American Classic Sprint 350 wheelsets - clincher

Sprint 350's are great for climbing and fast rides, everyday or race use. They are built with the new Sprint 350 700c black rims, American Classic micro front and ultralight cassette hubs. RepartoCorse.com offers upgrades on American Classic Ti Skewers and Sapim CXray Spokes

[Sep 22, 2013]
Ali marsh

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value and very light for the price. Also laced with pretty standard spokes so not a nightmare if you cause some damage

Don't look very flashy. Although this could be a strength

Bought these from Start Cycles in Newcastle as an upgrade to a four year old set of Roval E5's on my roubaix. Was looking for a saving in weight and these ticked the box and were a well respected pair of wheels. Impressions of my first ride out today were that they were responsive and stiff in comparison to the Rovals. Faster all round and especially up hill.
Before putting the cassette onto the freehub body I weighed the wheels with conti 4000s, conti lightweight tubes and the quick release skewers fitted and the all up weight for the combo was a very respectable 1940 grams.
With tyres you need to paying £800.00 for some Mavic Sls with mavic tyres and tubes. I was also looking at rolf aspins but went for these due to the use a fairly standard sapim spokes and the likely hood of getting a fix on the road with standard spoke key or a local bike shop.
I'm happy with the £375.00 that I paid and a few others may be too. A small mention for the bike shop. They had the wheels advertised on the net and I live locally so went in. They were out of stock so took some out of a bike until there stock arrived. Good service I'd say.

[Sep 03, 2012]
JP

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, stiff, easy to service.

Freehub body pits, rear axle caps broke

I'm a fan of AC wheels. I had AC hubs on velocity rims before I purchased a set of Sprint 350s in 2006. I only ride these wheels and when I used to race I used them both for training and racing. All the original spokes are intact and I can't remember truing but maybe 2-3 times in the last 6 years. All in all, very durable. When I first purchased them the freehub body froze and it was a warranty issue they were having. They fixed it for free even though I had purchased my wheels on ebay. In the last year I had the rear axle end caps (the things that your dropouts rest on) crack on the non-drive side. The wheel never caused any safety issues and it was an easy, inexpensive fix (new axle). I have never replaced my bearings though they recommend it every few years. My wheels are still smooth, stiff, light. The only big complaint I have is the soft aluminum of the freehub body gets pitted by the cogs. So when you go to remove a cassette it requires a bit of prying to get it unstuck, so there are raised metal chunks all over the freehub body. I think I'd prefer a steel body that was more durable and just a little heavier. When it is time to get a new set of wheels, I will likely go AC again.

[Jun 01, 2010]
Chris

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, high spoke count kepps them true in my opinion. Good race wheel. Stiff and smooth.

Ditto on using the soft brake pads rim wears easy, Al nipples sieze to spokes. Once they need to be trued the nipples crack or rotate the spoke. After a few short miles wobble returns or loose spokes pop-up else where

A good wheel for the money, tough durable and hold up over time

Easton, Cane Creek, Rolf, ETC

[Jul 28, 2009]
brian

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight great climbing wheel. They do have some flex, but it makes them smooth when accelerating and they seem to give it right back to you when

hubs hubs hubs. Everyone curses the hubs.

I've had better luck than most with these wheels, partly because I've babied them for for a while now. The hubs did eventually give out, just like everyone says. Be gentle and they will last you many miles, but be prepared to replace them.

[Jan 30, 2009]
jack rawlins

OVERALL
Strength:

Very very light, cheap, ceramic bearings available (worth the upgrade imo).

Lousy hubs needing constant wrenching. Soft rim metal ruins brake pads. You get what you pay for.

I've ridden these wheels for about 15,000 miles. They're incredibly light (1200 g. weighed today, with rim tape)and an unbelievable buy. They're soft and flexy, the braking is anemic, and the braking surface sheds metal filings which destroy your braking pads, but I think they've never needed truing. But the real problem are the hubs. I know many other riders using these wheels, and they all curse the hubs, which need constant work. I had the bearings replaced twice ("wrong size"), and the LBS tweaked and tightened and replaced this and that, but nothing would keep these hubs from working loose. Not a fixable problem. My LBS talked to the company and they professed amazement--never heard of the problem (hah hah). So you live with it, snug up your hubs every week, or get other wheels. I weigh 145, btw--not a wheel for a big person.

Williams 19. Bontrager X Lite.

[Oct 15, 2008]
pedalruns

OVERALL
Strength:

Great value for weight, radial laced front wheel.

creaks sometimes.. usually just have to re-set in drop outs.

I've been riding these wheels for two years... I've had no problems, they are light and fast... and still true. This set even survived a car impact in which my merlin frame was damaged... A great value or the weight.

Many... Ksyrium's, campy Record hubs w/open pro rims

[Aug 28, 2008]
Brendon

OVERALL
Strength:

Really good climbing wheels

Amazing wheel, they hold speed on the flats, they climb hills really well over all an all out wicked product, light and fast, i dont think anyone should complain if you dont want a light climbing wheel dont buy one, these are super i would recomend these to anyone!

Cant say i have used a wheel that is as equal as of yet

[Aug 12, 2008]
bob-e

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightest clincher I could find at the time. Spokes stayed tight and true for 4 years (still haven't touched them). Best wheel bang for the buck.

will put lbs mechanics out of business, because they never need truing

I bought these when I was racing and 175 pounds. They worked flawlessly for 2 years. Took a 2 year hiatus and now weigh 200. They are still holding up great under my fat arse.

bontrager, mavic, cane creek

[Jul 04, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

light

flex too much, fall apart.

These wheels have been nothing but trouble. They are impossible to keep trued, every other ride they require touching up. I ride only asphault and am not a hammer, I try to ride carefully. Also the bearings will not stay adjusted.

I have numerous wheel sets from mavic, ritchey, campy all better.

[Jun 03, 2008]
bustamove

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, stiff, responsive, ultra-smooth ride.

more expensive than a previous set that was purchased a couple of years ago

Previous wheelset attached to this bike setup had some very heavy hoops with Ultegra hubs. Installed the AmClassic wheels (without the ceramic bearings) and ride was noticeably smoother. All the benefits of a quality wheelset were immediately apparent - stiff responsiveness in the turns, quick acceleration due to a lot less rotational mass, and a smooth ride. The more time I spend on the bike, the more I appreciate this wheelset.

I literally lost 8/10 of a pound moving to the new wheelset. I can only guess how much rotational weight was lost, but I bet it was a lot.

Sprint 350 650c w/skewers, Bontrager tubes, and Michelin ProRace tires:
front = 900 grams, rear = 1390 grams, pair = 2290 grams

Easton Velomax Ascent II, Mavic Kysrium SL, Mavic OpenPro w/Campagnolo Record hubs