Panaracer Closer Plus Tires - Clincher

Closer offers a ZSG Natural Compound for long lasting wear and a comfortable ride. Closer is the best balance between a high end racing tire and a training tire offering superb durability, comfort, and confidence. Closer Plus adds a bead to bead breaker to improve treat and sidewall protection.

[Jan 28, 2020]
rikibiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Grippy tire, suppleness yet strong compound of the thread makes up for a long service on road. Although mine is 25c, it measures 26mm wide, which translates to a more comfortable ride than the Catalyst Sport, which measures 24mm despite being a 25c.

Because of its smooth thread and somewhat triangular profile, cornering is a little harder to control at first, you have to adjust your leaning angle, but you'll get used to it.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Dec 27, 2019]
rap1962

OVERALL
Strength:

The Panaracer Closer Plus is a very grippy tire that is suitable for both training and racing. Its dual durometer natural rubber compound make it a durable, high mileage tire that provides excellent traction in both wet or dry conditions. The tire is light and has reasonably low rolling resistance with excellent road feel and comfort. Competes very well with tires costing twice as much.

Like most tires with puncture protection, the puncture protection is not very effective, though it does offer a slight benefit to tires without. These tires, being natural rubber are somewhat more prone to cuts from broken glass than many other tires. The cuts are not such that they compromise the integrity of the tire but they are noticeable and leave a pock marked appearance after several hundred miles. It may be that this is due not so much to a higher volume of cuts but that the cut remains open, rather than close back up once the glass or flint is removed.

Purchased:
New
[Jul 06, 2016]
Chodok

OVERALL
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, very supply and good puncture protection.

Not sharp cornering, (much) longer breaking distance

They are quick, durable and fast as well as good puncture protection. You can use them as training tires without anything to worry about that much even ridding on bad road - especially their price.

For the down side, the most weakness of them is grip. Their grip is not so great when you need to quick stopping power as well as when you are cornering - you will feel moving outward from your line.

So, it you mostly ride alone in less traffic. Or you need to ride long distance - endurance. They are really good tires for you.

[Sep 29, 2015]
Mark Edel

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, seem to have low rolling resistance

Poor traction on crushed limestone

These seemed to offer a similar combination of characteristics to the Forte Pro (discontinued house brand tire from Performance Bike made by Panaracer) that I liked. As a commuter, I'm not cornering like a racer, and can't ever remember having traction problems with tires. The Closers are just fine on pavement, but on crushed limestone, there is something weirdly wrong with them; they just don't feel secure. I have no idea what causes this (pointy-rounded profile?). I removed them after about 500 miles, since most of my commute is on crushed limestone. Otherwise, they seem like nice tires. I had no flats, and they seemed to be wearing well.

[Aug 22, 2014]
Jojo

OVERALL
Strength:

The tires are grippy, light and easy to install.

I wish the Panaracer Closer Plus will come up of "whole" thread colors instead of the leaving the center black. This is why its 4 stars for me.

The Panaracer Closer Plus is great value clincher tire. Good value for money. When you install the tire for the first time, you will feel the grippy texture of the tire. First impression is that it will decrease the rolling. But once you break in the tire after around 20 miles you feel the comfort and traction of the tire. It gave me much confidence compared from my previous tire. So far no flats after 100 miles. Unlike the previous one, never in my life that I experienced 4 flats in one ride less than 30 miles.

I am happy with the Panaracer. I just wish that they will have the full thread will solid colors like "blue" instead of leaving the middle black.

[May 17, 2014]
Dean Glover

OVERALL
Strength:

Affordable , comfortable ride, durable, fast

plain jane looking tire

I have been riding with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX's ,which were fast but the sidewalls were not holding up.The TPI for those are around 130. These Panaracer Closer Plus are TPI 66,which seem to be a whole lot more durable. I was concerned that they would slow me down, going from the Ultremo's. I'm pleased to say that my average speed has not been compromised at all! They are the most comfortable road tires I've ridden(feel like I'm riding on 32cc tires instead of 25cc). I have approx. 600 miles on them so far and have no issues as of yet. The sidewall on the ultremos were failing me every 200-300 miles or so. The closer plus tires look like they are built to last a lot of miles. I can't see me using any other tire from now on. I'm really happy with them. The only complaint about them is that they are plain looking. A little more graphics on the side wall be better. That's the only reason I didn't give these tires 5 stars.