Maxxis Detonator Tires - Clincher

With its reliable grip durable tread and affordable price tag the Detonator is well suited for Winter training Summer racing and all your rides in between. The Maxxis dual compound tread uses M-shaped grooves to offer a great combination of traction and speed with great water dispersal. Silkworm puncture barrier provides bead to bead protection. 700c x 23mm. 60 TPI casing. 120 max PSI. Folding bead. Available in a various colors. 235g.

[Jun 15, 2016]
Titus

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, rolling resistance, weight, little wear.

Lower grip with high pressures.

Interesting that everyone is complaining about punctures.
I run this tires for almost 6000km now - on the road of course and occasionally in the forest. I had maybe 3 punctures until now but this is very acceptable...
Very fast tires for the road. I use the 26" 1.5 version on a mountain bike modified for road use. You can feel the difference in effort (lower effort) compared to other brands.
I use them mostly in the city.
Side grip is a little low but that is just normal for this size and tread.
The wear is very decent - i had tires that wear faster but the grip was worse. I used them every summer for the past 3 years and they are not even 50% tread wear.

Schwalbe, Irc, Continental.

[Mar 02, 2016]
Randy Snelling

OVERALL
Strength:

I have had two sets of these and am completely satisfied having put over 2000 miles on each set. No problems with punctures until later on in the tires life.

none really to speak of

have had two sets of these and am completely satisfied having put over 2000 miles on each set. No problems with punctures until later on in the tires life. I would recommend these tires to the recreational rider with no reservations.

[Dec 02, 2014]
Stephanie Boartight

OVERALL
Strength:

Look pretty, roll well, reasonable grip

Cut easily and puncture easily, not suitable for urban riding or on sharp gravel.

I got these on my brand new 2015 Whyte bike just 7 weeks ago and in that time I have had 5 punctures, they seem to be OK in the dry and actually roll really well but in the wet you can almost guarantee a puncture. When I took them off today to replace them with Gatorskins the tread was full of cuts - I can't have cycled more than around 100 miles in the time I have had the bike but they were in very poor condition.

I would not recommend these, buy something more robust.

Continental Gatorskin 700cx23

[Jan 08, 2014]
vic

OVERALL
Strength:

Price

I have had 5 flats with these tires in about 200 miles of riding.

Not recommended.

[Apr 04, 2013]
yone

OVERALL
Strength:

Good grip

hard to put on rims, worn up fast comparing with other tyres I used.

I have this tyres for 2 months (around 300 miles). No punctures at all. But, they worn up fast, especially rear tyre.

[Jul 10, 2012]
JOSH

OVERALL
Strength:

cool colours.... good grip

fitst ride 35kms 3 puncture flats

DO NOT BUY THESE TIRES.

[Jan 31, 2012]
Oren

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, grip, speed - ok for their price.

Eat up gravel and puncture a lot.

Purchased these tires for training in the Winter. While their grip and roll is ok, they keep puncturing, despite being brand new. Especially when it's wet. I've flattened three times in the recent five or six rides. Other tires have lasted hundred of kilometers without puncturing under the same conditions. Feels like these tires are made of margarine - they simply eat up little pieces of gravel and rocks, and embed them in the tire wall. The only good thing I have to say about them is that once you get a flat, they are thick enough so you can continue rolling until a safe stop to change the flat is found. They might do better in dry conditions. A classic case of "you get what you pay for". Though there are many better options out there. Comparably, I've ridden with Vittoria Zaffiro regular/pro's - While their ride is harsher, they are far more resistant.
Avoid these and invest in a higher quality tire.

Vittoria Zaffiro, Vittoria Zaffiro pro, Vittoria Rubino Pro, Michelin Pro3 race and light, vredestein fortezza tricomp, Hutchinson fusion 3 (another product to avoid).

[Jan 13, 2012]
Peter

OVERALL
Strength:

They roll well.

Punctures.

This tyre came on the first and only bike I have ever had. I commute about 200kms per week.
I hope there are better types than this in the marketplace. Todate I have just rolled up 1600kms and I have had about 20 punctures. My colleagues have nick named me "puncture Pete". In desperation I went to a local bike shop and they suggested some tyre liners which have helped a lot. I have only had a few punctures in the last 600 ks.

None to date

[Jun 03, 2011]
Peter Jacobsen

OVERALL
Strength:

Grips the road well. Can take high pressure (up to 100 psi). Smooth ride.

Limited, if any, puncture protection.

I bought these tires to ride from Shanghai to Saigon. They're not puncture-proof (10 flats in 5000 km) but I've been surprised at how long they last. I would say they have at least another 2000 km in them, if not more.

Up to now, there is no evidence of cracks or any wear aside from the part that grips the road. The sidewalls still look like new.

None. These are my first touring tires.

[Jan 19, 2011]
thegeneralBPT

OVERALL
Strength:

...

puncture prone during basic city commuting

Detonate is exactly what these tires do. I had a stretch where I had 4 punctures in 5 days...front and back tires. You are better off riding bare innertubes wrapped in duct tape

replaced with Panaracer ribmo PT with no problems