Continental Podium Tires - Tubular

Suitable for all road race and time trial applications. Excellent handling in all situations with high-performance. Ultra-fine casing for high puncture protection. Very low weight and rolling resistance. Rated for max inflation pressures of 170 psi. Manufactured in Germany. 700x19mm. 240g.Now available with new Black Chili compound. The new material incorporates rubber compound particles as small as 10nm in diameter (otherwise known as 0.00000001m, or really, really, really tiny), or roughly...

[Jul 05, 2012]
Steve Cohen

OVERALL
Strength:

I cannot tear them apart with my bare hands.

The tread tears right off if your go over any rough pavement, and they puncture very easily. Poor construction compared to the old Conti Podium. Also they are impossible to mount without 3 rounds of foot stretching. I can bench 240 lbs 10x and do multiple sets of 10 pull ups on climbing rocks, so my hands and upper body strength is damn good, but do not attempt to mount these new tubulars without 3x pre-stretch. They also look like crap on a carbon fiber rim as they use white cloth backing. The older Podium used black cloth backing, which looked pretty cool on carbon rims.

I have already blasted through 6 of these in less than 3,000 km of training. A real shame considering the older Conti Podium was a great tough training and racing tubluar, and a single tubular would last between 1,500 and 2,000 km. I would not recommend these.

[Aug 20, 2011]
roye

OVERALL

This is my fave tire, low rolling resistance, very good grip even in rain, no flats so far, holds air forever

vittoria corsa evo cx

[Jun 19, 2011]
Don Duende

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight
Price

Absolutely worthless to me. A complete waste of time and money. It is possible that I purchased the tires from a bad batch but then quality control was a failure. Needless to say, I will not be trying these again

I have had three of these tires and two of them failed to mount properly. The cotton backing tore apart during installation and the third flatted one minute into its second ride. I am not
sure why the third suddenly blew out but where I ride I never have gotten a flat in four years and there was no debris on the road. I weigh 151 lbs or 68 kg.

Continental Sprinter Gatorskin & Giro
Vittoria Corsa Evo
Panaracer Practice

[Nov 13, 2007]
digrus

OVERALL
Strength:

High pressure/low rolling resistance. Good value for money.

Tread breaks up with age

Excellent time trial tyre. Good price for the performance. Wear rate is good, but they do age, with the tread crazing after a year to 18months. A good choice if you are using tubulars, although I used to have 2 sets of nearly identical wheels – Mavic CXP30’s on pair clinchers with Supersonics on and one pair CXP30 sprints with Podiums on. Very, very little to choose between the 2.

[Nov 03, 2006]
vio765

OVERALL
Strength:

great tire. very good durability, high pressure, and tubular. nothing beats a good race tire like tubular. awsome value

got this tire for my zipp 404s and rear disc.

only continental clinchers