Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL wheelsets - clincher

The Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL Clincher Wheel or Wheelset combines the reliability and braking performance of a traditional aluminum rim with the lightweight aerodynamic advantages of a deep-dish carbon wheel.

[Aug 02, 2017]
FELIX

OVERALL
Strength:

AFFORDABLE, AS RUGGED AS MAVIC'S OTHER ALUMINUM RIMS , MANAGEABLE IN CROSS WINDS , GREAT LOOKING.

A BIT HEAVY

I WAS A CAT 3/4 RACER IN THE 90'S AND DID ALL OF MY TRAINING AND RACING ON MAVIC OPEN CD4'S. THEY ARE STILL IN PERFECT SHAPE 20 YRS AND 20,000 MILES LATER - STILL ON MY OLD STEEL TOMMASSINI.
WHEN I WANTED TO UPGRADE MY KESTREL RACING/ TRI BIKE I WANTED AN ALUMINUM BRAKING SURFACE AND RUGGED RELIABILITY WITH AN AERO ADVANTAGE, AND I TRUSTED MAVIC. I HAVE THREE YEARS AND 3500 MILES ON THESE WEELS TRAINING AND RACING ON MISERABLY ROUGH ROADS HERE IN LOUISIANA, AS WELL AS A LOT OF TRAINER MILES ON MY KURT KENETIC ROCK N ROLL TRAINER ( TRAINERS ARE HELL ON WHEELS ). THEY STILL LOOK AND ROLL LIKE BRAND NEW. GREAT VALUE - ONLY DOWNFALL IS THEY ARE A BIT HEAVY COMPARED TO THE FULL CARBON TOP LEVEL WHEELS BUT I FEEL THEY WERE A GOOD VALUE FOR $ 1200. I AM LIGHT, AT 6'1'', 162LB AND I'M A HIGH RPM GUY SO THIS MAY BY THE HEAVIER GUYS HAVE HAD SOME ISSUES. ALSO, THE TIRES WHICH MAVIC ENGINEERED AND WERE INCLUDED WITH THE WHEELS HAVE BEEN TOP NOTCH, NO PUNCTURES AND GREAT GRIP.

[Nov 28, 2014]
Leigh

OVERALL
Strength:

The wheel looks good with the new black breaking surface. It look like its all carbone.

They did last. I used them as a second set and don't race. he spokes started twisting after just under two years and this symptom got worse. The issue was small cracks in the rim. This resulted in spokes twisting and the wheel went out of true. The worst was cornering wnd the wheel almost collapsed.

I won't be purchasing these light weight wheels even as a second good set. I use a $1000' for training and leave it at that. I had it buy products that are expensive and promise so much but didn't deliver what was the product was intended to do from the manufacturer. Thus should be covered under a consumer guarantee if they were used in a reasonable manner which they obviously have been. Less in fact, l estimate l did about 4000km in 22 months.

Kysirium ssc, two hubs cracked but at least l had 3years out of these wheels

[Jan 29, 2013]
Carlos

OVERALL
Strength:

they look really nice

poor aluminum strength.

Wheels were used for 10 months. 8k-10k. nipples cracked the inside of the rear wheel. i realized b/c the wheel started coming out of true. when taken to the shop for truing the owner looked at the nipples. he said that he had seen that same defect with previous wheels that he had owned. 2 nipples had cracked the aluminum and the spoke lost tension causing the wheel to became out of true.
i am 5'11" 215-220 lbs rider. i ride strong and train strong too 4x week, 160-220miles per week. 80-100 miles on Saturday 22+ avg miles per hour after the ride. Miami streets to homestead. some stretches are rough. I used the wheels always as my regular wheels. sent back to mavic for repairs. $425 for changing rim and spokes. this will give me 1 year warranty. wheels had no warranty bc i purchased them on ebay for $1000. the rear wheel alone is 635+tax. i am repairing the wheel and using it for training. Wheel set retails for 1200. it is better to buy them at retail at an authorized dealer. this will give you the 2 year warranty. I did not do this and now i am paying for it. if you want the wheel take into consideration this feature. i read around and found other buyers complain about the same after some months of use. i hope this helps

mavic aksium, shimano r500

[Sep 01, 2012]
Joel Lueck

OVERALL
Strength:

Super Sexy, Smooth, Aerodynamic, Stiff

"Heavy", only one valve extender included

I've been contemplating a serious set of wheels for years now, but have been relatively happy with my set of Neuvation M28 Aeros so I never felt the need to drop serious coin on a set of carbon clinchers. Plus, I've got two things about me that have always scared me from deep section carbons: 1) I'm a clydesdale (225 lbs) and 2) I'm not exactly a racehorse (17-18 mph average). I've read that deep section rims are only beneficial if you're riding 20+ mph. Having said all that, I finally gave in and bought this set. Here's my initial review after 50 miles.

Right out of the box, these wheels are super sexy. If I can't ride fast, at least my bike can look like it belongs to someone who can! With regard to my weight issue, I felt comfortable with the knowledge that these are actually aluminum rims with a carbon "faring" providing the deep section aerodynamics. I don't thing they lack strength in any respect and they are still super stiff. As for my prior belief that deep sections are only beneficial for faster riders, I now believe that to be erroneous. Granted, I've only got 50 miles on them, but I have noticed that riding at my normal speed (about 17mph), my average heart rate is about 8% lower. I purposefully tested them this way to, rather than simply seeing how much faster I was able to ride, in an effort to eliminate the psychological effect of riding on "faster wheels."

On the down side, while about the same weight as my previous wheels, these don't seem to be quite as "snappy". I suspect this comes from the fact that a large portion of the weight of this set is further from the axle. But, once up to speed, they maintain higher speeds much easier.

Finally, these are extremely difficult to find for less than the $1200 MSRP. However, I got them from gottaridebikes.com and was able to use a 20% discount code for first time customers ... $979 including shipping. Also, be prepared with 80mm valve tubes (for some reason only one valve extender is included)

[Jul 23, 2012]
charlitin

OVERALL
Strength:

strong wheels, many deep pot holes that would put many wheels out of true and these are true. amazing and i am 220 lbs rider!
absorb the road imperfections very nicely. could feel the difference from my mavic's akysium and shimano wh500.

price is stiff...1000 dollars for a set is decent money but after you roll them they are tottaly worth it.

you want a nice set of durable strong fast good wheels? go for it. i have ridden them and abused them for every day training and riding and they are solid performers , no complaints untill now after 3000-4000 miles.

[Jul 10, 2012]
Freeagent35

OVERALL
Strength:

Very durable. Fast at speed. Smooth bearings. No flex (rigid) yet comfortable. Stay true.

A bit heavy. Wary of hanging by wheel (I use a wall leaning bike rack to hang bike by frame instead)

I wanted these for the longest time. Finally bit the bullet and bought a pair off of Ebay in 2009. I have two seasons on our terrible Central Illinois roads. There are lighter wheels out there but few that are as good all around for rolling terrain. I prefer the metal brake surfaces over more fragile carbon. I am 175 lbs and a former BMX'er so I tend to crank fairly hard wattage. I have hit numerous potholes (not by design) and they have never had an issue. I have trued them once in 3k miles. I do recommend pulling apart the rear hub and lubing the pawls (with Phil's Tenacious Oil) as well as the cones front and rear with a high quality teflon lube. Other than that they are pretty much maintenance free. TIP: Use 80mm tubes. I use Continental Race and they have held up very well. They do not come with rim tape so make sure to get the right size to avoid pinch flats. Also, they are a bit tight so pre-stretch your tires. I have used Grand Prix 4 Season and am sold. If you want a wheel you can train and race on, these are it. By the way, Texas Cycle Sport has them for $899, a real steel.

[May 21, 2012]
Brandon55

OVERALL
Strength:

These wheels are really stiff. They roll fast on the flats when at top speed.

Lack of strength in the rim where the spoke enters.

When riding the wed. night world championship. I decided to attack on a gradual up hill climb. I put the hammer down and when I did it cracked the rim and pulled the spoke right through. Needless to say the wheel is ruined for good. The wheels may be stiff and true, but that doesn't matter when they brake.

[Feb 05, 2012]
Dargo200

OVERALL
Strength:

stiff, roll really well & drop dead sexy

getting the pump nozzle on to the tube stem can be a little tricky (60mm tube stem)

Mavic don't make anything badly. These wheels are stiff, roll really well and where straight & true as a laser when I got them. At just 1610g a set they are reasonably light for a carbon wheelset and they look dead sexy. My only gripe was that I didn't get the hub spacer required to fit my shimano cassette properly (I managed to scavenge the one from my old wheelset) but I don't think that was Mavic's fault I think the store was more to blame.

These wheels added another 2kph to my average speed on my usual rides.

Dt Swiss R1800, Mavic Aksium race