IRC Red Storm Tires - Clincher

700cx25mm, Red, Kevlar, w/CAF. Carbon fiber threads and Kevlar chips stregthen sidewalls without adding weight. Pinch Resistant Foam in casing to reduce pinch flats and Glass Silica Compound in the tread for low rolling resistance. 230g

[Oct 14, 2013]
Les Dunham

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, inexpensive, and a great training tire.

Wears slightly quicker than more expensive tires.

I have used IRC Redstorms for the better part of 6 years now. Each year 3k - 4,700 miles. I use 3 per year. Change both in the spring and change the front tire at about 2,400 miles. The last flat I had on the road was in 2009 on TOSRV when the seam in the tube gave out (temp ~85 degrees f). It looks like Pricepoint is no longer selling them.

[Sep 04, 2013]
Paul Whitcomb

OVERALL
Strength:

Light

Sidewalls

I bought a set of the 23mm Redstorm Street tires and Put them on. About 15 miles into a club ride (near the turn-around point), my front tire exploded, but I remained upright till I brought the bike to a halt. About 8" of the sidewall had been torn to shreds and was off the rim. I had never had this happen before to a tire, and the club leader said it was "...the worst blowout on a front tire he had ever seen". I had inflated the tires to precisely 110 lbs before the ride. This, of course, is their recommended pressure.
I think that I may have damaged the cheap sidewalls with my heavy-handed removal and installation, but, like I say, this had never happened prior to this incident (I've been riding since 1981). I would like to add that that there seem to be an overabundance of rubber "threads" hanging down, sloppily, over the brake track on the rim. I have seen these threads occasionally on other kinds of tires, but never this many. One more thing: The label on the tire had been covered over with another label, which was not accurately placed. I easily peeled off the one on top.
Maybe foolishly, I left the rear Redstorm Street on the bike, and I have since ridden it about 200 trouble-free miles. I have since refined my tire mounting/dismounting technique. Be really careful with the sidewalls on these tires.

[Sep 10, 2009]
seckardt

OVERALL
Strength:

Price
Weight (light as any high-end tire)

Quality
Longevity

I have used these and also the Redstorm Street version for 4-5 years now. Always bought from Price Point because of (you guessed it) the unbelievably low price. Today I noticed the front tire, which has only ~100 miles on it, is starting to separate or split at in 3 places around the circumference. This tire also had a "kink" in it that at first glance made it look like the wheel needed to be trued. Shouldn't see this problem in the first 100 miles, at least. Also, the tire I replaced it with (from my bike I commute to work with) has a weak spot on the sidewall that will probably give out sooner or later. This one has about 6 months of riding on it. Max psi for these tires is 130 and I never go past 115.
Needlass to say, I am considerably disappointed in these latest tires. Don't know if this was just a bad manufacturing lot, or if this is the quality level now.
I switched to these from Vittoria and Panaracer because of the price and, at the time, these were IMO comparable replecements. Not any more I guess......

Panaracer Stradius Elite
Vittoria Rubino Pro
Vittoria EVO Corsa CX

[Aug 14, 2009]
Slip Stream

OVERALL
Strength:

Puncture resistant.

Too hard rubber compound. Weak threads led to blow out. Low mileage.

I like cheap, strong, high mileage tires. This tire is cheap and strong, but did not last long. It is made a very dense rubber that skids easily. It is easy to lock your brakes and flat spot. The hard rubber splits easily but does not puncture easily. After about 1,000 miles the tire went BOOM! The threads tore and that was the end of the tire. It broke from the inside out. This was the first and only tire blow out I had ever experienced.

At 10,000-15,000 miles a year, I have ridden many different brands. Most last 2,000-4,000 miles.

[May 12, 2009]
mfdemicco

OVERALL
Strength:

Resistance to flats, smooth ride.

Wear out too quick. The only tire I ever had that wore out quicker was a Bontrager.

Not a bad tire for the price, however the rear tire wore out in 1350 miles. Continental Ultra 2000s I had lasted at least twice the mileage and cost me the same (wire bead, however).

Conti Ultra 2000s. Michelin Hilite Comp, SuperComp HD. Bontragers. IRC Triathlons.

[Jan 20, 2009]
crikki

OVERALL
Strength:

easy mounting
price!

none................

this review is for the IRC Red Storm Kevlars'.
i bought this pair to save my Michelin Krylions for my next double century.
hell i may just keep the IRCs' on!
real easy to mount!
rode them on a recent training ride through chico (honey run and table mountain) and they handled fantastic!
just as well as my Krylions' at half the price for a pair versues one tire!

Contis', Michelion Krylions

[Jul 22, 2008]
bigBooner

OVERALL
Strength:

price

I'm a grad student on a grad student budget, so i splurged 25 bucks for a pair of these and they're working out well. So far, an excellent training tire, no slices from all the gravel I get on...has a sort of spongy, soft ride quality that's comfortable...I like it for the everyday miles, and I can still race with the local speed rides. They've earned my confidence in corners almost as well as some of the racing tires I've had. Recommended everyday tire.

hutch fusion comp, axial pro, gatorskins, etc

[Mar 26, 2007]
Ben

OVERALL

It is not a race tire and doesn't perform like one so don't expect it to. I use this tire for training and commuting and its great. The price is low, it handles pretty decent pressure. I was getting at least 5 flats a week on the tires i was riding before, sometimes more than one a day. When i started using these tires in conjunction with a tuffy liners, i went to about 1 flat every couple of weeks. In short, best training/commuting tires i've used, and i have tried a lot of different ones

[Apr 09, 2006]
drummerboy1248

OVERALL
Strength:

Long wearing. Corner well. Low price ($24.98 / pair).

Not the best road feel. Kinda plain looking.... no BLING.

I bought a pair of the Red Storms in 2005 and rode them 2000 miles before needing replacement. Even then, it was really only the rear tire that was worn badly and starting to flat. It saw alot of trainer time during the winter and therefore had more miles on it than the front. They have a supple ride quality. Almost 'spongy' feeling yet they stick well in hard cornering. They do not have the road feel of the $$$ tires with less rubber content, but they cost 75% less as well. They do not inspire alot of confidence cornering, but I've pushed them pretty hard and they do respond well. Seems like a acceptable trade-off for a set of training tires. I'd highly recommend them as daily riders. I just ordered another set of them.

Michelinn, Specialized, Continental, Hutchinson.

[Mar 20, 2006]
Cyberdolphin

OVERALL
Strength:

affordable, lightweight

weak sidewalls, not german

To soon to tell 100%. tires are lightweight and roll very smoothly, strong agility in corners. Terrific value for your money. I run these tires at 125 psi and encountered a rear blowout, I believe I hit something on the road, but I cant be sure.