Michelin Star Grip Tires - Clincher

The Michelin 700x40c Star Grip hybrid Tire utilizes a patented star-shaped tread to grip on to the most slippery of surfaces! Whether you are on road or off-road, this tire allows you to ride no matter the weather conditions. Weighing in at 750 grams, thi

[Mar 06, 2020]
bbender785

OVERALL
Strength:

Have 600 miles on these now in every imaginable condition; I've commuted through the winter on these this year here in Michigan. First off, they are TALL.. I haven't measured but these 35's are definitely taller than the 38 studded tires i also own. So beware if you have limited clearance. This is no surprise; the tread is mega-deep on these things. As you can imagine, there is weight associated with all that tread, and it's certainly noticeable coming straight from 35 semi-slicks. All that said, I feel they roll pretty well. They're silent. Generally not squirmy even at the low end of the PSI range under a 45lb loaded bike and 200lb man commuting; if I take a corner aggressively while loaded down the rear can start to feel a little noodley. The sidewalls must be pretty robust; I've been surprised how stiff they "feel" (the 'ole two-finger pinch test) at low PSI. I've settled on running them on the lower end of the inflation range, even in dry conditions, for the added comfort; I don't think it slows them down too much. Traction is good on wet surfaces, decent in fresh snow (I've ridden them in up to 6" so far, was surprised how well they propelled and tracked in untouched powder), but beware in rutted/freeze cycled snow and ice; there's hardly any lug spacing on the shoulders, so they won't claw their way out of ruts. They aren't magic on black ice, but I'm convinced they've kept me upright in multiple situations that a semi-slick or mtb tread wouldn't have. So all that said, then factor in the price point on these, they get my endorsement without any doubt.

No weaknesses if you have realistic expectations for it as a commuter tire, NOT a performance tire.

Price Paid:
2018
[Dec 07, 2018]
barbej

OVERALL
Strength:

It grips better than a normal commuting tyre in snow and ice. Unlike studded tyres it can be used when it is not ice or snow. However my colleague came off his bike and broke his arm last week and I did not.

However rolling resistance is high. The shape of the tyre is with a flatish top so can catch on mudguards. The rubber is quite soft so it does give a vague feeling in bends which is a bit off putting. The grip also picks up stones and seeds. I am not sure how long the rubber will last. However my colleague came off his bike and broke his arm last week and I did not.

Price Paid: