American Classic 420 Aero 3 wheelsets - clincher

The American Classic 420 Aero 3 wheelset looks as good as it performs and is even more durable for 2010. 34mm alloy clincher rim. 18/24 bladed spokes front/rear. Color: AC Road Wave Black. Weight: 1538 grams/set.

[Nov 07, 2015]
JD

OVERALL
Strength:

Roll, Stiffness, Looks

Braking surface, cross winds

This is by far the best wheelset I have put on my Cervelo. They roll incredibly fast, I usually pull during a certain beginning stretch of my weekly club ride (Coastal Carolina Cyclist's in Charleston SC) and I found myself going 1 1/2 MPH faster than the previous week with the same effort on my DT's. They roll up to speed nicely, extremely stiff and responsive when out of the saddle accelerations occur, and actually keep the speed, if not accelerating, into and coming of of 90 degree turns. These are soooooooooo much better than the Mavic Ksyrium SL's that I swapped out. Much faster, definitely stiffer, and an overall better ride.

Easton EA-70's, Fulcrum Racing 7's, Alex craps, Shimano RS-21's, Mavic Ksyrium SL's

[Jul 15, 2015]
aaa

OVERALL
Strength:

If you are looking for some brand new copy and paste that in google

[Apr 08, 2015]
F.Gauthier

OVERALL
Strength:

got those wheels since 2013 on my opus Amadeus , light and fast and strong enough for every day use , upgrade my average speed with thoses

none so far

best every day use aero wheelset to buy

[Oct 18, 2013]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

-Light weight
-Hubs are fast
-Very durable

none so far

These came on my Jamis Eclipse that I purchased in 2011. I can say that they made a huge difference in the flats and downhill. I find my self keeping up with others (freewheeling) when they are still pedaling. I think the wheels are very durable ( I am 6' and 215lbs.) and they have only needed minor adjustments since the first day over very moderate to rough roads. As a shop owner, I have recommended these to several customers and they have loved them more than any Mavic, Fulcrum or other similarly priced wheelset. Would recommend to anyone looking for a serious upgrade without dropping a lot of cash.

Mavic Cosmic Elite, Fulcrum Racing 3

[Sep 05, 2013]
Lenny

OVERALL
Strength:

Spins really fast, Light weight

Strong cross winds can be an issue

I use these on my Cervelo S3, still great after 3 years

[Dec 12, 2012]
Kane

OVERALL
Strength:

Spins real fast
Biggg bang for the buck
Stiff rear considering hub size
Still true since the day i took it out of the box

Doesn't like cross wind (especially with lighter rider)
braking surface is small and isn't as tacky

This set has been my do-it-all set for almost 2 years now. I trained on it, climbed on it, did crit, went for solo break, time trialed with it till i got a 404 and it never fails me once. It climb real fast for its weight, hold speed real nice and surprisingly stiff when it comes to sprint and hill attacks. The hub is real stiff and spins super smooth.

The only few problems i have with it are, firstly, the braking surface is quite small so you have to be real careful setting up the pads and it doesn't manage cross wind as well as other rounder profile wheels. Secondly the braking surface is real smooth unlike other milled braking surface which makes the wheel a lil harder to slow down but its not that serious if you have a good clean pads. Well to conclude, i still love them every time i go out riding. BTW the decals still look new after 2 years.

[Aug 14, 2011]
bullitt5094

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride, Rolling resistance.

None so far.

Upgraded from the Mavic CXP22s that came on the Roubaix. I can't believe the transformation in the bike. Riding in my weekend pace line I now have to brake when everyone else just stops peddling. The wheels just want to keep rolling. I also have a bad back which is why I went with the Robauix frame. These wheels are only slightly harsher than much heavier the CPX22s triple cross rims. Very impressed with the ride and performance of the 420s.

[Jan 18, 2011]
BL

OVERALL
Strength:

- Good Aero
- Very Light
- Looks good

- Strength
- braking

Ok I paired these up with pro race 3's and was really impressed with the results. Climbing they are neutral, but flats and down hill they are out right amazing. Over a 20 mile mixed course in California I added an average of 2 mph to my average speed. On the flats and down hills they will give about a 4 mph boost over the fulcrums and about 3 mph over the mavics. I am a bigger guy at 5'11''/6'0'' and 175 - 185 lbs (aiming to get to 165 this season) the roads out here suck and even though they are rated for 220 lbs I still hit them out of true quite often. That being said if i just rode on nice roads they would be fine. The other issue I have is that the braking performance is spotty at best. I have very little confindence braking; it seems like they are constantly fading.

Fulcrum Racing 3, Easton EC90, Mavic Kysrium