Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tubeless Tires - Clincher

Top-quality road-tubeless compatible tires from Hutchinson.  An excellent blend of performance and durability. For Road Tubeless compatible rims (can also be used with a tube inside)...

[Mar 25, 2016]
tempeteOntheRoad

OVERALL
Strength:

Ease of use: easy to put on, for a tubeless-tight tire. I usually need a single tire lever (love the Tacx's) to finish popin' them in.
Hold air well: I have mounted both new and used tires with my old floor pump. Every spring, as I just did this morning, I mount the tires on the rims and pump them up without even using sealant. I do spend some time cleaning the goo from previous use before.
Comfort: I conducted (subjective!) tests with both my wheelsets: Dura-Ace C50 and Ultegra 6800TL using similar pressure in tube-Michelin ProRace3, then switched to the Fusion3 on the TL wheelset and must say Those stiff wheels feel great with the Fusion3. I weight 180lbs and ride them at 100psi.

I only hope the price will come down. I also wish they would be lighter, but then they probably would not be as good

I got into tubeless with Hutchinson Atom tubeless tire. I wanted to get into it but not sacrifice the light weight factor of riding light tires-tubes combination. The experience was a success, but the light tubeless tire did not do so well. Maybe I was not lucky, but they just blew on a bad sidewall cut. I has happened to me with a brand new pair of Gatorskins... But I grew confident that Tubeless is the way.
So I got the Fusion 3 and rode half a season on them. Those are much more sturdy... Piece of mind is worth the extra weight. They will last as I can see they do not cut as easily as the lightweight "race" models. Those as a good all-around pick-and-ride set of tires.
A few tips: make sure you unscrew the valve and push it in past the beads before tightening back. Spend tire examining the tire and rim and make sure everything is clean. I swear I use a (old!) floor pump, and always pump them without sealant, I leave them overnight before deflating and taking out of the rim a small portion of the bead, I then pour sealant, pop the bead back in , et voilà.
I you want to introduce yourself to the world of TL, this is the way to go. Don't try to cut corners with the lightest, get the strong, simple Fusion3 first.

Hutchinson Atom Galactik

[Apr 19, 2013]
grant doug

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to mount, excellent initial seal, great handling

Price and availability at LBS

Sharing my experience. I purchased Easton EA90 road tubeless disc wheelset. Working with LBS mechanic here in Salida, Colorado, we tried several tubeless-ready and not tubeless-ready cyclocross and road tires, none were satisfactory at high-pressure until we tried Hutchison. Recently completed tubeless setup of the (pricey) Hutchison Fusion 3 tubeless. Rating: excellent
Observations:
1) Hutchison Fusion 3 was far and away the easiest to set up of all tires we’ve tried
2) Hutchison Fusion 3 was easy to get onto the rim for us – no soap, gloves, or levers were used.
3) Using removable core and 80 psi compressor, both wheels sealed up with Stans on the first try. Inflated to 120 PSI with floor pump, zero leaks.. amazed. No loss of pressure after riding, nor overnight. Extremely pleased with this.
4) Ride quality? Love ‘em. grippy on cornering, surprisingly cushioned / comfortable even on 120 psi.
5) My feeling is, road tubeless tires only make sense if they have a huge flat prevention advantage over tube clinchers, while performing at the same level or better. Haven’t tried all the other tubeless available, but Fusion 3 delivers. Any tubeless tire which requires fiddling / frequent reflation is a fool’s bargain, right?
6) We wish we find a cyclocross tire >40mm that seals up on the EA90 rims. Currently, I’m running Mavic 700c m719 with Continental 42mm XKing Cyclocross tubeless setup with excellent results. However, we have not been able to get ANY CX tire of that width to seal on the EA90 rim width.

[Oct 24, 2012]
Kristatos

OVERALL
Strength:

Great performance. Roll nice, puncture resistant and easy to install.

Cost, some batches of Hutchinson tires seem to be dodgy.

I ran these tires on Campy Zonda 2-way wheels for roughly 3K miles before one finally gave up the ghost on a ride. It was actually the last ride I had planned on them as I could tell I was pushing them on durability. 3K miles is about what I get from a tire so seems about right to me, but these tires are expensive, so I dinged them a little on the value. Anyways, I used these tires extensively for training, racing and commuting. I did some gravel road riding on them and really appreciated the ability to run low pressures. On group rides and in races I typically was having to hold back in corners a little due to being able to carry more speed with the enhanced grip from lower pressures. The casing on these tires feels pretty supple, so they ride smooth. As one other review mentioned you notice it right away on your first ride and I didn't stop noticing it all summer. These tires seem to be a true 23C unlike the Atoms which measure very small.

Unlike some other reviewers I didn't have any trouble mounting or maintaining these tires. I do have a compressor, and basically installed one bead, then most of the other bead by hand, using a plastic Pedro's tire lever to ease on the last few inches of bead. I set the beads with compressed air, then deflated and removed the valve core to inject Stan's sealant. After replacing the valve core I aired up with a floor pump, spun the wheel for a couple minutes and pretty much forgot about them. I didn't lose a lot of air overnight but did typically add some air before riding to keep them around 90 to 95 psi. When I finally had a flat on the road when the front tire wore out and split on me I was able to put in a tube on the roadside and ride it home. I let as much sealant drain out the hole first, and didn't really have any problems with a mess, what little sealant I got on my hands during the repair came right off with a couple squirts from a water bottle. A bigger tear in the tire would have required booting with something - so in addition to a spare tube I carry something to boot a tire just in case.

Overall I like this tire and would use it again. I also have used and reviewed the Atom Tubeless and had a totally negative experience recently with them, so I don't doubt some of the claims here that there may have been a bad batch of Fusions at one point - but it seems my tires so far didn't come from a bad batch.

Hutchinson Atom Tubeless
Bontrager R3 Tubeless ready road tire

[Aug 24, 2012]
James Bonny

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable ride
Rarely flat

Durability is horrific
Getting tire to seal when mounting is often impossible!
Questionable quality control - sidewall delamination in one tire
Cost

Set up with Dura Ace tubeless rims. This is a bitter-sweet relationship. The ride is noticeably better...I'm talking seriously, you notice it in 10 seconds. I only had 2 flats in two years.

.....However - don't even consider these unless you have a backup wheelset because they are out of commission half of the time. In 5 months of riding this year my tubeless wheelset has only been functional maybe half of that. The tires often just will not seal when inflating upon install, especially if they are not new and being remounted. By that time the bead has stretched and you basically have to buy new tire unless your LBS can figure out a way, and mine hasn't had good luck.

Also, I really would recommend against these if you live out in the country and ride on chip seal roads regularly. I scratch my head when I see reviewers writing that they 3-4 thousand of miles out of these. I would be lucky to get 1500. They must be on buttery smooth tarmac only. Examine these after riding on fresh tarmac and they look like they've gone through a meat-grinder (although they do smooth out the ride wonderfully).

So if you want to deal with the headache of finding these in stock, getting them mounted, and mounted again after compound wears through in no time, running back and forth to your LBS to get help, all the while training and racing on your backup wheelset, all for a very expensive tire....if you want to deal with all that then you will definitely enjoy the ride, feel, and handling.

For me personally after two years of usage I'm giving them up, not worth it. I'll mount some nice 700x25 (to soften up ride a bit over 23mm) tubed tires on my dura ace wheelset and not look back.

[Dec 17, 2011]
jtompilot

OVERALL
Strength:

One flat in three years.

hard to mount.

I've been using the fusion2 for three years and only flated one when the tire was worn out and a wet road finally got me.

I like the tubeless system so much I bought the Campy Shamal 2-way wheels and have been running the Fusion 3's without sealant. I did get hutch's sealant bet never used it. I have now just purchased the campy zonda 2-way to replace my Stans/ghetto conversion wheels and just run my two campy tubeless wheels.

[Nov 25, 2011]
Major Ruckus

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride nice when they are properly inflated

Better hope these don't deflate because you'll never get them reseated!

I bought the Hutchinson Fusion 3 Road Tubeless bundle from Stan's about 10 months ago for my brand new Shimano RS-80 wheelset. I liked the idea of reduced rotational weight and the flat resistance that these tires promise. I mounted them per the instructions, they inflated right up and things seemed great.

Unfortunately, I have not ridden these tires much this year due mostly to a cross-country move and a new job. In fact, my tires still have the center ridge on them. I went to my basement about a month ago to ride my trainer and inflated my front tire to about 100 psi because it had lost a bit of air. I even spun it around a few times to make sure the sealant had not pooled at the bottom. A few weeks after that I went to take my bike for a ride and the tire was completely flat. Zero pressure. I tried to get the tire to reseat to no avail. All it did was spit sealant out from all around the bead. I even removed the tire, cleaned away all of the coagulated sealant, and tried again. No luck. I also removed the valve core on my still inflated rear wheel, added an ounce of fresh sealant (as the instructions say to do every few months) and tried to re-inflate the tire. Again, sealant everywhere!

It appears that the tire bead stretches over time and deflating a sealed tire breaks the bead making it impossible to then re-inflate the tire. I am now forced to run tubes in both of my wheels, which is what I hoped to avoid by buying these tires. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with this product, especially considering the time I spent to install these tires and how much I spent for them. I could have purchased a much higher quality set of tubed tires for less than I paid for these.

Don't waste your time and money!!

[Jul 21, 2011]
Uncle Lar

OVERALL
Strength:

Well, they did roll for approx 500 miles trouble free, but I can get this off any premium clincher.

Very difficult to install. Could leave you stranded. Typical Hutchinson quality, or at least the quality from about 20 Hutchinson Tubulars in the 70's, bought three tires, one was defective. At 90 bucks a pop they should not have any that are defective.

I got a flat tire east of Argonne during an HTC interval and know why I will never ride tubeless tires to work again. The nut that holds the valve stem has to be so tight that I could not get it off to fix the tire even though I had tubes. I had to use pliers when I got to work. They are very hard to install between the rigid casing and various pieces that must seal. The road repair sounds easy in print, but is functionally difficult. I pinch flated both my spare tubes trying to reinstall the tire because of the stiff bead and this was not by the roadside.

I did not have the air/sealer sold by Hutchinson. This may have worked as I think the puncture was caused by glass poke judging from the tire.

The tires are heavy and I do not think they ride any better than traditional tubed tires. I use 95 lbs of pressure. The adds about "riding like tubulars" is baloney. Nothing rides like tubulars except tubulars.