Michelin Axial Carbon Tires - Clincher

• High density carbon casing with protective fabric ply sandwiched between overlapped casing plies for a total of 4 plies under the tread.
  • Carbon-reinforced matte-finish slick tread for higher mileage (up to 3800 miles) and better cut resistance.
  • Flexible Kevlar® bead

• USER REVIEWS

[Dec 30, 2018]
    Rodley

OVERALL
    Strength:

Bought a pair of axial carbons about 12yrs ago ! along with a pair of Mavic Kryseriums and they are all working well,but the Michelins are showing sidewall threads so will replace.The tread is still looking unworn apart from the odd shallow cut, cannot recall any punctures but I don't keep a record,have TT'd on but mainly have used them for everyday riding over varied terrain out here in Berks, must by some more,didn't know they were still being made. Bonjour M.Bibdenum!

None.what I can find.

Purchased:
    New
    [Sep 26, 2007]
    racer

OVERALL
    Strength:

Dry roads, high miles, I like the Schwalbb better! you must own them and see The world of difference,

Cuting of tire

this is my second favorite tire i like it more then the Conti 4000 with Vectran conti let me down with side wall and debree altho they are a good wet riding tire I am Pleased with The new schwalbee ultrimo used them in the last few crits ant they are Awsome say no more.

long list,bontrager select, conti 2000 conti 4000 vectran, Schwalbee Ultrimo best tire in a clincher i've ridden"

[Dec 08, 2006]
    AJ68

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durable, inexpensive, folding bead

A little hard and have more rolling resistance than the Contis.

Two words - no flats. They feel a little harder than the Conti 2000s I used to ride, but so far not a single flat (knock wood) even though the city streets on which I ride have lots of glass. Minimal signs of wear so far except fine sidewall cracks.

Continental 2000, Continental Giro and Sprinter (tubulars)

[Jan 22, 2006]
    fuzznardo

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great traction on wet pavement. No flats - so far.

None.

Rode these tires on a very hilly, very wet and rainy day. The traction was excellent - not one slip. Not wet weather flats like I used to get with my old Hutchinson Carbon Comps. So far, so good.

Hutchinson Carbon Comp - horrible tire. Specialized tire - not sure which model, but sidewalls were severely cracking after a short time.

[Sep 12, 2005]
    orangefrog529

OVERALL
    Strength:

bulletproof, roll well

They were a pain to get on, but I know they're not coming off.

These tires were a Christmas present almost two years ago. After 1500 miles and NO flats they are definitely bulletproof. I've run over some pretty nasty stuff too, stuff I would expect a flat from - glass, repeated potholes on downhills, screws.

Continental 2000/3000

[Sep 01, 2005]
    xorsis712

OVERALL
    Strength:

Puncture resistance Mileage

None to speak of.

These tires already had several thousand miles on them, and a tear in one sidewall, when a friend gave them to me. In my use of them I have only had one flat, and that was because I underestimated the danger of the sidewall tear; having patched the tear I have never had another flat. I consider the tires to have a zero flat record in my possession as there was never actually a puncture; how my friend put a tear in the sidewall I do not know. I find the lack of punctures quite impressive; I have found shards of metal and glass lodged in the tire after some rides. Michelin declares these tires will last "up to 3800 miles." This claim in an understatement. As I said, they had several thousand miles (sorry, no exact figure) on them when I received them. Since then I have put 4000 miles on them, the last 500 of which were fully loaded touring, and the rear has just begun to show a few threads. I haven't ridden enough tires on the same bike to make objective assessments of tire handling (though I personally believe complaints in this field are likely to result from under or over inflation). However I can say that I have ridden these tires fast in wet conditions and certainly never experienced any problems.

[Aug 03, 2005]
    Keating857

OVERALL
    Strength:

They are tough as nails, wear like iron, ride fine, look great (in red, not in that spawn of Satan yellow) and are competitively priced.

With the red stripe version no longer available I'll have to mellow and go with yellow.

I am a full sized American and weigh in at 225 lbs and I hate flats, so the proper selection of bike tires is of critical importance to me. I am currently running Michelin Axial Carbon 700/23's with the red stripe, (not the ugly yellow stripe) and couldn't be happier. (A pox on those ugly yellow stripes.) These puppies are great! I run 115 psi in the front and 120 psi in the rear. (Caution: YOU should never exceed recommended inflation pressures!) I have ridden over a thousand miles over New England pot holes and broken glass and (untold hours on the trainer) yet the tires show no appreciable wear. Indeed, it has been over a thousand miles since my last flat (at one hundred miles in the front tire.) The Michelin Axial Carbon's handle great and ride just fine.

Specialized Mondo Pro, Michelin Super Comp HD, Specialized Turbo

[Feb 01, 2005]
    bikenraider99

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durability, foldable, Price

Max PSI is lower than what I would like to have

This is the second Michelin tire I've used. It has been very impressive for me. I'm going on 4000 miles on this set and it's just now starting to show signs of wear. I use this tire for training, recreational rides, commuting, lite touring, and ultra-cycling rides.

Continental 2000, Continental 1000, Hutchinson Reflex

[Dec 03, 2004]
    shrap

OVERALL
    Strength:

Durable Wear Well Available

Dull Road Feeling Ugly (Yellow shoulders and black sidewalls)

These tires are decent for the price I pay (discounted). They are less prone to flats and cuts than the Continental 2000s and tend to last longer. They don't feel particularly good on the road, possibly due to the more rigid sidewalls.

Continental Ultra 2000 Continental SuperSport Ultra Michelin Axial Pro

[Nov 07, 2004]
    sporte77

OVERALL
    Strength:

Rarely gets flats. Wears great. Rides real nice.

Wish it held more than 115 psi. But it's not a race tire - so it's no big deal.

Best all around road tire I've owned. Decent weight, rarely flats, sticks good. I used to get flats a lot with several different tires due to glass. This pair has flatted once in a year.

Vittoria Zaffiro (sucks - eats glass & flats alot!) Vittoria Pro Team Tecno Twin (great tire) Specialized All Conditions Armadillo (great tire - but HEAVY). Michelin Pro Race - also awesome tire.