IRC Triathlon Clincher with Kevlar Tires - Clincher

Semi-slick tread. For fast training.

[Jan 06, 2007]
Jenn

OVERALL
Strength:

Long Lasting
Flat-proof
Not too heavy

A little rough riding

This tire has been on my commuter bike so long that I can no longer read the date where I wrote it with a Sharpie on the sidewall when I installed it. It probably has at least 5000 miles on it, and probably has gotten fewer than 5 flats (it's been so long since I had a flat, I can't remember).

Forte Kevlar
Michelin

[Jun 16, 2005]
Tikkigod

OVERALL
Strength:

They last like crazy, do a good job preventing flats and have a comfortable ride.

Can't think of any

These tires are on both of my bikes. On the commuter, they last like crazy. I get at least 8-10 months out of them and I commute approx 18 miles, 5-6 days a week. They also feel more comfortable than more expensive tires I have used in the past.

Specialied Turbo. Continental. Hutchensen

[Oct 12, 2003]
psychling78

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, price, consistency of tire -- you always know what you're going to get with this one!

Not a brand I can brag on.

The best for a cheapskate like me. They last forever and keep pressure well. The only time I'm ever had a flat with them has been when I waited to long to replace a tire, something that has to be done every 2000 miles or so.

Michelin Hi-Lite Comp (wears out faster), Ritchey Tom Slick (ditto, and lower psi), Specialized Armadillo (lasts longer, by a little, but far more pricey).

[Mar 31, 2000]
Andy Marchant-Shapiro

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, near-slick, very round (cross-sectionally) training tire. With the exception of a very slight tread, this tire is identical to the much more costly Avocet K20 series (made in the same factory and all).

Slightly harsh riding (you expect that from Kevlar), considerably narrower than the spec'd size (an IRC 25 is smaller than a Michelin 23). The rear tire tends to lose its initial 'roundness' rather quickly, probably due to the Kevlar belt.

I've had mixed luck with these tires. No flats, but I had an unexplained blowout one day. Leaving a quiet intersection, I heard a loud pop and felt the rear end drop. Turns out the tread had a cut halfway across! I could find NO road garbage that could have caused that cut, and I think Kevlar belts should be more resistant than that.

I was also displeased with how fast the cross-section of the rear tire seemed to flatten; that is likely due to the kevlar belt.

But they're VERY cheap, and they do have a nice feel on corners.

Avocet K20; Michelin Hi-Lite Synergic; Michelin Performer.

[Apr 26, 2000]
Doug

OVERALL
Strength:

Value. they perform well on both wet and dry surfaces. the tire wears well, it has a high pressure rating 115 to 125 depending upon the size and thus is not very prone to pinch flats. Kevlar belt resists flats much better than non-kevlar version. No problems with sidewall cuts.

I have not noted any weaknesses. I have ridden some pairs for two full seasons, I rotate front and rear after one to even out wear.

An excellent value for an inexpensive tire. You get good wet and dry traction, very good milage high pressure for pinch flat protection and the kevlar belt for those annoying road hazards, Perhaps not the best tire on the market, but for an inexpensive training clincher it is hard to beat.

irc triathlon, performance gt performance gtk, continental G.P. 3000

[Aug 08, 2001]
Art Altenbach

OVERALL
Strength:

Holds up well. Rolls nicely. Very few flats. Very good value.

Can't find them in a 23.

These are good tires for the money. I'm not a racer, but I do like to ride fast at times, and I hate getting flats, especially when I'm out on my lunchtime ride and have to be back by 1. I've rarely gotten a flat with these tires. I wish I could get them in a 23, as the 20's can be too narrow for most of my rides, and the 25's seem soft at times, but all in all, a very good tire.

Performance Forte Kevlar (The Yellow ones)- Another good tire, by the way.