Vittoria Rally Tires - Tubular

Best Price At
Available At
Available At

Roll into your next training ride on the Vittoria Rally Classic Tubular Tire and spank the blacktop like it has been seriously naughty.

[Apr 09, 2018]
Maugerville

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap - These did not cost as much as training clinchers

Not very round, Base tape not adhered in places, Non removable valve core, They easily flatted I had to remove them and remount to get straight, DO NOT FOLLOW THE BASE TAPE go by eye on the tread During inspection before installing I noticed the base tape lifting in a couple places, I just glued those sections down I was disappointed to find when I was going to put valve extenders on that the cores were not removable, another trip to the bike store for different extenders. Within 20 miles on my EVERY DAY COMMUTE I suddenly flatted the rear tire on a rough section. I realize a flat can happen any time but I literally have thousands of miles on my bontrager clinchers through this same piece of road. When I opened up the tire when I got home there was a huge tear in the canvas and a chunk of rubber missing from the tread. On this day it was around 2C so the rubber might not have been as supple and that caused the flat. At least it was only $60 down the drain.

Price Paid:
2017
[Jul 10, 2017]
B. M.

OVERALL
Strength:

Price

eccentricity

Preparation:

Don't true the tire visually by the tread or the base tape.

Actually look at how it spins.

Mount them dry and massage them into the rim at 3 bars pressure, and then leave over night them at 8-9 bar.

Thinly apply glue onto the the base tape, then let set for 20 min.

Installation:

Liberally apply mastik one pro glue around the rim.

Leave them at 7 bars for 5-6 hours at 50-75 % humidity and room temperature for 5-6 hours.

[Oct 27, 2014]
paul dolton

OVERALL
Strength:

robust ,good grip cheap

heavy and if not prepared right prone to puncture

i really do laugh at people who buy a tub and expect it to work wonders without 1 stretching it dry on the rim to 100psi for at least a week .2 once glued on repeat pump up to 100 psi then leave for 24 hours before riding ,if you dont stretch your tyre it cannot mould to your rim and so cannot react with the rim to deflect anything sharp ,if you use tub tape then fine ride straight away but only pump to about 80 psi then later on down the road up to full pressure this of course sounds like alot to do and maybe bull ,but ive been riding tubs for 35 years so i know a bit these rally tyres are not the best but for the price they are damn good !

continental giro

[May 17, 2012]
Neil

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap

Not super light

Who are you people who blow out tires like every 100 miles, and get flats like every time you ride? If you don't ride like a dumbass and look where you put your wheels I bet you will get fewer flats. Also if I paid $10 for these and they were billed as training tires I would be pist if they lasted 1000 miles, but they were 25 dollars

Tufo S22
Vittoria Evo CX

[Mar 27, 2012]
Jeffrey Lynn Carlson

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, durability(run them at 7 bar, and they will last longer and ride better)

Sometimes not perfectly round.....

I find some of the reviews quite amusing.....it is been my experience, that many times when someone has a problem with an item, the problem is with the person, not the item. I am a "Vintage" Cyclist, who rides an immaculate 1980 Gios Torino Super Record, about 3500 miles a year. I buy 4 Vittoria Rally Tubulars a year, and they deliver EVERYTHING that a TRAINING tire could, and should deliver for 1/4th the cost of a RACING tubular. You get what you pay for....a decent training tire, that if you do get a flat, you are not out $100.00 !!

[Oct 12, 2009]
clayhorste

OVERALL
Strength:

Non

Unreliable

I have to say that these tires aren't worth the glue to put them on. I only had them on a week when they sprung a mysterious leak that I can't find without ripping out all of the stitching and submerging the tub under water. The air comes out a hole in the casing , but the leak is elsewhere as I opened up the casing, pulled out as much tube and I dared and submerged it under water and watched it deflate, but no bubbles from the submerged section.

Panaracer Practice Dual TG

[Dec 08, 2001]
Hill Boy

OVERALL
Strength:

They hold up fine. They are basically round. They are rubber. They hold air (better than my $80 race tires do, for that matter.) They aren''t clinchers. What do you want here? It''s a training tire. They aren''t terribly light, they aren''t terribly round. In fact, I was a little surprised at the remarkably low rolling resistance, but I guess that might come from riding them at 9bar. For crying out loud, it''s a 6 dollar tire. That''s its strength right there. You can spend $12 on a tube these days.

If I were trying to race on these, I would complain that they bulge in a couple places and that they weigh more than the rims they''re glued to. But I''m not trying to race on them, because that''s what my racing tires are for. Just like I wouldn''t race on rims built in the early 80s. Sheesh. As a training tire, you can''t get a cheaper tubular.

So really, all of the griping below is more than a little out of hand. These are a [i]training[/i] tire, not a race tire. More to the point, they are a winter trainging tire; lower speeds, wet conditions, all around nasty. They don''t have to be light, they don''t have to be terribly round, they just have to be cheap. I had a set of Omega Stradas laced to an aging set of 105 hubs to build up a reasonably heavy, mildly aero wheelset for less than $150 including labor, and I glued these bad boys onto them. The goal wasn''t speed or light weight or screaming descents, it was just something that I can put low intensity miles on without costing myself a fortune.

I''ve tried the Tufo trainers, and for the substantial difference in cost, it ain''t worth it. Veloflex Servizio Corses, Vittoria Corsa CXs, but those are race tires so it''s not really the same thin

[Aug 23, 2001]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive, well made, round, even & true. Tracks, and turns well. Too early to say durable.

The 700 x 23 is relatively heavy at 310, but then so am I at 220.

In spite of all the "Rally" bashing I read here, I bought these as inexpensive training/riding tires to avoid having to buy a new clincher wheelset. Riding the bike after a 15 year absence was like a time warp (no tubulars, and clinchers for $50!!??). LBSs don't carry tubulars so I ordered from Sdeals for $8 plus $6 each S&H.
I am amazed that I can ride these tires at 110 psi more comfortably than the 1.5x26 slicks @ 90 psi on the MTB I was training with. In fact at my current weight of 220, I am amazed I didn't blow out the Rallys what with all the negative comments posted here (though 3 appear to be from the same person and one describing the orange color is not a Rally, they only come in green and black). Riding with my buddy, clincher guy, I was reminded the advantages of tubulars; smooth ride, and low low low rolling resistance.
These are well made, quality tubulars at a great price (from Sdeals). They went on fairly easily even without stretching, and they mounted evenly all around, no bulges or warped tread, & negligible run-out. They are as good or better than the Wolbers and other Kevlar reinforced tubes I used to ride, and paid $30 for back then.
It's too early to comment on durability, but our roads are strewn with broken auto, and bottle glass, and lots of sharp gravel. The MTB slick had a flat (1/4" cut on face of rear tread) in its first 5 miles, while the Rallys are unblemished (knock wood) after 100.
I have to agree with Josef below, that the Rallys are a very good training tires, an excellent value, and the only training tire worth buying.

From 15 years ago: Wolber SP1s, Specialized Turbos, various Kevlar belted tubulars, generic slicks for MTB @ 90psi.

[Aug 13, 2001]
ollie

OVERALL
Strength:

none whatsoever

it's a fu[k!ng piece of garbage!!!

don't waste your money on this crappy pile of $hit! They $u[k BIG TIME!!!!! Bite me, Vittoria!!!!

[Jun 21, 2001]
D Alex

OVERALL
Strength:

it's a cool green colour

it exists!

What a pile of crap!These Vittorias MIGHT make a good tyre for a wheelbarrow, but nothing else!

These are the cheapest tyres vittoria makes, and they never let you forget it. From the moment you take them out of the box, you will notice that they are STIFF! Strecthing them on a spare rim, fully inflated for 2 weeks did little to round them out. Once mounted, they have pronounced high spots, which only partially round after the tyre has been ridden for 100 or so miles, and they never completely set in true and round.

Although they DO have a kevlar belt, and are therefore quite puncture resistant, they are hardly flat-proof. One strategically placed rock (not even sharp) managed to cause a deflation for me on my rear tyre, even though it was inflated to 125 psig. Pulling the casing apart later confirmed that the rock had caused the belt to break, without the rock even hitting through to the rim.

On rough and wet pavement, the traction is basically good, although the ride is less smooth than most would expect from a tubular. At high speeds, the poor roundness of the tyre causes steering vaugeness and squirelly behaviour, making any high-speed hill descent a scary experience.

I would not advise anybody to ever go over 30 mph on these tyres. I'm keeping the remaining 2 for early-season training (when there is always a lot of sharp junk laying around), but will be content to stick with (and even occasionally repair) my Continentals. For the same price, you could go for something like Michelin Libertys, and probably have a more useful tire (and even cheaper, if you plan to use them as throw-aways).

One addendum: Vittoria Rallys are directional, although they don't say so. The tube is of a cheap "seamed" variety, esentially a long tube, cut to length, turned around, stuck into theother end, and glued together. If you mount the tyre correctly (it's supposed to be mounted with the brad on the left side), then the tyre will be much less squirrelly than the other way. One day I accidentally put my front wheel on backwards, and could barely go over 20 mph!

Conti Giro, Nashbar brand (made by TUFO)

• Available At