the small clearance in this area, plenty of clearance at the fork (EC90X) and seatstay. Some people say these are not as supple at a nice tubular, but some (Dugast) tubular companies are building tires with stiffer sidewalls. These make more sense then glueing tires on and no loss of sleep over a puncture, which means more use out of the wheels instead of saving them for the 10 or so races per year. I had tubulars but got sick of the glueing and having really nice wheels sitting around for races only, for fear of puntures and wearing out a super expensive tire. If tubular technology is so great why don't we glue car tires on? - it's a joke, don't take it personal.

Ritchey, Vittoria, IRC, Maxxis, Challenge