IRC Paperlite Plus Clincher Tires - Clincher

Slick tread with rain grooves. For racing, time trials and fast training.

[Sep 18, 2015]
Paul W.

OVERALL
Strength:

High thread-per inch-count: 220
High pressure: 130 psi.
Gumwall!
Durable
Light
Fast
Good Looking
Easy-to-mount

Some of the best training tires I have ever used. I would not hesitate to race or T. T. in them.
700x23 weighs 155g.
The high thread count gives a supple ride, even on such a narrow tire at high pressure.
(I use 110 p.s.i.).
These are incredibly fast and agile tires, but are not forgiving in corners. (They will do what you tell them).
This can be good or bad, but if you know what you're doing, you can use them.
The profile is fairly low, and they are fairly narrow (my Hutch Atom Comps are narrower).
I can't say enough good about these dis-continued tires. I consider myself lucky to have found some for $45.00 apiece. (I would try the Paperlite Aqua if I could find some).
If you have an older bike and want to put some of the highest-performing gumwalls ever seen by man on it, then look no further.

Bontrager Select K
Bontrager Race All Weather Hardcase
IRC Redstorm Street
Hutchinson Fusion Comp
Hutchinson Atom Comp

[Mar 03, 2003]
mhchin

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight as the name implies (155 g - 650c size). Sticks well to the road. Low rolling resistance. Great value for the money

No Kevlar belt or other puncture protection.

I have put about 500 miles on the IRC Paperlite Plus tires w/ the Kevlar bead (650c x 20) using my Cannondale BadBoy. So far, so good - no blowouts or punctures (knock on wood). I love these tires for the price, weight, and performance. Supple yet responsive.

Michelin Axial Pro

[Aug 01, 2002]
mickmanchester

OVERALL
Strength:

light, comfortable.

none yet

have done 800K on these and no flats so far. light and reasonably fast. comfortable ride compared to other cheap tyres. I would buy them again.

cheaper contis

[Mar 05, 2002]
schacht99

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultra low weight (155 gm) & price. Reasonable durability with 180 lb rider. Accepts gross overinflation (150 psi).

Very hard to mount on a Dura Ace rim.

The 650X20''s ultra low weight & high pressure=amazing speed & acceleration (2nd in class @ club time trial). Over 2000 miles on rear tire before the first puncture. With 50% of its cord showing, it still held 150 psi. Front tire still has 100% rubber.

Michelin, Continental, etc.

[Apr 03, 2000]
jamie

OVERALL
Strength:

fairly cheap
long lasting

no cornering compound
max pressure is 130psi.

These seem to be good road tires to me. I have put about 2000km. on them, rotating evey 500km. Wear is very good. They corner alright but mine are 23s. Over all they are a good training and occasional race tire. Buy them if you want an affordable average tire. (only 4 stars for the overall rating because i want to use higher pressures than 130.)

michlin something

[Apr 21, 2000]
Kathy

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

Grip

These came stock on my C'dale SR500 in '96. I used them for half a season and then swapped wheels with an older set to use up the old tires. The Paperlites are back on the bike and will probably last for a total of 2 seasons, which is typical for me. I'm a light rider and usually get 3-4000 miles from a rear tire. Front tires usually die from dried out sidewalls in 3-4 years. These aren't bad tires for the weight, but the cornering grip is not awe-inspiring. I like the Michelins Hi Lite Supercompe HD's better for handling.

Michelin Hi Lite, Hite Lite Comp, Hi Lite Supercompe HD, Vittoria Open Pro, Specialized Turbos, Avocet Fastgrip

[Apr 26, 2000]
john

OVERALL
Strength:

they look nice

low threads per inch count, weight, two flats in two rides.

these things suck. i can't imagine a worse tyre.

vredestein tricomps, specialized turbo, vittoria twin tread

[Sep 25, 2000]
Tom Chandler

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice, relatively soft road feel. Light & cheap.

Wear quickly.

I switched from tubies to these tires and was pleasantly surprised by the feel. Smoother (or softer) than the Vredsteins that replaced them (both 23s). They're a very light tire that feels wonderful when riding, but they wear very quickly -- probably a great choice for an affordable racing tire. If you're light (I'm not) then they might work as a training tire -- the feel might be worth it. Heavier riders probably won't get more than 1000 KM from these.

Hey, life's short and these tires are cheap, so why not ride something that feels good.

Vredsteins, Conti Grand Prix

[Jul 09, 2001]
CW

OVERALL
Strength:

light,durable

I have 1500 miles on them and flatted only once,they have taken a good beating on some unforgiving roads.

Specialized Turbo

[Aug 03, 2001]
steve

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, low rolling resistance, cheap.

Extremely fragile

I got these as standard on the bike. After 500 miles, the rear tyre wall split and caused a fast flat whilst travelling downhill at around 35mph. Pretty hairy. I weigh in at 155lbs.

I would say this is a cheap, light option as a race day only tyre. Low rolling resistance due to almost slick treads, but fragile.

Vredestein Fortezza