Kenda Kriterium Tires - Clincher

The Kriterium is Kenda's lightweight race tire that shines when the sun doesn't. Water siping grooves on the sides assure all-weather confidence. The...

[Sep 15, 2014]
Diego

OVERALL
Strength:

Even though narrower than the tire it replaced, I didn't notice any difference in comfort

Narrow

Not true to size on my rims. My Ritchey and Specialized tires were pretty true to size on my rims but these measured about 2mm narrow. I have the endurance wire bead 25 version.

[Aug 09, 2012]
Judorider

OVERALL
Strength:

very strong no flats ride great

heavy rolls medium speed

good tires for a stock set

[Nov 15, 2011]
John V

OVERALL
Strength:

Have held up in every type of riding over the past year.

Haven't found any as of yet.

The tires were OEM on my Giant Defy that I purchased a year ago. I have ridden in several long distance charity rides since then and have put almost 3,000 miles on the bike and tires. To this day, I have yet to have had the first flat on either tire. My only problem is that I can't find a local dealer and I don't really want to purchase these tires on-line.

None.

[Jul 17, 2011]
Larz

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap
Low puncture rate in dry conditions
Average grip

After a year, I am starting to get flats on many trips in wet weather (probably around 1000 km).

As many others, I got these equipped on a stock Giant bike.

The did well for a year. When going for rides, I have to exit the urban area, which sometimes have pieces of glass etc. on the bike lanes. The tires did well.

After a year however, I am starting to get punctures left and right when riding in wet conditions.

I am now planning to ditch the tires.

Schwalbe Lugano

[Jul 04, 2011]
Casey

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively smooth ride for a road bike. Rolls.

Very prone to flats.

I picked up a 2011 Giant Defy this year with the stock Kendra tires and Giant tubes. I get flats in my back tire every other ride, sometimes every ride. It seems to happen at the 50 mile mark or so. It's very frustrating.

Continental Gators.

[Mar 07, 2011]
charlox5

OVERALL
Strength:

round

too many flats

Got about 500 miles on these tires without too many issues. After that point it was nothing but flats. Got stranded on a sunday training ride when I had had enough.

They were OEM tires on my Defy 1, and they weren't impressive in any way--but decent until they got flat happy.

Wet traction wasn't very good. These tires were on the bike when I had a pretty bad crash in the wet. Granted, the painted stripe may have come into play, but even on wet asphalt they weren't "confidence" inspiring.

[Dec 30, 2010]
UBUhorn

OVERALL
Strength:

reliability, smooth, responsive, pure value

probably could be 'faster' but this isn't a time trial tire. i'll be abusing these in some road races this spring and see if i can blame a DNF on the tire!

i'm only 145-50 pounds and use the road bike (Giant Defy) mostly as in the spring and summer (and early fall) but have found these tires to work well without ANY problems and MANY miles on the Schuylkill River Trail, Ridley Creek State Park (terrible for road tires actually) and 2x on the Escape New York ride (100+ miles of a variety of road conditions from rr tracks, potholes, etc). i've hit cobblestones in Manayunk, gravel and other unintended pathways, but these have held up on their on accord as well as my regulation in speed when i find myself in conditions that challenge the tires/bike. as a mountain biker and cyclocrosser, i like the rougher paths and have given this bike and tire set a Tour of Flanders treatment at times, but so far, so good! maybe the Alex rims and he Kriteriums are simply a great match, too

[Aug 26, 2010]
tony

punctures easily

like most other reviews here these tires came on my 2009 giant defy 3; i rode about 200 miles on and off for 5 months without much problem...however i just went to ride in a 100mile fundraiser in one day and got 2 front flats and a 1 back flat...needless to say i didn't get to complete my first century ride... i'm looking around today to find something better

[Aug 12, 2010]
Keir James

OVERALL
Strength:

They roll.

I'm no expert but it seems like a pair of tires should last longer than 2 months.

Either I'm unlucky or these are horrible tires. They came on a brand new Giant Defy 3 road bike I bought 2 months ago, already I've moved onto a new pair of tires. Both Kenda tires blew out on separate occasions. Bulges, holes, cuts. And I treat my bike like gold! Never go onto unpaved surface.

[Aug 05, 2010]
Nichole

OVERALL
Strength:

Low Price
Good for training/recreational/commuting
Overall Durability

Flat somewhat easily without an insert

These tires were stock on my 2009 Giant Defy 1. Now, one year and 2,500 miles later it is time for them to retire. About a month or two ago I began to notice a bit of bulging on one spot and the bulges seemed to multiply after that.

As for puncture resistance, they don't have much. I got flats semi-frequently until I installed a StopFlats liner, which helped considerably against things like thorns and glass.

They did well in wet conditions just as long as commonsensical speeds were applied. There were a couple of instances in which I could feel myself losing traction and practically "drifting" around corners, but that was just because I was being stupid.

This has been my first road bike experience, so I have little to offer on the weight issue. Against a mountain bike tire the 255ish grams (700x25) seemed weightless to me, but perhaps that will change once my new tires come in (700x23, ~235g Vredestein Fortezza TriComps are on the way).

In my opinion, what you get overall is perfectly fair for the price. It's not marketed as a super fast, super light racing tire, but rather a modest, trustworthy, durable tire that will get you where you need to go. I think it does just that, nothing less and nothing more.