Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheelsets - clincher

Campagnolo Neutron Ultra Clincher Wheelset features upgraded rim extrusions and new-generation hubs with a carbon body and aluminium flanges making this a stiff yet lightweight road wheelset. Includes quick-release skewer Rim ...

[Sep 25, 2015]
Nicos

OVERALL
Strength:

Great on ascents and snapping forward for quick accelerations. Excellent durability.

None that I can think of.

I've ridden these wheels since 2008. They have around 17,000 miles on them and are still going strong. I haven't had a single issue. What else can you say?

Campagnolo Vento G3

[Aug 09, 2012]
mike silver

OVERALL
Strength:

as expected until spokes

spokes broke 3 times in first 1000 miles
i weigh 175pounds.
i nspent over $200 with shop and campy respoking /repairing experienced same issue again
sold wheels for peanuts
not happy

bad experience
i replaced with euros which have been bullet proof

euros

[Feb 10, 2012]
Michael

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, quick spin, light, agile, strong.

A bit squirrely if you're not used to them. You point, they go, so pay attention.

Owned these for over a year now and they are the best set of wheels I've ridden. Zero issues with them. The tolerances built in to them are what you'd expect from a $1,000+ set of wheels, and the low profile and attention to detail is excellent. The carbon fiber hubs make them incredibly light, but stiff, too, so you *will* feel the bumps in the road (the way I like it). When I'm hitting 35mph, I don't want to be riding in a Cadillac on two tiny rims. I want to feel the road beneath me. The hubs spin up incredibly fast. Tested them against my Khasim G3's just to see how quickly and fast they spun... after the G3's stopped, the Neutrons kept spinning for another 90 seconds!

As others have said, there was a test of wheelsets in Cycling Weekly back in 2010 where all the wheels were tested on the velodrome, with wattage/distance/speed all measured, and these were the fastest clincher tested (over the Shamals and Fulcrum Zeros!)

[Oct 19, 2011]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Provide a firm ride and good stability when cornering on descents.

I have broken a couple rear spokes already in less than 5000 total miles. This concerns me because the wheels in each case have been true and properly tensioned. With each case, I was just barely pedaling while exiting a corner on flat road under low power. I weigh 175 pounds so this doesn't seem to be the cause either.

The wheels very solid and hold the road very well even on 50+ descents.

I still like the product, but wish my experience more closely echoed the "bulletproof" results others seem to find.

Kyrsiums and Bontrager wheels.

[Feb 15, 2011]
Jimmy James

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, for what it is.
Great climbing wheel, again, for the type of wheel it is.
Good fast wheel on the flats.

Not great for crits or sprints, to noodle-ly under load.
Broken lots of spokes, but I tend to do that on most training wheels.

Campagnolo Neutron ultra clincher wheels are a pretty good all round training wheel.

However, out of the box they have the slowest rolling hubs I've ever encountered. Very smooth, but simply slow, almost as if you were always riding into a head wind. An upgrade to the CULT ceramic bearings changed all that and now they roll as well as any wheel I have ridden.

Lots over the years...

[Nov 07, 2010]
bikerjulio

OVERALL
Strength:

Spin nicely, very quiet, including freehub. Similar in comfort to the Open Pro wheelsets I have.

Before the second ride noticed play in the rear wheel bearing, and adjusted. So, not right from the factory. Installed used Pro Race tires with some effort by hand.

Was looking for a light clincher wheelset for training and a trip to Cuba. I'm about 190# & bought them to go with a new Cannondale Supersix. Only have a few rides so far. They arrived in 6 days from UK to Toronto.

Ksyrium Sl, Home built Open Pro's.

[Apr 08, 2010]
michaeld-c

OVERALL
Strength:

Just great all rounders. Respectably light without being fragile. Low profile hubs, rims and concealed nipples make for a minimal, stealthy look IMHO. Proven fast. Currently very good value too.

None really. They require tyre levers for fitting tyres but it's no big deal.

Had these about 6 months now and have been very impressed. They are a good mix of fast, smooth, stiff, comfortable and reliable.

Most of the weight seems to be in the excellent hubs which appear to offer no resistance. The rim is very light and spins up quickly.

I bought these after reading a wheel shootout in Cycling Weekly where all the wheels were tested on the velodrome and the amount of watts needed to push them a certain distance at a certain speed was measured. These were the fastest clincher tested and surprised everyone. Even the Shamals and Fulcrum Zeros were slower.

I'm over 80kg and now use these for all my riding. They have never given me a moments trouble.

Zondas (good), Eurus (good), Ksyrium SL (average), Bontrager Aeolius (poor), ROL D'Huez (good), Dura Ace 7850 (good).

[Oct 22, 2009]
Keith

OVERALL
Strength:

Well built, strong, no wasted energy, aero spokes, nice bearings. Stiff!

Other than internal nipples and, expensive!

I have used a plethora of wheelsets. There are a lot of them out there, and as said by another reviewer, we're all looking for our own wants and needs.
These have become my main wheels, after put aside my DT Swiss Mon Chasseral (a little too delicate)

Without question these wheels are a great wheelset. Strong, reasonably light, spin up well and quite aero. They ride a lot quicker than you'd think. A great partner to my Fulcrum Racing Light tubulars.

The nipples are under the rim, which is both a blessing and a curse, but they are so well built that I can't imagine having to do too much truing. Nice carbon bodied hubs.

Nice strong wheels with an understated 'bling' factor.

DT Swiss Mon Chasseral, DT Swiss 1450's, Fulcrum Racing Lights (tubs), Mavic Ksyriums, Campagnolo Protons, Mavic Open Pro's

[Jun 03, 2009]
keninshiro

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid, smooth, Italian quality.

Purdy' expensive. Ugly skewer design... wish they made them more low profile instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.

I've used their Neutron 2 years ago (for a short period of time)and have forgotten how GOOD they are!

The new Neutron Ultra is harder than it looks... you just can't imagine with such low spoke count the wheels can be made that hard. I have another set of wheels set up recently... it's old skool style; Mavic Reflex Ceramic rims (yeah, they are antiques), Sapim CX ray spokes laced to Tune Mig & Mag hubs. With 32 spoke counts i thought they were hard but when i put on these Neutron Ultra... the meaning of hard just went onto a whole new level. I can imagine it would be quite punishing if you have them on a very hard carbon frame like a Scott Addict SL or BMC SLC01... the saving grace for me is the Lynskey R330 soaks up bumps and road vibs so the Neutron Ultra works great... each paddle strokes propels you forward with shocking acceleration.

Most folks would argue that these wheels were made for climbing but like the review below, they are fast on flats too... of course it takes a bit more effort than a mid or high profile wheel to maintain high speeds. IMHO, they make a good crit race wheels other than scaling hills. The start/stop condition of a crit race requires the wheels to spin up fast and these Neutrons do.

Last but not least... they are by far one of the smoothes wheels in the market. They cost forever and the rear free wheels is completely silent! Yes there is still some whining sound but VERY soft, you'd have to be very close to hear it so on open roads, the noise polution will drown it, making you invisible when you sneak up on your mate before over taking them! :D

P.S: The Carbon hubs are bling!

CP Neutron 07'.

[Jan 28, 2009]
Vitix2

OVERALL
Strength:

I think I just covered their strengths.

I think I also covered their weaknesses.

Everyone has a different standard for wheels and is seeking exactly what they like. So, my opinions reflect the fact that I want a relatively light, hassle-free, stiff, smooth rolling wheel that works with my 250 pound body when I'm running up rolling hills, or stroking along with my riding crew when the pace kicks up high and steady. It would be nice if they were good sprinting wheels as well, but in reality, I no longer do much sprinting, and when I do, it is for bragging rights...not points or a prime.

That said, the Nuetron Ultra's fit the bill. They definitely pass the big boy/clydesdale test. At 250, I've wasted money on plenty of wheels that simply are not for me (Kysriums, Zonda's, American Classic, Easton).

The Nuetron Ultras are stiff. when my tongue is hanging out and I'm all over the bike trying to hang on to a wheel, the Ultras are there for me. I can throw my weight around on these and they never yield. They climb really well, maintain high speed good, accelerate fast, and will work with you when the pack settles into 'go fast' mode for long stretches.

These wheels combine the best attributes of a strong, well-handling box rim and a slipperry aero rim. I find them to be great climbers, and you don't have to sacrifice aero performance on the flats. I'm certain that truly aero wheels may be more slippery than these, but just the really hi-end, pure, racing wheels, and even then, not by all that much.

Also, the hubs on these wheels are absolutely great. They are about as smooth as the non-sponsored rider can expect to get without obliterating their cycling allowance.

That said, the Nuetrons are not cheap. In fact, they are the highest caliber wheel that I've ridden in my 20 years of cycling. Therfore, I'd really be peeved if they did not meet my expectations.

However, you should also know that I don't give favorable reviews to products just to make myself feel better about the money I spend on an item, and I'm not easily impressed.

More than anything, you should feel confident that if you value the same attributes in a wheel that I do, you won't be upset about spending your hard-earned duckets on these wheels.

If weight is the primary standard by which you judge, then there are probably better choices at this price point. If you are a lighter rider (170 lbs or less), you may find them too stiff.

The only other things that I would see as potential negatives would be spoke replacement if damaged (their spokes are not easy to come by, but it is a very stout and durable wheel so that should not be a problem unless something freaky happens). It is a pain to change tires on them. However, this might be once a year for me so I don't really care about that too much.

I train on them regularly, but would not feel that they were a disadvantage for races. Heck, the pros have even been known to use them for hilly/climby stages. In fact, Campy positions them as a climbing wheel. Maybe I'm just an unsophisticated cyclist, but I think that is selling their flatland performanec short. They are all-around wheels that excel at climbing and are more than credible on the flats for all but cat 1 racers, those who are really into top shelf wheels, and people who've just got lots of money to put into cycling equipment.

Campy Proton (really, really nice for me, but somewhat harsh and crude compared to the Ultras. Until I made peace with spending on the Ultra's, these were the cats meow for me); Campy Zonda (fast as hell, but the G3 spoking was way too flexible for me and they only distinguished themselves at speed. I'd call them a heart rate zone 4 and 5 wheel for spinners or lighter weight riders); Ksyriums, If you must. Nothing really wrong with them, but nothing particularly right with them either; Fulcrum 5, nice for training and centuries, but they are in a different and lesser class than the Ultras; Mavic Open Pros, the 90's were great; Easton, Please! stick to their seatposts.