Hed Designs Ardennes CL wheelsets - clincher

With the CL model HED brings bulletproof durability to their lightweight Ardennes line. Suitable for cross ultra-distance riding or larger riders these wheels bring a new level of performance to the word value. The Ardennes CL Tubular Wheelset has a claimed weight of 1642 grams 732 gram front 910 gram rear. Compatible with clincher tires. Black rims with Silver spokes. 700c. ShimanoSRAM 8910 and Campagnolo 91011 compatible versions are available.

[May 21, 2020]
UnkleLar

OVERALL
Strength:

Look well built. I have the first year Ardennes and they were great. They ride well. Hopefully with 700x25 tubeless on the CL I can get these to rack up the miles the old ones did. My low rating is for mounting tires and road side tube replacement not quality. If you don't do your own wrenching then you will love these things and I would go to 4.5.

My god it is hard to put a tire on these things. First mounting of new tires (700x23 Conti GP) broke a tire lever. Used tires were awful to mount, new nearly impossible. I could not repair tube on roadside because of difficulty mounting tire. Contacted both vendor ( Competitive Cyclist ) and HED. Both were communicative and I did not proceed to exchange (CC) or send to HED tech as the rims are within tolerances of circumference and tire bead. I decided to keep and use tubeless. Did I mention how hard to put a tire on? I was unable to mount Bontrager tubeless 700x24 but could mount Continental 700x25. I recommend using the VAR tire tool for the final bit of bead. The Kool-Stop tire tool did not work for me and the Blackburn broke. With tubeless and goop it should eliminate the more common punctures I receive.

Price Paid:
2019
[May 10, 2020]
bikedoc

OVERALL
Strength:

I have several sets of the wheels. These are my favorite road and CX wheels. They are fast, durable and comfortable. I use Conti GP 4000 and inflate tires at 90 PSI no pinch flats for my road bikes. I am a large frame 6'1" 220lb rider.

Only weakness was that I had to replace one of the quick releases after several years of use.

Price Paid:
2019
[Sep 08, 2015]
T Connell

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, stable, smooth.

Non

I have been riding these wheels for a year now and they are awesome. They roll great, handle incredibly and between the HED rings and White Industry hubs I couldn't imagine a better built wheel. A big Thanks to Richard at Pro Wheel Builder for his suggestions. I love my wheels.

Mavic and Easton

[Oct 20, 2014]
Robert Woodrow

OVERALL
Strength:

With three thousand miles on the CL's no problems for this 175 pound rider. The wheels were an upgrade from older Campy wheels (97 Shamals) whose hub finally failed and could not be repaired. Actually I think the CL's might just be a better wheel. I ride recreationally on a variety of roads in central Texas and have found the CLs to be smoother, and faster then the Shamals. Another big point is ease of changing tires. A flat on the Shamals was cause to activate the cell phone and call my sag wagon. The wheels have endured some of Texas poor quality back roads with no problem, in fact they are smoother than their predecessors.

At this point I have nothing to complain about after 3000 miles on the CLs. I got them at Competitive Cyclist for a competitive price, and have been a happy camper ever since.

Good wheels, good price, good ride.