Panaracer Race Type A Tires - Clincher

Racing Tire An all condition all-purpose tire. As a racing tire its excellent strength-to-weight ratio and ZSG Dual Compound make this the perfect multi-use tire. Exclusive PT Shield extends bead-to-bead for the ultimate in pun...

[Mar 18, 2018]
ZMC888

OVERALL
Strength:

This is for the Race A Evo 3 Tubeless version. Grippy and fast. Go on tight, but not too bad.

Expensive. Undersized barely 24mm. Profile is very low. Slight bulge in front tire on sidewall at only 500km. Prefer the type D with a tube. Won't buy again, but not bad.

Price Paid:
2018
[Feb 28, 2015]
Sierrarider

OVERALL
Strength:

Long lasting, come in red siewalls

None so far

Have to admit, I bought these for 1 reason.
Come in red sidewalls to match my frame scheme. They are the only folding 25 tire to come in red.
Now that I have them, I like them. Very durable, great handling. Have bought 3 already, 2 on bike now and a spare.

[Mar 16, 2012]
Joachim

OVERALL
Strength:

Road feel, particularly cornering/descending at speed.
Robust construction at a reasonable weight.
Made in Japan.

Nothing to note so far.

This review is for the 25c version of the Panaracer Type A. I am a 130lb rider and wanted to try a sturdy 25c tire for rougher back roads and a pair of these came up at a good price so I gave them a go.

Construction appears very robust, both the tread and the rubber at the sidewalls. Sample 1 weighed 226g and Sample 2 weighed 245g against a claimed weight of 240g. Measured true to size at 24.8-25.0mm when mounted on a 19mm wide rim. No issues mounting or de-mounting - neither too tight or too loose on the rim.

Rolls well in a straight line and cornering grip is surprisingly good. Very predictable, communicative, and responds well to subtle inputs. Since all I've ridden before this were 23c's, I'm not sure how my perceived improvement in ride quality is due to the tire or the 25c size. That being said I like the road feel under these tires. I plan on buying a 2nd pair soon.

Various Hutchinson tires: Fusion 3's and Atom Comps.

[Oct 08, 2011]
jrlombard

OVERALL
Strength:

Cost-effective. I've heard that they're reasonably long-wearing.

Not super light, no tread for wet weather riding. Probably won't be able to run them through the winter. The bead fits so tight that I can't swap them to my wife's bike in a pinch, she'd be hosed if she got a flat mid-ride. She'd never be able to get the tire off of the rim.

First, let me start by saying that these are some of the tightest fitting road tires I've ever mounted (and I'm a former pro wrench—I've mounted TONS of tires).

They do, however, have pretty decent road feel. Certainly better than the Maxxis Re-Fuse tires that they replaced. It's still early days still, but no flats yet. Despite the "Race" labeling, I'd probably stick with a nice set of Michelins or Continentals if you're looking for a nice racing clincher. The Race A's are decent but don't share the ride quality of those tires (but they're a lot cheaper for training)

Maxxis Re-Fuse, Specialized Armadillo Elite,

[Jun 25, 2011]
shapeofthings

OVERALL
Strength:

good value, puncture resistance/durability, good road feel, decent traction (not sure how well they would do in wet conditions since there is no tread)

they'll start to square out after a while, but not many complaints after that.

I bought the type A tires almost a year ago to try them out and have been a big fan ever since.
Fairly supple, decent road feel and have been very good to me in terms of puncture resistance. I ride the Angeles National Forest often, there are many sharp rocks and also ride the glass strewn streets of East Los Angeles and they have held up well.

various models from Vittoria and Continental.

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.