CODA Competition Road 700c Wheelset wheelsets - clincher

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 31, 2009]
    matias

OVERALL
    Strength:

NONE

THE WHOLE PACKAGE RIM,HUB,AND SPOKES

THE WORST WHEEL EVER,IF YOU BUY A 60CM BIKE CHANCES ARE YOUR NOT GOING TO WEIGH UNDER 160 POUNDS.GOT THEM TRUED ALOT. HUB WENT OUT WHEN I TRIED SPRINTING TO CATCH UP WITH RIDE GROUP. JUST CRAP

NONE

[Oct 11, 2005]
    poohbah75

OVERALL
    Strength:

Match my bike (sort of), light weight

light weight sacrifices strength, out of true constantly, have broken too many spokes

According to a previous post, if you're only 110 lbs., these wheels are great. Unfortunately, I am 205 lbs., and I don't ride light. I hardly use these wheels anymore bacuse they get out of true so easily. I even had them relaced in 3-cross pattern, which helped a bit (the stock lacing was radial front/radial non-drive/two-cross drive), but I still had to true them after every ride, and sometimes in the middle of rides. Heavy/powerful riders stay away! I never understood why anyone would spec a 28 hole conventional rim on a 60 cm frame...

Mavic Cosmics (durable as hell), looking for new set (maybe Easton/Velomax Orion II?)

[Aug 09, 2004]
    TripleTriangle

OVERALL
    Strength:

Super light. On paper math suggests around 1600 grams. Look great

Not for anyone but ultra light riders.

Very nice wheels. Hugi (opps, I mean CODA ;) ) hubs work well, love the noise during free wheeling. I wouldn't pay the Hugi price for the hubs, but the CODA price was great. Rims are great too, tired and true Mavic Open Pros. Not the lightest, but they keep going. The wheels have stayed true except for maybe a millimeter. I ride some rough roads, even a few dirt roads. But I'm also really light, 118 pounds.

Alex DA16

[May 17, 2003]
    CritLover

OVERALL
    Strength:

Overall great training wheel, matches my orange bike.

None so far.

Bought them for training wheels and they have been great! Have about 2000 miles on them and they are as true as the day I put them on. Have heard about the problems mentiioned below from my LBS, but can say I haven't had anything to complain about. The hubs are Hugi's, rims are Mavic standard Open Pro's, so the only thing that could go wrong is the build, but I guess I got lucky.

Vector Comps, Zipp 404s, Sestrieres, Open Pro-Ultegra

[Oct 02, 2002]
    Chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

still thinkin'...

everything. same thing happened to my dad's rear coda.

These came on my R700--coda hubs (which, by the way, are the same for mountain and road) and Mavic CPX33. They suck. After 60 mi on flat, newly paved roads, the rear came radially out of true. Thried to true 'em. Spoke tension was way uneven. Took it to LBS. Said it was toast. I only weigh 140. I don't think I'm that strong! They're also heavy, don't engage quickly, and noisy. These don't even deserve 1 falmin' rhino turd. STAY AWAY FROM THESE.

King w/ Bontrager Valiant, Bontrager (very good value), Shimano

[Aug 21, 2002]
    on-your-left

OVERALL
    Strength:

Orange matches the decals on the frames. Mavic Open Pro rims are very nice.

Hubs suck.

They came with my 2001 Cannondale R1000. Perhaps they are an older version of the ones being described in the other review, but... Rims and spokes are fine, but the hubs suck! They don't spin. I practically break a sweat trying to roll the bearing with my fingers. I'm saving my money for some new hubs.

The hubs on my cheapo trek mt bike and my 15 year old Shimano 105 hubs were better.

[Aug 15, 2002]
    Mark M13

OVERALL
    Strength:

Silent free hub. Fairly light.

Hubs and spokes

I received these wheels as replacement for a previous set of defective Cannondale wheels. I was hopeful of this set as they were made with Hugi hubs, Open pro rims and Al. bladed spokes. While they were fairly light they were heavy enough to be considered an every day wheel, esp. for a rider of my size; 138lbs. On the second ride 4 front spokes came so loose that the nipples were rattling in the eyelets!!! Had to retrue wheel. About four months later, 30 miles from home, the engagement mechanism in the rear hub started to strip. Whenever I put any torque on the pedals, the cassette just slipped forward with a loud grinding sound. I was left walking to a teammates house who lent me a rear to get home. I sent the rear back for a warranty claim and continued to ride the front; but not for long. About a week later two spokes broke in the front. Even with the front brake completely open I was left riding home with the rim rubbing the brakes. I would recommend staying away from these wheels at all costs.

Rolf Vector Pro, Mavic Cosmos, MA40/105 Coda 100.

[May 12, 2002]
    martysrex

OVERALL
    Strength:

Open pro Mavic wheel with swiss made hugi hubs. Great looking and great perfomance!

None great OEM wheel!

I love these wheels! They look great and really preform. I had Mavic helium tubulars on before these and I would say they compare favorably. If looking for a great set of wheels and you can find a good used pair these are great! Excellent for an OEM.

Mavic Helium