Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless Tires - Clincher

Best Price At
Available At
Available At

Tubeless tires offer clear advantages in speed, comfort, grip and puncture resistance. And this applies not only off road, but just as well on the road. There is no friction between the tire and tube, and that reduces rolling resistance. That means tubeless tire set-ups can be ridden at lower air pressure without sacrificing performance.

[Mar 18, 2018]
ZMC888

OVERALL
Strength:

Grippy and very fast. Go on easily.

Made from chewing gum - constant punctures - white fountains. Won't seal well.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2017
[Oct 23, 2017]
leathernek

Strength:

Just please don't buy these tires.

First of all, I understand that flats are a part of life and what you may get on one tire on what you get on another doesn't necessarily mean that one is more flat resistant than the other. With that said, these are worst tires I have owned when it comes to puncture resistance.

I had 3 flats with less than 300 miles on these. Not just simple pinholes, but gashes and I ride on well-paved roadway. What irritated me is that, as has already been mentioned, these tires do not take a patch very well. I tried different glues, but the patches would simply not take causing the patches to eventually give way. So in essence, I was replacing several patches at one time. After my last patch attempt, I noticed that the tires were splitting down the middle seam! Mind you, I never came close to over inflating these.

What really pissed me off was complaining to Schwalbe via their website email contact. I emailed them numerous times over several weeks on different computers using THEIR website contact form and I never received a response. In a nutshell, good luck trying to make a warranty claim or getting any kind of response.

[Oct 16, 2017]
Lewis

OVERALL
Strength:

When new soft and supple a bit like a Continental GP4000S2.
Go on and inflate easily on most tubeless rims.
Roll fast.

Fragile, hate sealing, punctures far too easily.
Think of it like a TT tire.

Many tire manufacturers are seemingly in some rolling resistance arms race to make a fast rolling tire, but what the point if you flush all puncture protection down the toilet? This tire has done more to damage the reputation of road tubeless than any other.

I tried two sealants in this tire, cleaning it out once and then trying again, first Stan's, then Joe's. I've been told Orange sealant is best for road tubeless, but we can't get it outside of North America easily. I had 3 punctures in 400km. None of them ever sealed properly and the sealant sealed better on the outside and made sort of a chewing-gum blister on the outside of the tire which would bleed a trickle of sealant and air constantly. The pressure would drop to 20-60psi depending on how it felt. Some said this was because the Pro Ones don't have an interior butyl layer.

I had far less punctures, slightly better handling, similar rolling resistance and far better puncture protection from a Continental GP4000S2, so why bother with the hassle of a tubeless tire if you can't avoid a simple puncture?

Schwalbe mostly seem to want to make a puncture proof tire or an uber fast rolling tire. The reasonably quick and fairly well protected middle ground seems to befuddle them. They do on occasion make very good tires, like the Big Apple, G-One and Magic Mary, but some of their tires are just made from cheese.

Avoid this tire if you are looking for anything even similar to an all-season tire. If you run Continental GP4000S2 and hardly ever get punctures and can get Orange sealant it might be fun to try them as a summer race tire.

Loads of MTB tires and many of them tubeless, Conti GP4000S2, Conti 4 season, Schwalbe Durano plus many others.

[Jan 18, 2017]
G. MacDonald

OVERALL
Strength:

In order of descending importance to me: Good tear and puncture resistance when properly inflated. Fast sealing ability for small case punctures. Excellent ride quality -- can ride for days on the rough stuff with these tires. Low rolling resistance. Confident turning. Light weight. Folding bead. Good performance on dirt and loose gravel.

Tread wears faster than a training tire, but this is expected, at it is a light weight racing tire, and is a consequence of one of the outstanding strengths of the tire. Not cheap, but (again!) this is a racing tire -- racing tires are expensive (4 stars for value). Really, neither of these are weaknesses, as this is a racing tire.

Now for an actual weakness: I wish Schwalbe would come out with a heavier training version of this tire. Same case, thicker tread. Schwalbe! You hear me? If you come out with a tire like this, I'll buy 5 pairs of them!

I'm 6'1", 170 lbs, and ride the very rough roads of the goathead thorn-infested southwestern US. My ride is a 2011 Trek Madone 3.1 TCT carbon road bike with my custom Stan's Alpha 340 Shimano Ultegra 6800 hub wheel build and Pro One 700x25c tires. I run the tires at 84 psi rear, 82 psi front.

To begin, I'm very surprised at the low ratings this tire has received here. I think these tires are excellent as a road tubeless racing tire. Here are my reasons:

1) I've been running these tires for close to 1000 miles now and have had no punctures, rips, or tears due to road debris. This includes thorns, glass, and rocks. To contrast, when running a standard clincher I got a flat every week due to glass or rocks cutting my tread or casing, or goathead thorns puncturing my tubes.
2) After 1000 miles, almost all of the tread is still there. The tread wears -- yes, but not as fast as most here are saying.
3) I'm faster than all of my friends on the downhill. They pedal downhill while I coast past them a few mph faster. If I start pedalling, I leave them in the dust. The rolling resistance on this tire is so very low.
4) Coupled with my wheel build, climbs feel like I'm jogging up a hill. If I hit a small rock on the climb, my rear tire does not jump, but absorbs the impact instead and maintains traction.
5) The tire is so supple and flex-y, an old rough paved road feels ice smooth. I'm faster than all of my friend on surfaces such as this. A freshly-paved road feels like you're riding in outer space.
6) Lean your weight on the front tire in a sharp turn and it'll feel like you're on rails. This tire is outstanding on the corners. I'll bet they would give some riders a real advantage in a crit race.
7) I've ridden these tires on a few smooth dirt trails and I *almost* feel like I'm riding a cyclocross bike. In the turns and climbs too!
8) Half-wheeling on level grades is difficult now. I'm quite literally pulled by the rider ahead of me and must coast with the brakes on.

One thing to not overlook when riding this tire is inflation pressure. Road riders are accustomed to riding astronomically high tire pressures. When they inflate their tubeless tires to standard clincher tire pressures, two things happen. 1) The benefit of low rolling resistance with this tire is lost at high pressure. This tire actually rolls faster when you *lower* the pressure. Inflate to 90 psi, take a ride, drp the pressure -2 psi and continue iterating until you find that the tire is fast rolling and a smooth riding. 2) High pressures with make the tread and casing inflexible, and the tire will not deform when impacting road debris such as rocks or glass. This increases the likelihood of a casing or tread breach. The latter is a problem I have always had with standard clinchers here in the southwest. I have not had a single casing or tread breach since switching to the Pro Ones.

Summary: I will never put standard clinchers on my road bike ever again. These are some really amazing tires and they have had a tremendous impact on how my bike handles in the rough stuff, turns, climbs, and descents. They are sensitive to inflation pressure. Depending on your weight, tire section width, and rim choice, if you're riding these above 90 psi, you ought to let some air out of them. These tires like low pressure. I suspect many of the problems experienced by previous reviewers were caused by excessive inflation pressure.

I like these tires so much that I got a set for my wife last Christmas. She loves them just as much as I do!

Bontrager Race Lite, 700x23c.

[Oct 22, 2016]
smokva

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight

Puncture resistance

First of all I ride One Tubeless (non Pro) and am very hapy with them and think they are best tires I ever had. Last seasson I had 6000 km on the rear and 7500 on the front. I'm 188cm and 105 kg, so I'm not easy on tires....for me this is in line with endurance racing tires. During that timeI had only one puncture that sealant kind of sealed. I had 5 mm of glass in tire and sealant sealed arround glass enough to get back home, some 20 km away, before I finally lost air.
Anyway, I recommended them to my friend, but One Pro has just came out with 100g les so it looked like bargain.
But guess what, One Pro is rubbish.
Friend destroyed first rear tire after less than 1500 km due to cut too big to seal and too big to patch with tubeless patch. He used tire boot and tube for some time, but after few rides material arround hole was gone and threads would show. He thought it was just bad luck and mounted another new One Pro on the rear only to have flat that wouldn't seal and was too big for tubeless patch again. So, tire boot and tube again. After few rides he had an emergency breaking and flat spoted tire so that cotton was visibe. another tire gone to rubbish.
Front tire has now 4000 km, but also had one flat that sealant wouldn't seal. Now he rides it with tube because he has had enough of tubeless sealant on his bike.

For me, after seeing all his troubles with One Pro, I ordered old One tubeless again. Have 2000 km on front and back without any problems.

So, my conclusion...Pro One is rubbish and schwalbe has discontinued One tubeless that was great product. They should have left old One and renme it to One Endurance or something like that. I plan to restock with One tubeless for next two years, but don't know what to do after that...I didn't find good replacement. Pro One for sure isn't that.

[Aug 31, 2016]
Craig

OVERALL
Strength:

The tires mount fairly easily
Smooth ride
No flats in over 2000 miles
Low rolling resistance at lower pressures

The back tire was down to threads in 1500 miles

I installed the tires this spring and was very pleased with the mounting experience. They are comfortable to ride and work well at lower pressures. I have had one puncture in over 2000 miles and it sealed nicely. The only drawback that I have experienced so far is that they wear pretty quickly. I was down to threads in 1500 miles on the back. The front still looks great at 2200 miles.

[Aug 30, 2016]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, easy to mount for a tubeless, fast

Weak sidewall which leads to catastrophic failure

If been riding tubeless road tires for 4 years. I started with 23mm Maxxis Padrones which are very nice but expensive. Then I used Hutchison which were hard to mount and thinner than the 23mm size so not as comfortable. Next was Bontrager which was hard to mount and didn't feel as smooth riding as the others. Then I tried the 25mm Schwalbe One, their original race tubeless. It mounted easy, rolled free and comfortable and almost had the cornering grip of the Padrone. So I was really excited when Schwalbe came out with the Pro One. I bought a pair of 25mm Pro Ones. They mounted easy, rode great, cornered great and then BOOM! The rear sidewall blew out like I hit a sharp rock but it didn't feel like I ran over anything and after walking back to where it failed, I found nothing at all that could have caused it. I figured I must have missed the foreign object so I bought another 25mm Pro One and had a similar but less dramatic sidewalk failure first time out. So I'm done with Pro One unless they announce a major redesign. I'm a 180 lb relatively fast rider.

Maxxis, Hutchison, Bontrager

[Aug 08, 2016]
Bergie

OVERALL
Strength:

Rides smooth, corners well and mounts easily.

Weak sidewall!

Bit of background: I have been cycling for 35 years, ridden countless centuries, mountain challenges, Death Rides, multiple trips to France to ride the Alps & Pyenees, owned a dozen road bikes and riding at least 4,000 miles a year on nothing but clinchers of every manufacturer imaginable! Being owners of Fulcrum 2-Way wheelsets, I thought it time to check into the new road tubeless hype. A couple riders in the group swear by them. Ok, maybe worth checking out. I did use Hutchinsons for a while. I read all sorts of tests and reviews, seemed to fall into the hype of this new Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tire, I ordered two as did a riding buddy. Indeed, for tubeless they mounted easily, seated quickly (took out of packaging and laid it out in sun for 20 minutes to warm up which makes installation much easier) with floor pump to 95 psi and looked forward to riding them. I have used Hutchinson Atom tubeless which handle turns well but wear quickly and seem prone to tread cuts, also their Fusion 3 model, which seemed to ride and handle well, but myself and others in our cycling group had encountered the casings seemingly come apart internally which caused the tires to begin to bulge. Swapping to the Schwalbe tubeless, initial rides showed they did ride smoothly and corner well. However.....after a few rides and 150 miles, I found out what the other reviewer mentioned....the sidewalls are suspect!! Coming down a local hill (that I descend twice a week for 35 years) at almost 45mph the front tire suddenly exploded!! It went BOOM and in an instant the front was completely flat and no amount of sealer could close what turns out to be over 1/2" hole in the sidewall. Needless to say, the resulting road rash from the front wheel washing out was bad, but thankfully no vehicles were coming the opposite way at the time! In 35 years I have never had any tire come close to the destruction found on this Schwalbe Pro One!! What makes it conclusive, is my buddy who bought a set when I did and had less than 150 miles on his set, was riding with me last week and ran over a well worn 1/4 " steel plate at 2 mph and immediately flatted. Looking at the tire, it seems his sidewall had ripped open allowing all sealer to flow out and go flat. Now I am over 200 lbs, but he is only 135! So, after these two instances in totally different circumstances, I can no longer feel confident riding these tires. Both of us will be buying another brand ASAP! If you own and ride them, or are looking to possibly purchase them...be forewarned of our serious weak sidewall issues we encountered.

Clincher tires from, Michelin, Continental, Vittoria, and many others. Also tubeless from Hutchinson.

[Jul 18, 2016]
ejpla

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride, easy mount and sealing.

Possibly weak sidewall. EXTREME difficulty demounting from Reynolds Assault SLG rims.

Bought a pair of 25's to mount on Reynolds Assault SLG rims. Mounting was easy, Getting bead to seat and seal was easy. Inflated to 100 rear and 95 front then rode. Nice ride, smooth, good handling (Pinarello Dogma F8). Around 200 miles of riding on the set of tires hit a rock (about 1"x1 1/2") putting a small hole in the side wall that sealed.

Time to patch or so I thought. Deflated the tire, tried breaking the bead from the seat using hands like normal. No luck. Tried 3 different tires tools to get between the bead and seat. Again, no luck. Metal tool on the carbon rims.....no way so resorted to destroying the tire to get it off the Reynolds rim.

Schwalbe One tubeless 700x23
Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless 700x23
Hutchinson Intensive tubeless 700x25 (rock destroyed 2 rear tires with less than 350 miles each)

• Available At
$69.99
$85.6

© Copyright 2018 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.