Hutchinson Reflex Gold Tires - Clincher

[Jun 30, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip, cool looking.

Tires are coming apart after 6 months, prone to flats.

I'm not very happy with these tires. I've used them for almost 6 months and my rear tire is currently a wreck and needs to be replaced. There are cuts in the sidewalls and I get a flat about once every two weeks.

[Oct 02, 2003]
str8six

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent ride, good grip, fast

None to speak of

I have put about 800 miles on these tires (700x20) in the last 1 1/2 seasons with only one flat (I went off of the road into a gully). As the tread wears it begins to show voids in the compound, however, no major tears. I am an afficianado of cheap tires and these are among the best I have used.

Gavia, kenda, Continental

[Sep 17, 2003]
Kevin in SC

OVERALL
Strength:

Great looking (I'm partial to yellow accents), balance of fast ride, a little more comfort, and great grip.

Complaints about Hutchinson's reliability needs to be put in context. To retain grip while reducing low rolling resistance all H products rely on softer rubber compounds in varying configurations. Do H. tires wear out faster than other tires? Probably. Do the have the best grip to speed ratio in the business. Absolutely. At $20, these Reflexes are a steal if you get 1,000 good miles out of them. As I said above, I rolled over 1,800 on the even less sturdy carbon comps.

While I have used RBR and MTBR many times for guidance in making purchases, I have never before felt compelled to submit a review. But after slapping on these new Hutchinson Reflexs I had to chime in. Simply put, these tires rock. Like all Hutchinson products, the # 1 factor is low rolling resistance. I have run my Hutchinson Carbon Comp Golds for 1,800 miles and there is a REASON that H's are THE choice of the top Tour de France teams (including U.S. Postal). They're fast! I decided to try the Reflexes after I flat spotted my rear Comp when I misjudged a turn on a descent. Anyway, the Reflexes roll smooth and fast like the Comps with the addition of a much softer and "springy" ride. They are ideal for training on my rough country roads. Almost like a have a bouncey mtb tire under you but still wicked fast. I'll address the supposed "reliability" question below

Carbon Competition Gold, Python Gold, Alligator Gold, Mosquito Gold

[Aug 16, 2003]
transistor

OVERALL
Strength:

initially its doesn't have a bad ride for a tire with as much rubber, but that's being generous

flats, flats, flats, wears quickly heavy I imagine though i don't really know

omg! what junk! I thought these would be great training tires with a thick gummy tread. Boy was I wrong. After just 500 miles it had squared off and if was getting several flats and there were several large cuts in the tire. pathetic

you name it!

[Aug 07, 2003]
Nikolo

OVERALL
Strength:

a little fast

the tyre itself

I think it's a dangerous tyre. I had three flats after only 600 kms. The sidewall was full of cuts.If you are heavy rider like me 90kg (200lbs) dont use it.

conti 3000

[Oct 23, 2002]
jw25

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Supple casing Sticky rubber Looks good

Soft rubber wears fast and cuts easily

I bought these after good experiences with a pair of Success Golds and some Python Golds on the mountain bike. Hutchinson seems to have casing design down - every tire I've tried of theirs has a thick tread layer, but very flexible sidewalls, which gives a nice contact patch and a great ride. The 4X extrusion is nice to look at, though the effectiveness of the Gold stripes is questionable. The stripes aren't centered all the way around, so your wheels look out of true, but so what? I did get a 1/4" slice in the rear, not sure from what, but it didn't penetrate the casing, so I superglued it back together and kept riding. The tread has worn down significantly in 500 miles, though - the rear is squaring off, like a GP 3000, and combined with the soft rubber, I'll be lucky to get 500 more out of it. These seem to run a lttle narrow, too, compared to Conti and Michelins. Definitely good for the price, though, and great for fast training rides.

Panaracer Stradius Pro, Vittoria Open CX TT and Rubino Pro, Pariba Pro-Crit, Conti GP 3000 and Supersonic

[Sep 24, 2002]
Todd

OVERALL
Strength:

I guess they're somewhat pretty.

Weak tires, flat easy. Did I mention they flat easy.

I should have known that if there weren't any reviews, I should have held off on purchasing these. Needless to say, heed this advice, even though they're cheap, they're cheap. Flats, flats, and more flats.