Specialized Turbo Armadillo Tire Tires - Clincher

The most flatproof performance road tire on the market. This year featuring the improved Armadillo technology for even better flat resistance.

[Sep 03, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

Good flat resistance (6 rear flats and 1 front flat in 4600 miles of roads with lots of glass. On my last tires, I had 8 flats in my last 11 rides!!!

Purchased:
Used
[Dec 03, 2004]
Dennis the Mennis

OVERALL
Strength:

Awesome flat resistance, tough sidewalls, very comfortable, easy to mount on rims.

Quite heavy at over 400 grams; almost a full pound each!

I bought these after my ultra-light Turbos flatted 4 times in 200 miles. I first bought a pair of Armadillos in the 700x25 size (worn, they weigh about 14.75 oz, or 418g; officially they're 436g), and I got only 5 flats in the 2,000 miles I rode them. That's 8 times as far between flats... awesome! I commute 33 miles a day on these too, so they're exposed to lots of debris. 4 have been from tiny, sharp steel fragments, 1 from glass. And they are much more comfortable too. They still have some tread left, but I wanted to save weight with the 700x23 size for some mountainous centuries I rode. It didn't save me much (officially the 23s weigh 378g, but mine were over 400g, IIRC), but the 23s are just fine otherwise, and I've had NO flats in the approximately 1,000 miles I've put on them. The 23s are about as smooth riding as the 25s, so I wouldn't bother with 25s in the future. While I love not having to fix flats on my way in to work, I may venture into the much lighter All-Condition S-Works, Sport or Pro tires when these are worn out, at least for those mountainous centuries. Some of them weigh half what these weigh, and with 10,000 feet of climbing over 100 miles, that is a significant advantage. NOTE: My Armadillos don't say "Turbo" anywhere on them, so this may be a slightly different model.

Specialized Turbo.

[Mar 04, 2004]

Heavy.

This is an update of my prior review since I have now accummulated 4600 miles on these tires. I have gotten flats, but these are so much better than anything else I've tried on my messy roads, especially since I tend to want to stay to the side of the road, out of traffic. I would like to make a suggestion for other posters. Many people will gripe about a tire because they get a flat almost immediately after buying it. But no tire is immune to punctures and, that being the case, you might just happen to get one right away. My first flat was at 147 miles. Is that terrible? But my second flat was after another 1700 miles!

Continental Four Season

[Aug 05, 2003]
DaBigKahuna

OVERALL
Strength:

Flat resistance. Pretty good price - much cheaper than the Conti's I used and seem to prevent flats better. Sidewalls are stiff, but I found them easier to deal with then the Conti's when they were new.

Heavy, but not sure how much it affects speed.

I deal with a lot of glass on some of the roads I take. Of the many flats I've had and which I could identify the cause, all but three were from small pieces of glass so that is what I wanted to do something about. I didn't keep careful track of flats when I first bought my Bianchi Volpe (which I had Continental Grand Prix 4-season tires 700x25 on), but I know I got some. But after 2000 miles, I started getting them on almost every trip of 26 miles! The best I did during this period was 275 miles and the worst was about 16 miles. I tried Mr Tuffy's, but had the same trouble I've seen others report where the strip wore a hole in the tube so I finally gave them up and decided to try the Armadillo on the rear wheel where almost all my flats occurred. It was doing real well but at 560 miles, I hit something that sliced it like a scapel, destroying the tire. I consider this to be a fluke that no tire could have survived. In 7000 miles of cycling, I have never had any cut worth mentioning, let alone a slice like that. During this same period, the front tire with the Conti still on it had two flats. I then bought Armadillos for front and back. At 143 miles, I had another rear flat, this time from a big staple. I also consider this to be a fluke as I've only had a staple cause a flat once before. I now have 900 miles on these two tires without further incident (no glass flats at all!). I have carefully examined the tires twice and have found about a dozen pieces of glass embedded in the tread, but not getting through the protective layers even though many must have been there for some time. I'd give it an overall rating of 5, but I'd want more miles of experience to confirm the flats I did get were truly flukes.

Continental Grand Prix 4-Season

[May 28, 2003]
ChileBiker

OVERALL
Strength:

Grip and handeling. Basically flat proof as far as I can tell so far. Great ride. Little rolling resistance.

A little hard to mount as the sidewalls are quite stiff, but I'm not sure that is a real weakness so no marks down for this.

Wow! I've only had these on the road twice so I'll have to come back later and comment on the length of service. I've already got just over 200 miles on the tires and they are great. Where I ride the roads contain multiple hazards including broken glass, various cacti, and various metallic objects that will all cause flats. Got tired of the flats and haven't had even a scar since changing. They ride real smooth and grip in corners taken at 20mph real well.

Regular Specialized Turbos and various others.