DT Swiss RR 1450 wheelsets - clincher

DT Swiss Champion Series wheelsets feature System Optimized Components including: SBWT welded DT Swiss rims, precision built DT Swiss Hubs featuring the highest quality stainless steel ball bearings, DT Swiss patented Star Ratchet System, state of the art double forged bladed spokes and specially designed Pro lock nipples.

[Aug 08, 2010]
bmc rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Fast, Instant Response, Straight.

Unkown

DT Swiss RR 1450 are great wheels. My prior wheels were Mavic ES. They seemed fine. But these seem to coast and ride on the flats much faster with less effort and track very straight. On hills just stomp on the pedals the the ratchet hubs provide instant acceleration. Too soon to know about long term reliability. The Mavic ES's were bullet proof but not nearly as fast or quick.

Mavic ES Kysrium, Easton Velomax Accent and Circuit, Kysrium SSL

[Feb 10, 2010]
David S

OVERALL
Strength:

Light as hell, saved about a pound and a half over my old wheels. A really good value (as long as you build them up yourself or get a shop to do it, although with 240s hubs now retailing for over 500 bucks, the 850 dollar sticker price is becoming more appealing). Hubs are awesome, basically the same as Hugis, and hugis will last 15 years. Easy to true. Easy to replace rims, spokes, parts aren't proprietary. Really comfy compared to ksyriums or lower spoke count wheels.

Won't make you any stronger.

I got a great price on these, had been wanting to replace my archaic 7speed 105s laced to mavic ma4s, so sprung on them. This is a review for a custom laced set (brass nipples), so probably about 1.5 kgs for the set. Overall, a very nice wheelset. I'm very nicely surprised with the rims, they're stiff without beating you up, hold true well, look flashy. The hubs are really, really, really dope, buttery smooth, easy to service, and have a reputation for lasting forever.

Ksyriums, bontrager race lights (also excellent, but not as light even though lower spoke count, using similar parts)

[Nov 24, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight: Good climbing wheels
Laterally stiff - don't rub the brake blocks (Kysiruims did)and handle well
Hubs are really good, so keepers after the rims dead.

Rims - Failed after 12 months. Also the join on the rim is really noticable (looks avaerage) and the stickers are very second rate.
Not aero (even with bladed DT aerolite spokes). I found them to be similar to classic open pro/ultegra wheels in this regard.

These wheels have been an exercise in lessons learnt. I initially bought these to replace 2007 kysirium elites. I was looking for lightweight and aero allrounders. The DT's bought on line were competitively priced and specced. 12 months later a very mixed bag. Firstly the hubs and spokes are very good. No issues, no broken spokes and light. The rims are rubbish. I've since learnt that they are single eyeletted, with the end result being the rear wheel cracked at the rim on 8-10 spokes after 12 months and 5000km. I'm 80kg, not generally hard on gear, and ride mostly on smooth roads. Only one puncture in this time.
Overall they are good climbing wheels, laterally stiff and comfortable due to low profile rims. They are not aero though. Too many spokes for that, and had noticably more drag than my prev wheels on undulating fast roads.

Kysirium Elites - OK but a bit heavy
Mavic open pro/ultegra hubs - bullet proof.
Shimano 500's - (worst wheels in history)

[Jul 18, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and good hubs

Ligth rims, but two broken in less than 3 years.

Normal use. Rear rim cracked one year after buying it. Replaced by DT Swiss and cracked again in 19 months. Out of guarantee and not serviced by DT Swiss. Now I have replaced the rims by a Mavic Openpro rims. Don't buy the wheels.

I use the RR1450 with Mavic Openpro rims

[May 03, 2009]
Xavier

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong: Drove over the rear wheel in my car (on grass). Still true!
Light: Lighter than Kysriums, similar price if not cheaper
Reliable: had mine 3 years, regularly ride country lanes with serious potholes. They've never needed truing

DT Swiss customer service - there are no servicing instructions available for them from their website and they ignore emails

Specced them on my Airbone Zeppelin 3 years ago, now run them on a Van Nicholas Aeolus that I use for audaxing. Fantastic wheels. I'd buy another set and recommend them to anyone either for racing or audaxing. I'm 6ft and ~160lbs

[Mar 01, 2008]
greg44

OVERALL
Strength:

Roll smooth, Light, Plenty stiff, Good reputation for reliabilty, stealth looks

Crappy looking sticker...hey got a put something. Stickers coming off for even more stealthiness

Replaced a set of Ksyrium Sl's with the dt swiss 1450's. Wow! Just as stiff if not stiffer and yet ride is much more compliant. They roll butter smooth. The amazing thing is on my first 60 miler with 2 mountain climbs I finally understand what people mean about a wheel being aero. On this ride we had 10-15 mph cross and head winds. Normally I would be fighting my bike to stay on line with sl's. With Dt Swiss bike tracked straight. After one hard ride with 2 climbs I'm sold on them. By the way I weigh 200lbs and did not notice any flex. Granted I'm a sit down climber.

Ksyrium sl's, Ksyrium Elite, Shimano 550

[Dec 26, 2007]
KMB

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light for a non-carbon rim, strong, stiff, hubs...great ride. Cool color options, which look great on many of the new black/white bikes that are out.

People wanting an extremely stiff rim might be disappointed. I'm 6'0 and 175lbs and the rims flex a little when I really get on a sprint.

This is a review of the Mon Chasseral RR1450 wheelset (white) as well. Incredible set of wheels that are light, strong, and stiff. You can find stiffer wheels, but the rise quality is very close to full carbon rims that are easily twice the price, in my opinion. The DT 240 hubs are buttery smooth.

Zipp 303, Mavic Carbones and Kysrium, Bontrager Race X Lites, Reynolds Cirro Mid-V Carbons.

[Oct 25, 2007]
Bertrand

OVERALL
Strength:

Light
Reliable
Very quiet hub

none so far.

I've had these wheels for about one year. Bought them off RBR classifieds with about 500 miles on them. (Built by Mike Garcia). They replaced a set of AC Sprint 350s that were a PITA. They have been completely smooth, reliable, and trouble free since then. I don't know what else to say. I just ride on them and forget about them.

AC sprint 350

[Oct 21, 2007]
AGA

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, and they look fantastic on a black and white bike. They spin up much faster than Ksyriums, aren't knocked around by crosswinds, and the hub will last forever (which isn't true of Ksyriums). They also corner tighter and the front wheel tracks better too. And Ksyriums look cheap, period.

None - except maybe the price. You can get a DT handbuilt set for less than these, with essentially the same parts. But at about what you would pay for Kysriums or a variety of other brands, they are a steal.

I bought these as an upgrade from my Ksyrium SL3s. I wanted lighter wheels with a better mechanical reputation, but was also looking for something that would give my bike an awesome custom look. These fit the bill. They are about 150 grams lighter than Ksyriums, have bullet-proof Hugi 240s hubs, DT Revolution spokes, and very light DT 1.1 rims. And on my black and white bike with red trim, they look like they were kitted with the bike. On the road they inspire confidence and make you faster.

Ksyrium SL3, Cane Creek Aerohead

[Aug 23, 2007]
Frank

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, responsive, won't break the bank and so far zero problems.

The best wheel for the money, even if yu pay full price ($899). Replaced a pair of Ksyrium ES wheels with the DT Swiss RR 1450 after the ES's failed. Much better wheel in every aspect.

Mavic ES& SL3, Campy neutron& Hyperion, Veloflex Orion