Michelin Speedium Tires - Clincher

The Speedium 2 makes Michelin technology more affordable. With excellent grip and maximum comfort, Speedium defines economical performance. Reinforced casing helps prevent punctures. Shoulder siping improves handling in wet weather. 33 tpi. Weight 288

[Sep 03, 2019]
damidb

OVERALL
Strength:

terrible terrible: can't put the last bit of the tire on the rim just can't: the very first one and i did probably 100 + tires in my bicycle "career". There's to much tension, I tried by pumping up the inner tire unbtil it exploded.... It's just ridiculous and unacceptable from Michelin. A bad production lot ? to much production tolerance ?

useless: cannot mount it

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2018
[Nov 25, 2012]
Tom

OVERALL
Strength:

Easy to get onto the rim, for a folding tyre.

Haven't found any yet

These tyres have been on my rims for 18 months and have done around 3,500km. I've got the black/grey version. I ride a single speed bike to commute to work with a few hills. Have also entered a few chairty events with these tyres. I have not had a single puncture on my commutes. Grip seems fine and corners fine too. Ridden on glass, dirt roads & in the wet, jumped a few kerbs etc. Perhaps I was just lucky as most other reviews are negative. I'll keep using them till they die.

[Aug 18, 2011]
Nick Harrison

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap
Folding
Durable

Plain looks
Heavy

Bought these as a cheap, folding and durable tire - I have definitely had my money's worth! They held up well for over a year of commuting/training on some really harsh road surfaces and during some nasty weather. The only flats I got (4) were experienced during wet weather, bits of glass and 1 inch pieces of wire etc. I could not imagine any tire doing much better for the price but I had to hold my breath in the wet. Grip was OK but not remarkable, they got cut up pretty badly towards the end.

Vittoria Rubino Slick
Schwalbe Blizzard
Vittoria Rubino Zaffiro
Bontrager Select
Maxxis Detonator

[Feb 21, 2011]
Ben White

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap as chips - £6 each!

Very weak tyre that is prone to punctures.

5 punctures within 600 miles - says it all really. Terrible tyres. Cheap tyres are a false economy (you've got to make this mistake once to appreciate why good tyres cost a lot). The grip is lacking in anything but dry conditions and they don't inspire any confidence. Handling is 'wooley' at best.

Never used a tyre this cheap before.

[Jul 15, 2009]
mayersj

OVERALL
Strength:

The price mostly. Cheap. A lot of value in this one. Very smooth rolling.

Not light enough to be a race day tire.

I've ridden lots of different road bike tires over the past several decades and keep coming back to the Speedium. No, it not a race day tire. As far as bang for you buck goes it's realativly speedy, puncture resistant and durable. I just can't seem to beat it for recretional/trainging rides.

Vittoria, other Michelin's ad nauseaum.

[Apr 30, 2009]
dewdane13

OVERALL
Strength:

Flat resistant, great wear

Not exciting in turns and slippery when wet

Bought these to replace Hutchinson Fusion 2 tires, which wore out way too fast. The Speediums were great training tires.

Just bought Michelin Pro Race 3 on friend's suggestion. Too soon to tell.

[Apr 29, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

The yellow matched my bike

Magnets for nails, glass, and thorns.

My friend gave these to me because the bead kept popping out of his rims. Soon after I started riding with these tires, I started picking up nails. Its like the tires were magnetic. I had to throw the back tire out after only a few months and several nails, shards of glass, etc. The front tire lasted almost a year, but I wouldn't recommend these to anyone

Vittoria Rubino Intrepid

[Apr 24, 2009]
JerryNearSTL

OVERALL
Strength:

Economical. Ride well on dry pavement. Didn't get to ride them in the wet much.

Heavy. Rather large for the 700x25 size.

The Michelin Speedium 2, 700x25 Folding tires came with my new Giant Defy Advanced 3 bike. The first thing that I noticed was that the tire tread was rubbing against the bottom of the front brake near the pivot points. Part of the problem could be the rather thick Tektro R530 brakes.

However I compared the Speediums against a pair of Specialized Gatorskins (non-folding) and the Speediums are FAT. Much wider and taller at the same 700x25 size. Also they weight the same as the Gatorskins which are belted and have a wire bead.

Therefore I swapped the tires out between the bikes last night, but haven't had a chance to ride the bike with the Gatorskins yet. The Gatorskins have much more clearance and I know from years of riding on them are puncture resistant.

Continental Gatorskins non-folding and folding.

[Mar 17, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, no flats (for me)

Royal pain to mount

I am tired of people bad mouthing these tires. I ride these tires along pot hole and glass riddled roads in the farm land of Ohio. I have run over so much debris that other people have complained about causing punctures without a flat. I have even taken them out on gravel packed trails and not gotten a flat. The rolling resistance is not stellar, but $18 for a folding tire you cannot ask for a race ready tire. I have beaten these tires and they have taken care of me. I just hope i never do flat because these are some of the most frustrating tires to get on a rim.

Conti Ultrasport, Bontrager Select

[Mar 06, 2009]
Stephen

Appearance

Everything

Bought these as training tyres for my cross bike. Put them on and tried them out on the rollers. After about 45mins the front tyre blew off the rim. Packing them back up and sending them back. Total Junk. DO no buy no matter how attractive the price is.