Maxxis Courchevel Tires - Clincher

Maxxis continues pushing the boundaries of the road racing market. In the clincher category the new Courchevel is taking a flyer off the front for the win. Triple Compound Technology offers long wear life great traction and better transition from compound to compound. Kevlar belt technology provides puncture resistance. 205 grams foldable casing. Your choice of GreyBlack or OrangeGrey. 700x23. Features and Benefits include High Dispersion Silica center tread for long life and low rol...

[Aug 03, 2014]
Jamie Anderson

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast race tyre, and very comfortable. Excellent puncture resistance, but to be even safer use with latex inner tube sealant like Stans or Cafelatex.

Slick tread, so can be slippery on wet roads.

A little bit strange to read such mixed reviews on this tyre. It is one of the fastest clinchers I have used in more than 15 years of cycle racing, and puncture resistance is good for a lightweight race-specific tyre. If you are worried about punctures, use a latex inner tube sealant such as Stans or Cafelatex. I do this with all of my race & training wheels, and punctures are very, very rare. I train and race in Belgium, and the roads can be very rough, with a lot of holes and cobbles. So best quality for me in the Maxxis Courcheval is the comfort - although a 23c tyre, they seem to have a larger case profile than many other 23c tyres, and ride much more like 25c - which is what most pro teams use today.

Continental GP4000

[Aug 10, 2013]
Bill

OVERALL
Strength:

I already have 1100 miles on my first set of those. They roll great, they grip great, they corner great. There are some cracks on the tire surface now, but they still have plenty of life on them. I inflate them at 110-115 psi (front-rear) just in case, although I could go slightly lower (100-110). Both rider and bicycle weigh 180 pounds. I only had two punctures till now (one on the front was a slow puncture due to low pressure and a heavy curb hit) and one on the rear caused by a huge shred of glass. So both of them due to careless riding... Apart from the technical stuff, these tires look great on my bike (black orange scheme for both frame and tires).

Some cracks on the surface but not something major

Great performance tire. If you can find it with huge discount buy without a doubt.

[Jul 27, 2013]
Henry .M Dyckmans

OVERALL
Strength:

they exert confidence.very good on cornering.Poncture proof,100%

none for me. I have ridden 6000 .kms on two set

I have found a place that was selling them rock bottom. bought 5 sets. I am on my third one ,not a single flat. I recommend to not inflate more than 100,or 105. More than that you are going for trouble specially if you happen to skeed. The top layer will delaminate in an instant and the tire is gone.I am pretty sure some of you ,have already found that out. I read some reviews where some smart dude mentioned that He was proud to inflate his Courchevel at 130 psi .Right there I would be worried before I would get on the bike. by the way I am 65 years of age, and ride a steel bike (Vitus 980 custom. mavic wheels and all the rest 105 trough out. My average is 450 kms per week. good luck you young ones

[Apr 26, 2012]
Graham Findlater

OVERALL
Strength:

A light and durable sportive tyre. A technology packed clincher. Triple compound tread. Two puncture protection technologies.

Pricy. But this is an unusual tyre. hHigh performance by all the normal clincher measures and well as robust and durable!

A tyre aimed at racing, sportive riding and training! A triple compound tread and Kevlar composite puncture protection. The Courchevel is named after the famous mountain top stage of the Tour de France and it's packed full of innovation. This tyre promises to tick all the boxes, and should do, as Maxxis knows how to makes tyres for a massive range of applications - from Motor Sport to MTB to Urban riding.

The grip is excellent. I like descending fast and although not yet tested on tight hairpin bends, these tyres are very grippy and very stable under hard breaking. The traction as you hit maximum lean on the apex is excellent. Even when I was caught out over some wet loose gravel I was impressed with their stability. Triple compound tread technology from motorbike racing is here for cyclists!

Maxxis state 225g as the weight, but surprisingly my set weighed in at 208g a piece! The Maxxis Courchevel is certainly on the edge of lightweight high-performance tyres.

The Maxxis Courchevel is easy to mount, triple compound grip is superb and they also provide a light grippy feel when standing up to accelerate: nice. Let’s see how they wear but the claimed puncture protection for this tyre compared to weight is excellent.

For a full review go to: http://bityrestr2.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/maxxis-courchevel-3c-23c-review-test.html

[Aug 03, 2011]
CipoWins42

OVERALL
Strength:

Zero

Obviously the construction.

DO NOT BUY! Mounted four this weekend, one exploded and another has a bulge.

Kinda, Michelin

[Jul 04, 2011]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

They're fast - rolling resistance is minimum.

Anything, and I do mean anything, can puncture these things!

I have put 200 miles on these tires. They're fast, for sure - however, I've had three flats in the last two weeks, and - as far as regular, training road riding goes - these tires SUCK! That is, they seem to suck up every bad thing that can be found on the road, anyway!

Oh well, back to Gatorskins!

Serfas Seca (used a pair with no issues for more than 4000 miles), Vittoria Open Corsa EVO

[Jul 26, 2010]
ridingman1

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, high pressure (130psi), light weight.

tread separation, bulging and blowout, unreliable. DO NOT BUY

Tires perform well for first 300 miles, then have problems with tread separation and bulging that ultimately leads to catastrophic failure (blowout). Left me standed on more than one occasion.

Michelin ProRace, Continental Grandprix

[Jul 24, 2009]
mdavis121212

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Ride. Resistance to flats.

Develops Bulges. Believe there some real safety issues with this tire.

At first I loved these tires. They seemed to have to suppleness of the Conti 4000 but with the bulletproof toughness of the Vredestein tires. I was all set to make these my tire of choice. However this past week I had a big bulge form on my rear tire. When I looked at the inside it seemed like the threads were seperating from the inside. Very disappointing. But I wonder if they overrated the pressure rating at 130 PSI. It might be better if you run these at 120 PSI.

Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp
Conti 4000

[Jun 21, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

None, they are junk

Bad constuction

DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES.....The inner cords broke causing the tire to go out of shape after only one month of riding.

Continental 4000 ( the best)

[Jun 05, 2009]

poor traction,tread seperation.

was not happy at all with these tires.Both tires has tread seperation problems.Do not waste you money on these tires.

vittorio evo cx-fab tire