Hutchinson Excel Tires - Clincher

700cx28mm, Steel

[Jun 04, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

long-lasting, hard to puncture, cheap

weight

My first pair of these tires came stock on my first serious road bike. They're a little on the heavy side but I ride for fitness, recreation, and commuting, so the extra weight just makes me stronger. They're pretty indestructible and I've logged many hard miles on them. I ride everything from rail trails, to city streets with cracks and potholes, to sharp gravel tracks, to dirt trails. I haven't run into the sidewall separation problems others have mentioned, so maybe this was a problem with a particular production run. I usually ride the tires with 110-120psi and they handle this just fine and roll with little resistance.

other road tires from conti and michelin

[Jul 23, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Hard to puncture: ran over things that would have gone right through most SHOES and didn't have a problem.

Outside of puncture resistance, not very durable
Low psi limit
Not the lightest tire

This tire seemed great at first. I've ridden over just about everything: jagged metal of all kinds, rough and broken concrete, broken car light covers, and glass (even ran over a the jagged part of a broken bottle and broke it further) all without doing any damage to the tires. However, I've been keeping the tire pressure at its max (since it's a lowly 100psi) and after only a few hundred miles the sidewalls have begun to separate from the tread.

Don't really keep track.

[Jun 28, 2007]
Bob Danek

OVERALL
Strength:

Thier round

Poor manufacturing quality control. Tires failed with pleanty of tread left.

I **had** a pair of these come stock on my Ironhorse road bike. After about 1500 miles, the front tire developed an "S" curve in the tread along the rim. I pulled the tire and found the cords inside had seperated from the wall, causing the deformity. Ok, so I figure it's a one-off problem. Two weeks later my rear tire does the same exact thing. This leads me to the conclusion that these tires are CRAP! With plenty of tread left, the tires are gone due to poor manufacturing.
After seeing this type of failure, I would not trust any Hutchinson tire on my ride. It's just not worth it.

[Nov 14, 2004]
Atomic_Frog

OVERALL
Strength:

- Inexpensive - Durable

- A bit sluggish and heavy - Tall, peaked profile

I slapped a pair on my "training" bike after I wore out my old tires. They generally seem to work okay. Good grip cornering when they're new. Not as light as the semi-racing tires I'm used to. A bit on the heavy and sluggish side compared to those. Likely due to the thick tread. Once you get going, the rolling resistance seems okay, not too bad. They do have a funny, high profile, giving them a very "skittish" tendency, e.g. the flop side to side very readily. Great for commuting tire. Not so good for performance tire.

Panaracers, Specialized Turbo, various Vittoria's

[Jun 13, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

resiliency, handling in the rain, and sure cornering grip in dry and wet weather

slightly heavy versus others, but these tires are tough.

This is a followup review. I no have 650 miles on these tires and they are GREAT. I rode in the MS 150 from Houston and Austin and about 200 riders had flats from a person who threw tacks on the course. Considering the rough roads and the saboteur, these tires rode well. I have also continued training on them and did a charity ride for MADD without incident. I tell, you, on these rough, graveled pavement in the HOT Texas sun, and even on slippery pavement, these tires are a godsend. I will transfer these tires to my new wheelset without hesitation. They are due to be rotated, also.

Continental, Michelin Eriliums, Vredestein Ricorso Road, Vittoria Integra Pro

[Apr 02, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

This tire rides well in the Texas heat and in the rain. I haven't felt this confident in the wet weather since I had Conti Ultra 2000's in the early 1990's. I will see how they hold up in this year's MS 150 from Houston to Austin.

Slightly heavy, but hey, I use them for fitness and charity rides, not "real races".

Put these on my Bianchi Eros, which I use for fitness and charity rides. I admit that their sale price caught my eye and I figured, "Why Not?" Of course, using an inexpensive tire on an $1100 bike may be a bit loco. Supposedly the US Postal Service team used this brand of tire, so it has to have SOME credibility, right? My Vittorias started to split after only 600 miles, my Michelin Eriliums handled like mush, and I have Vredestein Ricorso Roads on my single speed (they seem okay)

Kenda, Continental Ultrasport 2000, Vittoria Pro Integra, Michelin Erilium, Vredestein Ricorso Road.

[Apr 02, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

low price; fair to good rolling resistance

heavy so they're not for Race Day

I've used the Hutchinson Excel tires in excess of 3700 miles now for everyday training. I've used them for all of the local rides in DFW plus the Bike Tour of Colorado. These are very good training tires. They're a bit heavy but hey, train heavy, race light, right?

Veloflex Pave clinchers

[Jun 01, 2003]
Simon Gardner

Everything

Hutchinson, Excel basic road tires. After riding these tires only a few weeks the sidewall of the tire started to separate all the way around. Needless to say I stopped riding on these tires and demanded a refund. Instead, I spent twice as much and bought a pair of Michilin foldable tires which are much better and allow me to corner much faster. So, the Hutchinson are basically junk.

Continental Grand Prix