Fulcrum ZERO wheelsets - clincher

Just got them yesterday in a box straight from Milan and i have had put 130 km´s on them already.
I also have a pair of Ksyrium SL´s, but this feel lighter,smoother,stronger and faster going up and down. They look awesome and come complete with bags and skewers. I was looking for stiffeness and they are great in this subject. I love them and i would recomend them to anyone.
They sound lovely and the wind is not a subject with them, and i life in a pretty windy area, but there is not a diference with the Mavic´s.

[Aug 15, 2014]
Greg Fiore

OVERALL
Strength:

Great wheel until you need to repair. Fast and stiff. Look great too.

The problem is service. I had to replace the front rim on my Zero and it was next to impossible. Two experienced wheel builders tried and couldn't pull it off

Stay with wheels that have a better history of warranty and support

[Apr 24, 2013]
john

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff, steady, roll up (relatively) fast, smooth bearing

Fulcrum/ Campagnolo Company- Warranty- Expensive to purchase- replace repair
Durability-
Weak rim design

These wheels were great when they were rolling- for a relatively shallow profile aluminum rim wheel. Considering the retail for $1,700.00 and you can purchase a LOT different wheel sets in this price range, including deeper profile aero carbon wheels. I hadthe Zero's on my bike for 3 months, when one day on a routine Sunday group ride, we rolled through a few sections of uneven pavement and cobblestone type of roads. When I got home, I realized the rim was bent on near the rim edge down into the braking surface. Being the original owner, I contacted the closest Authorized Fulcrum dealer. After a week, Fulcrum explained the wheels would not be cover under warranty, and $500.00 to rebuild (1) rear wheel. Really? $500.00 After just paying $1500.00. Honestly, have been on both sides of the bicycle industry, and knowing most company's try and worm their way out of most warranty claims- I anticipated incurring some expense, and Fulcrum could have repaired the wheel for less-but since they only penetrate >18% market share, guess they need to generate revenue in whatever way they can. Hopefully I can get a few dollars for the set, then back to Mavic.
The name is appropriate however_ ZERO'S, because you get Zero support from Fulcrum.

[Dec 09, 2012]
Jack O

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, Smooth, responsive, true and fast.

Not that impressed after the first ride, but after the bearings where broken in I have increased my average speed with 1,6 kmt/h compared to my old wheel set (from 27,8 to 29,4) when riding alone, this is meassured on the same 40 km. route (various terrain) over 3 rides on the old wheels and 4 rides on the fulcrum Racing Zero's and with the same tires and tubes as on my old wheels, in order to compare the 2 wheel sets in the most accurate way possible for me, for me the result speaks for itself. Only minor issue was that the hub bearings needed adjusting which is very easy on these wheels... in my opinon the Fulcrum Racing Zero's are highly recommendable

Mracle 60 mm full carbon

[Jul 28, 2011]
David Ballantyne

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightness, strong, smooth rolling, and easy to use. Will ride any road!

Expensive.

I have riden the R-3's for two years and I found them to be bomb proof and a great improvement over the standard Most Chall wheels that come on my Opera Leonardo Carbon bike. I moved up to the R-3's and was blown away by the difference in smoothness, response in all situations and durability. I am a Clydesdale and I ride everything hard and fast and the R-3's rode with me well... until a pigeon hit my front wheel. Don't ask. Crazy stuff, but I survived and the wheel never would stay trued afterwards.
I went to upgrade the R-3's and bought the Racing R-0's and and rode them for the first time in the Granfondo Pinarello. All I can say is, wow, they were 100% better than the R-3's! I loved how they rolled and their lightness. Uphill that made it happen with ease. Downhill and into corners that held the line steady even when I was bombing and diving. I recommend these wheels to anyone wanting a clincher, tubeless wheel set and who can appreciate riding a stallion!

R3's from Fulcrum, Most Chall

[Jun 26, 2011]
Roger H

OVERALL
Strength:

Too soon to tell...

Workmanship?

Bought them based on decent reviews and of course, looks. Front wheel needed truing right out of the box. Seem a little cheap, almost like "Made in China". Function okay, so far.

[Jun 15, 2011]
Lawrence

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, Fast, Rounded Wheelset

Forging piece of freewheel body giving the rear wheel at the bad situation while pedalling after ride for quite sometime.

Fast, smooth and stiff wheelset. Easily pace at average of 45km/h. When ride, it definitely the stiff wheelset even the road surface uneven, we can fell it very well. While ride uphill, you might felt a little bit heavy if compare with lower profile wheelset since it is profile of 30mm rear and 24mm front.
Bad Side, the latest Fulcrum Racing Zero, freewheel body made from forcing piece, which the paws sitting places unevenly crafted, therefore after i rode for 4months, there is sound like untighten spokes at rear wheel when you are pedalling. Aluminium CNC piece would not having this kind of problem.

Dura Ace W7801, Dura Ace C50 Clincher

[May 19, 2010]
KevinLutz

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, light, tubeless, look cool, ceramic bearings, carbon hubs.

None. Did not experience any vibration mentioned by others. Same goes for my 2009 pair of Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels.

2010 Fulcrum Racing Zero 2-way fit with Hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless tires. The ride is great! These wheels spin up extremely fast and with the ceramic bearings, the roll effortlessly. Climb extremely well. Mounting the tubeless tires was a piece of cake. So far no issues with the tires or wheels.

Light racing wheels from Spinergy, Shimano, and Rolf. No past experience with tubeless.

[May 08, 2010]
Yanez

OVERALL
Strength:

The wind is not a problem with these ones,good looking.

A bit pricey for aluminum clinchers. a tad heavy than expected, or prob is my (06' 555 LOOK, the problem here)

Nice looking! Fast!got the black with red spokes,Great on cross winds! good climbers,light but not 1425g as described on the web-site.

Alex rims,campagnolo ventos.

[Nov 16, 2009]
grant896

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Responsive, Good looking too

None, I will keep you posted.......

Oh man, have you heard the song, Sick Sick Sick by Queens of the Stone Age???
Listen to it, this explains my feelings for this wheelset!! I had stock bontragers on my madone 4.7 and after the transplant, responsiveness, free wheeling and weight reduction gives this bike the life it needs. You notice the difference immediatley and I, myself notice that my cadence has bumped up on the gears I use often.
It brought another level to my riding, man I sound like a try hard....

Sick! Sick! Sick! dah na na naaa!!!!

[Sep 04, 2009]
glen a miller

OVERALL
Strength:

Wheels are great all round, climbing, sprinting, motoring or even timetrialing. Fantastic acceleration, very light (my first set of super light factory wheels, I usually build my own old school style), pretty good aerodynamics dispite rim profile, pretty bomb-proof as well and very smooth bearings.

At slow speeds they transmit a sonic vitration through the frame, materializing prominently @ the seattube waterbottle with a vigorous sideways vibration. I purchased a second set off e-bay that were virtually brand new and had the same problem. I also tried them on the Cervelo with the same results which makes me believe it's frams with tall flat chainstays working agains spokes the width of fan blades that's the problem. I guess this isn't really a weakness on the wheels part or on the frames part either, just an incompatability issue. Just keep the speed up and there should be no noticable vibration issues. Fulcrum says I'm the first to have ever noticed this anomally. The price is also an issue being $1600 retail and say you do need to replace a spoke, $18 to $20 per spoke is quite steep in my book. I guess the price is the only real weakness here.

Bought a BMC Pro last year with these hoops and what a ride, don't know which one complimented the other since this was my first carbon frame. Have had no problems with them what-so-ever asside from a miss-hap of the drive train collapsing into the rear wheel and hence needing the wheel rebuilt.