Kenda Kontender Tires - Clincher

• Available in L3R and L3RC Compounds
  • Water-dispersion grooves for excellent traction
  • 125 PSI rating for smoother and faster rides
  • Size: 700 x 23c

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 05, 2017]
    Paul

OVERALL
    Strength:

durable
    Cheap

Maybe the weight

I dont know how to rate them in numbers, because its the first time that im going to use another tyres. They worked fine to me, I putted more than 16000 km on them, my last puncture was the time that i found out that the back wheel had a hole, and it was worn out because an emergency break. I only crashed once when I was trying to found out the limit while cornering in a place with grave, not so smart. But, they worked fine, I had some punctures, like 10 or 15 in a year of extense use so, pretty normal )?

[Aug 09, 2013]
    Tom

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durable, comfortable over bumps, good for commuting and winter rides.

Heavy, probably don't want these on your race bike.

I've had these tyres on my bike for a number of years and they have proved themselves to be pretty much indestructible. I usually ride on roads strewn with flints which can be sharper than glass, as well as commuting on fairly busy main roads which contain the usual holes and debris. Apart from a puncture on my first ever ride with them where I must have run over a huge chunk of flint judging by the size of the hole left in my rear tyre I've never had any punctures with these tyres despite putting a few thousand miles on them.

I had the front tyre off the other day and found plenty of shards of flint embedded in it, but none had managed to make it through the kevlar layer to the inner tube, I wouldn't like to say if that was down to luck or good design though!

I also did about 1,000 miles on the turbo trainer with these over the winter and didn't notice particularly accelerated wear, or excessive rubber left on the turbo trainer.

Tyre size was 700 x 26c

[Aug 31, 2011]
    Sara

OVERALL
    Strength:

long lasting

I wore these tires (Kenda Kontender 700x26c) thread bare. I am looking for replacements now. Tires have over 3000 miles on them. 2500+ in one year alone. I have only crashed my bike once. (not tire related) Only a couple of flats this last year. They came with the bike. Even in the city streets. I am happy with them.

[Nov 01, 2009]
    joeyroa

Strength:

Durability... prone to blow outs. can't use on a trainer due to the amount of rubber left on the trainer.

Horrible tires. Purchased two Kontenders to use for indoor training. The first tire separated from the bead in the first training session.

The second faired only marginally better and leaves horrific resin on the fluid trainers.

Back to continentals for indoors and vittoria for outdoors for me.

continentals indoor trainer.

[Oct 26, 2009]
    dan5472

OVERALL
    Strength:

Holding up very well

I only ride when it is dry out so I don't know all tere is to know about them.

Came with my Moto "Sprint"

[Sep 03, 2009]
    jaymz485

OVERALL
    Strength:

Wear nicely
    Stiff ride

Poor puncture resistance.

Tires wore fairly well, I put over 1100 miles on them already and I imagine they would have probably lasted at least another 1100 if I hadn't ridden over a very sharp rock. It put a 5mm gash in the tire. Surprisingly it didn't pop. I was on a ride away from home and a bike shop in the area told me that a little super glue would work, unfortunately I've gone through 2 tubes since then so I have some Michelin Krylions coming my way.

[Aug 27, 2007]
    Stuntmann

OVERALL
    Strength:

EASY to mount

Slow
    Heavy
    Harsh ride

I used these for 800+ miles @ 225 PSI, for 3 months, I'm 210 lbs.

Within this time I had 1 blow out due to over inflation, 3 flats, 1 slow sleaking. 1 slow leaking flat on the front caused me to lockup front and enter a slide as I was taking a fast corner. I recovered without problems.

Front tire had plenty of thread left, and does not show any evidence of wear. Rear tire went from a U shape to square shape, still can be used thought. I noticed that after about 600 miles I began to slow down, perhaps this is due to changed shape of the contact patch in the rear.

Eventually I had to replace these tires in favor of Michelin Pro Race 2, which was a night and day, next time I'm going with something even more lighter!

These tires are suceptable to cuts, and flats, but overall they are good. Of course the ride is harsh.

Michelin Pro Race 2

[Feb 21, 2007]
    biKEGuam

OVERALL
    Strength:

Tough tire, took a large pothole to kill them. 125 max psi

Harsh ride. Wire bead, seem heavy compared to kevlar beaded tires.

This review is for the 700x23 Wire bead. These tire came on my bike and I was impreesed by the 125psi max pressure, especially for an econo tire like this. I wasn't riding the bike much, only logged 370 mile in a year, ya I know I'm a slug. Theses tire performed well in all conditions. I only experianced one small cut in the tread. Decided to try out some thing new and ordered some Maxxis Detonantors and while waiting for my new banana skins to arive I hit a pothole and had a double blow out. The front tire was unhurt but the back tire had torn through next to the bead and is now unusable. I kept the front for a spare. These tire ride harsh compared to the Maxxis detonators. I weigh in at 180lbs and tread wear was non-existant so I think these tire would have lasted many more miles than I had a cahnce to put on them. The aren't available anymore but came be found on sale for ten bucks a piece at the Kenda web site. Due to the low price and decent durability and no hype saying that this is a great tire I have to say this is a good tire if you are on a tight budget. Three Chilis!!!

Maxxis Detonators

[Dec 01, 2006]
    The Dewd

OVERALL
    Strength:

Tough tire, can really take a beating.
    Wears well.
    Cheap and effective!

Heavy because of wire bead.
    Not good at absorbing road shock.

I'm one of those guys that likes to jump curbs and bunny hop on my road bike. I've ridden gravelly roads and through the usual litter of broken glass found around town without any flats. After 1500 miles I have not noticed any wear or flat spots to write home about.

The ride is rough, even at 115psi (125 is the max). Corners OK, but does not inspire much confidence (maybe it's just me?)

Due to the low price, I did not expect this tire to last so long. I was pleasantly surprised.

[Dec 01, 2006]
    The Dewd

OVERALL
    Strength:

Tough tire, can really take a beating.
    Wears well.
    Cheap and effective!

Heavy because of wire bead.
    Not good at absorbing road shock.