Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelsets - clincher

Racing5 are the entry-level wheels in the Fulcrum® range. Ideal for training and for century rides they will fulfil all your expectations with their extremely high performance and long life. The aluminium rim has a height of 24 mm and its braking surfaces are machined to provide the greatest friction for the brake pads when braking.

[Nov 15, 2015]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, Inexpensive, Stiff

Heavy, Harsh ride

Good training wheels that stay true and can take the hits. I've put approximately 2700 miles on them and they have held up well. I've also been impressed with how they have not caused flats. I've hit some serious pot holes, but none have caused a flat yet. These are definitely not racing wheels at 1700+ grams for the pair, but a solid pair of wheels for training and fast rides.

[Mar 12, 2014]
Kirk

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability, looks, no maintenance, road feel, quiet hubs, great value.

Only weakness is tire changes. I have pinched tubes, snapped tire tools, given myself more than one blood blister. I swap out cross tires every season and I dread it!

Great wheels overall. These wheels came on a Ridley cross bike that is my daily go to bike as well as my 'cross race machine' 4 or 5 times a year. They may not be the lightest or spin up the fastest but after 5 years of year 'round punishment (I'm 185#) they have never needed a truing. Amazing for the cost of these wheels. I'm considering buying a second set just so I don't have to swap the tires as often.

Definitely recommend them to anyone looking for a rock solid do-it-all wheelset.

Shimano Dura Ace Road, Shimano WH6500s, Rolf Pros

[Jun 19, 2013]
Trail-rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Price,easy servicible.

Stated weight.

Nice looking set of wheels which roll smoothly on the flat and are fast when decending. hold the road well when cornering and have had no problems in cross winds.Pros and experienced riders will find they are a little heavy when climbing.Very durable and easy to service. For the price they are worth buying, not the best wheels out there, then again there are worse sets of wheels. As for the stated weight thats without both axles the spacers, the quick release and freehub body. My front wheel weighs 765g with bearings, rear 855g with bearings. front axle/spacers/lock nut weigh 56g. Rear axle/spacers/lock nut weigh 85g. Freehub body with bearings/pawls weigh 131g. 765+885=1650.

[Mar 21, 2013]
MercRider

OVERALL
Strength:

Seemed fine prior to the rear wheel getting a broken spoke, which happened three times.

Three broken spokes on the rear after only about 1500 miles, and NO bike shops carry the spokes. And I am a light rider, only 150 lbs. It has sat in the garage, since no one sells the spokes.

They came on my new bike in 2008. After the first broken spoke and no one could fix it, I used other wheels. I finally spent the big bucks for a new spoke, and pretty soon I had another broken spoke. It sat a few more years, but recently I got a new spoke and had the wheels trued, but shortly I had another broken spoke. It sits in the garage again with its broken spoke.

[Mar 31, 2009]
neville jenkins

OVERALL

I purchased Fulcrum 5 rims with a new Storck road bike. Both rims performed well but lost out in the durability dept. At 9,000km both were found to have cracks. To Fulcrums redit however they are replacing them. I will change back to Mavic Open Pro for reliability

[Feb 12, 2009]
jaylebs1

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, strength/stiffness and looks. would be good training wheel. bearings could be replaced.

Crap bearings( guess you can fix that easy enough), not well balanced and poor rim join.

The wheels look the part and are very strong and reasonably stiff.( i weigh 85kg/187lbs) However the pair i got had a very poor rim join that was vertically out of alignment and it had to be machined flat as well. one of the big points fulcrum make is how well balanced the wheels are but they arent. they make a pretty obvious out of balance sound(sans tyres) and the bearings are rough as guts. you can feel them crunching(if you spin the wheel in your hands), although the wheels do seem to spin up ok. i was not very happy with the rear wheel. the front is pretty good though.

mavic open pro, ultegra

[Jul 09, 2008]
bikemrh

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice looking rim. I think they would be great entry level rims for lighter riders.

Spokes break if you are a heavier rider.

Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels are not good if you are a heavier rider. I am 285 and have had two rear spokes break. I am not a rough rider. I emailed Fulcrum and Specialized to see if there is a weight limit for riders. Specialized said no but a heavier rider can break things and to deal with a local bike shop. Not much help there. Fulcrum hasn't responded.

I used original Rolf Pro Vector rims on a Trek 5200 until last year and didn't have any problems with those rims.

[Mar 28, 2008]
michaelen14

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, quiet ride. The wheel look sharp and they spin up to speed easily.

I wish they the rims had a more aero profile.

I recently bought this wheelset from Ebay with a ceramic bearing upgrade. I have been pleasantly surprised with this wheelset for the price I paid. I have used it in traing for the past three months and recently took it on a century ride and the wheels have performed flawlessly. I have found that I have easily coasted, rode, and matched other riders who are riding on wheels much more expensive than these. They definately are not race wheels, but for the price, what would you expect.

[Mar 18, 2008]
Vitix2

OVERALL
Strength:

Strentgh, handling, appearance, great low prices...You get more than you pay for.

weight, slight amount of flex, a little dead feeling (may have to do with the weight of the wheels. They feel good at speed and change speeds OK when rolling along, but they are not 'spin up quick' wheels)

This is a follow up review to one that I posted shortly after I mounted the Fulcrum 5's. My impressions are still relatively the same. It is a good, strong, low end wheel that will serve you well for training and recreational riding.

They look good, seem to retain their trueness well, and handle well. I am happy with this wheel on my secondary/off-season bike.

However, since my first review, the wheels have lost some of their quietness. They are still pretty quiet, but not as much as they were 500 miles ago. They are still strong wheels by any account, but they do have a little bit of flex (not enough to be a problem)....but, I'm large/240lbs. They are also heavy wheels, but their shape and strentgh help them spin up O.K.

Would I buy these again? During the first review I would have definitely answered, yes! Now, I guess I'd say, "I would'nt not buy them if I needed a set of strong, inexpensive, wheels that offer moderate performance." During the first review, I thought that they could potentially prove themselves to be more than just a credible set of training and recreational wheels. After about 500 miles, It is clear that they are what they are, and if you're looking for such a wheel, don't hesitate to purchase them. Just don't expect too much from them.

Campy Proton
Mavic Open Pro/ w Chorus Hubs

[Jan 16, 2008]
Sandy

OVERALL
Strength:

strong, good looking

Bit of flex, braking surface, tyre tolerances are too small!

Good training wheels. Strong, not too heavy, look pretty good. Would not use for racing as there is a fair bit of flex. Hubs seem to be fairly good. Annoying bump every time you break due to the weld on the rim as they are joined on the braking surface. The real downfall of these wheels is the tolerances. My set makes putting on even the loosest of tires an absolute nightmare. Have pinched loads of innertubes and broken tyres levers trying to get on standard tire such as michelin pros and continental gatorskins. I just use them as a set of turbo wheels now as terrified of puncturing on the road and not being able to get it off!

loads, mavic open pros, campag, easton, .....