Campagnolo Zonda wheelsets - clincher

Best Price At

Campagnolo Zonda Roadwheels (Silver). The Zonda? wheels have been restyled and weigh just 1,610* g, a full 100 g less than in the previous version. Campagnolo? is this year introducing the concept of a differential profile for the Zonda? and Eurus? mod

[May 10, 2015]
Scott

OVERALL
Strength:

-Excellent value for money
-Smooth Hubs
-Bladed Spokes
-Light Weight

none so far

After the first 200km on these wheels, I have never been happier. I came off of a stock set of 105 hub 32h Mavic CXP 22's and it is really like night and day. when you drop 1/2kg of rotational weight, you notice. These wheels have excellent power transfer, especially when climbing. They also maintain speed quite well. I am now able to keep up with my local group because of these wheels. My old wheels were very good, but simply not quick enough on flats and decents to really keep up with most riders(who had much better wheels). I am a featherweight climber(125lbs or 56kg) and unlike some people, I have not found the ride to be any more harsh than my original wheels. One thing that did help though was I decreased my tire pressure slightly, with no effect on speed. Clutch engagement is very good. Cornering-wise, these are worlds better than my old wheels. I put my old tires on, so I can say that these just track very true, with no detectable flex. They are also very well balanced. I managed to get them for around $350 from the UK, and they perform like much more expensive alloy or (some) carbon wheels. The braking surface is good, one will have to wait and see, but I expect it to last a very long time. Though these wheels have bladed spokes, I have not found crosswinds to be much of an issue, as the blades are fairly small. I would highly recommend if you are looking for a good, long lasting set of do-it-all wheels for a reasonable price.

[Nov 26, 2014]
Ignacio

OVERALL
Strength:

Built quality
Bearing rolling quality
Price

None so far

Perfect wheels. These replaced Mavic Aksiums that came with my Cannondale Caad 10 3.

Better and faster rolling perception of the Zondas starts at about 34 km/h (21 mph) and when keeping speeds of about 40 km/h (25 mph) one really notices the difference with the original Aksiums (particularly for a 57 year old guy like me).

Not only they are really perfect aluminum tires, but the made is also top class. I guess the only difference with the Eurus or Shamals and the Zondas is the weight (with a heavy penalty in USD too). I obtained mine for about 350 USD from evolution-cycles from France, that I consider a top deal.

The only original component from these tires that I am not using are the skewers (nothing wrong with them) but I prefer inox skewers from Mavic that clamp the wheel really tight.

[Aug 30, 2014]
Sergio M

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Stiff, Climbs and roll weel and fast... sounds good

None so far or not relevant

I had this wheelset on H&S Bikediscount, on-line shop. My Specialized Tarmac seems a new bike since i mount Zonda, a year ago. My riding feels more and more vicious anda fantastic. The bike become much more light. A great wheelset from Campagnolo!

[Aug 11, 2014]
William G

OVERALL
Strength:

Brilliant wheels for any price, especially when you consider you can get these online with shipping for around the $500 mark. No rim strip required. Fantastic bearings roll forever. As stiff as a glass of cheap bourbon straight up....

Perhaps a tad heavy when you compare to carbon (clincher) de jour wheelsets at 3x the price. Proprietary spokes require sourcing from specialized retailers should you need one (or more).

I purchased the previous 1600+ gram generation circa 2009. People count grams but sometimes fail to consider internals, particularly bearings. These campy wheels roll so incredibly smooth thanks to fantastic bearings and internals, far better than my carbon Easton EC90SLX's with R4sl hubs and ceramic bearings. I'm pretty portly at 180+ lbs and these wheels have never so much as budged from true after more than 10K km on horrific roads and plenty of gravel and pot-holes. Stiff as heck...noticeably stiffer than my Easton's and open pros with Record hubs 32 hole 3x cross wheels that feel like spaghetti in comparison. Probably the most overlooked wheelset amongst Campy users with respect to value, now that the new generation is down to 1550 grams, an even better value ATMO. Note that the ceramic bearings from the higher end Shamal and Eurus are cross compatible with the Zondas for (a unnecessary) upgrade if desired. Don't hesitate if having a hard time deciding between the Zondas or the higher end Campy wheels or Fulcrum 1 or 0....save your cash for a 100 gram difference.

[Nov 05, 2013]
MercRidnMike

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and robust for the price, slight nod to aero, Campy build quality, spin up well and spin smoothly, price, spoke pattern (if you like it)

Not super flashy or sexy, spoke pattern may not be to everyone's liking, replacement parts can be expensive

I purchased a set of 2013 Zondas (regular, not two-way fit) in the spring as an upgrade from the stock Fulcrum Racing T set that came on my 2012 Cervelo S2. Out of the box they were very well trued, quite light (weighed out to 1557g, which is pretty close to their 1550g claimed weight) and striking with the lacing pattern on the rear wheel. For an inexpensive wheel set, the build quality was simply amazing.

I'm a solid clyde class rider (I was actually slightly over the Campy recommended limit when I got them, but have since dropped a lot of weight), so I was hoping for the best with these. So far, I I have put a good number of km's under the wheels and they have remained true, in spite of my bulk and the horrible roads where I live. They were a noticeable upgrade from the stock wheels...the bike felt faster and changed lines a little easier (I also changed tires from Gatorskins to GP400s, so the entire wheelset lost a lot of weight...lion's share was in the wheels, so I'll credit them).

They are not an aero wheelset, but they do have a differential depth (the rear is a few mm deeper than the front) and bladed spokes...enough to make a difference? I doubt it...but they look nice and the color scheme matches my bike ;) If you're after pure aero performance, dig out the wallet and look elsewhere...these aren't your wheels. As a climbing set, though, they do seem to do quite well...even after a couple days in the saddle for a multi-day charity ride.

Campy wheels don't often get much press and they certainly aren't the most flashy wheels out there, but Campagnolo builds their wheels with the same commitment that they apply to all their products: you make a quality product that works well and is dependable or the Campy name doesn't go on it. That commitment shows. Sure, Aksiums and Shimano wheels in the same price bracket may have more flash, but I don't think you get the same quality in a machine built, mass produced wheel as you do in a quality hand built set.

Okay, they have a downside: they can be more expensive to fix (parts are a bit more and not as often "on hand" at the LBS), but the bearings are serviceable (loose bearings....just like Shimano) and the quality is there so the likelihood of needing to do repairs is lower. Of course, those who are gear snobs might not want to have Campy wheels with their SRAM or Shimano groups...but the stickers do come off, so don't let the name on the rim deter you.

If you are in the market for a lighter set of wheels for an upgrade that won't break the bank, but want something quality that can take some abuse too, these are well worth the look. They may not be super flashy, overly aero or gimmicky, but they work very well.

Fulcrum Racing T's, hand built set on Hope Pro III hubs and Mavic hoops

[Apr 01, 2013]
Pedal Pusha

OVERALL
Strength:

Hubs are smooth as silk and freewheel forever
Awesome looks with the G3 spoke pattern matt black finishing
Great value for money equation and no reliability issues after 4,850 kms

No weaknesses to report so far

After researching the 3 major wheels at this price-point - Fulcrum Racing 3, Mavic Ksyrium Elite and the Zondas, I opted for the Zondas. I heard there is not much difference between the Fulcrum 3s but I just love the look of the Zondas, the Italians just know how to combine functionality with aesthetics.

I replaced the stock Shimano R500s that came with my ride and installed Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres as I thought Italian brands should complement each other. The difference is significant, not only the stiffness but they freewheel like a dream and are smooth as butter. The hubs make a distinctive high pitched sound like a swarm of angry bees. They feel responsive when you stand on the pedals, and because the spokes are stainless steel the Zondas ride well too.

I weigh just over 80 kgs and after almost 5,000 kms I have not had any reliability problems nor have they needed to be trued.

Apart from posing it's hard to justify going up a level from these wheels unless you are a club racer or triathlete. Overall I would recommend these in a heartbeat.

Fulcrum Racing 3
Shimano R500

[Mar 14, 2013]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

I've just ordered a new pair. My previous got a stone knock
to the rear rim which has opened a 3cm crack in the rim wall. I only noticed when I got home. I've had them 7 years and apart from one spoke breakage I've never had to true them. I'm just under 200lbs the wheels have done at least 25,000 miles and racing. I hope the new set will be as good.

None that I can see.

Very good quality and reliability. I've trusted mine completely. I own Mavics and Khasmins for my winter bikes and use the Zondas in summer. They aren't as light as carbon but for responsiveness and value for money they can not be faulted.

[Mar 08, 2013]
Dave Elliott

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, very smooth running, feels stiff when putting powerdown, i could feel the difference straight away over the khamsin, felt like was getting an extra mph when on the flat, and they feel so responsive when tackling steep climbs, decending is so much more asured and the braking more precise and controled than with the khamsin set i was using before. With the chorus skeleton calipers i felt in total control when decending around hairpins and felt they were not going to lock up to easily when under hard braking and my decending speed has increased. I use the vittoria rubino pro tyre and a standard tube the weight saving over the khamsin and zaffiro tyre which came with my bike is aprox 548gms. I feel they are an excellent price for the quality and if you are seriously cosidering an upgrade you would do a lot worse of all the upgrades I have done this is by far the best investment for the outlay of money.

none i can think of

excellent value for money worth every penny

[Jan 28, 2013]
Peter

OVERALL
Strength:

Bomb proof, can take a heavy rider. Spin fast and corner great

I am a big lad at 210 lbs and these wheels are just fine for me. Very strong indeed. I upgraded from stock R500s and the performance improvement is very significant indeed. No flex whatsoever despite my weight and they spin forever. Great for climbing and a massive improvement cornering. A really good value wheel at a lower pricepoint than the Fulcrum 3's. Also stuck a full alloy cassette on (unltegra) to make sure there is no dig into the freehub from harder steel cassettes. Done a 1000 miles so far and no issues.

[Jun 09, 2012]
Andy

OVERALL
Strength:

Atom-Bombproof

Only the rider's stupidity
Left my cassette on for 2 years and it had bedded in to the original free hub. Got it off with a hammer and a punch. Unfortunately the freehub bearings are now making a noise.

2002 model. 90kg.
Ridden the alps for year, trained in rolling hills, 2 ironman tris, all sorts of roads. Estimated 10,000km.
Only maintenannce was to wipe the rims with a wet sponge every 12 months.
The wheels are still true, the wheels still spin with a gentle push for a long, long time.

Going to buy some more.