Vittoria Open CX TT Tires - Clincher

File tread.

[Aug 20, 2020]
jeffbozo

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent riding tire. Very stable and predictable cornering. Extremely prone to cuts. After about 1000 miles these tires have lots of cuts, slices, punctures. I ride city streets and have managed to avoid lots of flats by using Mr. Tuffy tire liners. Still, I wonder how long these tires will last with all the slices. Maybe 1000 miles is not bad for a road tire.

Purchased:
Used
[Dec 03, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Feel Excellent on the Road

Ludicrously Oversized Expensive (usually)

I got these tires at a blowout sale. They might be returns, so read the following with care. These tires feel great on the road. It's difficult to quantify, but the bike feels noticably "stickier" and turning is more confidence inspiring. However, something is seriously wrong with the diameter of the tires. They only fit onto one rim, that all other tires have a very difficult time mounting (Velocity Deep V). They fit vaguely loosely on this rim. On *all* other rims that I use (Mavic Open Pro, MA2, CXP11), these tires do not fit at all. Mounting the tire and tube, and then pumping up the tube will immediately lead to a blowout. The tires are just too big diameter-wise to mount safely. If I were to buy these tires again (but I wouldn't, they cost too much)I would only buy them from a shop with a good return policy.

Michelin Axial Pro Michelin Axial Carbon Continental Ultra 2000

[Mar 19, 2003]
suedehed

OVERALL
Strength:

Cornering, durability, looks, NEW BLACK SIDEWALL, long-distance comfort

None thus far

This review is for the new Vittoria EVO CX tires..these things are AMAZING!! My old Open Corsas road well, but these tires are far sturdier and have a much better tread. After about 3 months of riding (on Toronto roads!!) I have had nothing but great luck. The guys at the mail order place were excellent, and the price is the best I have found.

Open Corsas, all Michelins, GP3000s

[Dec 08, 2002]
Dick Levy

OVERALL
Strength:

Great handling

Prone to cuts Pricey!

Axial Pros

[Oct 29, 2002]
clifford

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride: cornering, suppleness

price in the US, and wear

I used to ride tubulars all the time (clement criteriums and vittoria CX/CG) and searched for a clincher that yielded the same smooth ride and let me tell you, this is it! At least it comes closer than anything else. I have experienced no problems that I wouldn't have with another brand of tire. I rode in the rain for four hours this past spring and came across a guy with axials who had had two flats in the same amount of time. I had none. Better yet, I pulled out two pieces of embedded glass after the ride that did not penetrate the kevlar belt! I'm rarely the guy who gets flats though-now I just jinxed myself ;-).

vredestein, continental

[Sep 14, 2002]
oldfartlek

OVERALL
Strength:

ride quality- "suppleness" handling in corners rolling resistance

flats, flats, flats- takes all the joy out of the great ride

After riding Conti's for several seasons I tried the Vittoria's. They are without a doubt the best handling and riding clincher out there. HOWEVER, I have gone through 4 tires (thankfully at the price listed above!)in 4000 miles with over 12 flats. Halfway through the season I still stood behind the ride vs. the proneness to flats. After flatting 5 miles out today on the smallest piece of glass, I give up. Back to Conti's. Too bad.

Michelin Axial Pro's, Conti Grand Prix's and GP3000's.

[Sep 04, 2002]
IF Guy

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast cornering tire. Extremely supple.

I personally haven't found any.

I don't understand why people have so many problems with these tire. If you just take two seconds to brush off your tires with two fingers after you ride through debris you should have no problems with cuts or flats. After nearly 2000 miles on the same set of tires I'm just about to retire them and have had only one flat and that's because I picked up a staple (which have probably caused a flat with any other brand too). I raced and trained hard on these tires and the held up great. Very supple. They corner well and as that they are so supple they smooth the road as well.

Michelin Axial pros, Conti GP and GP 3000

[Sep 03, 2002]
Carl

OVERALL
Strength:

Look nice, ride nice.

Too many cuts and flats

I quit using these tires after serious cuts and 2 flats in the first 100 miles. They also showed excessive wear for the mileage.

[Jul 09, 2002]
Andy

OVERALL
Strength:

good ride, easy flat change

grip, wear, tire

I don't have many good things to say about the Vittoria's...they do grip as well as other high end tires (i.e axial pro/conti's) for the first 200 to 300 miles but they fade fast...you have to lean them over a little further than the others to get them to corner as fast...the bad part is that they wear fast, cut easy and the worst part is they let go without any warning....wrecked on a curve that I had been taking with other tires at the same speed in the same conditions....I will never own another pair

Michelin Axial Pro's Continental GP 3000

[Apr 10, 2002]
Ryan

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling smoooooth ride

probably wear quicker than other tires... but it''s a trade off for much better ride

the open cx''s are the best tires I have ridden. They are so much more supple than other high end tires, you notice the difference when the road gets rough. Do you want to corner with confidence? Get the vittoria open CX''s.

michelin axial pro continental GP 3000