Mavic Cosmos wheelsets - clincher

• SUP seam welded black or blue anodised, double eyelets and UB Control braking surfaces
  • M9 compatible
  • Adjustable, replaceable sealed QRM cartridge bearings
  • Stainless steel straight pull spokes with anti rotation system front and rear. Brass nipples.
  • 24 spokes front / 28 rear.
  • Radial front lacing, crossed three rear lacing.
  • For 19 to 23 mm clinchers.
  • Tyre Presssure from 7 bars to 9,5bars (100 psi to 140 psi)

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 02, 2020]
    shwndh

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong light and dead reliable. Same rim as the open pro with fewer spokes. Had these wheels for 18 years with little to no maintenance needed.

Discontinued and hard to find parts

Purchased:
    New
    Model Year:
    2002
    [Mar 21, 2010]
    crdonn

OVERALL
    Strength:

Bombproof

not the lightest

I have an old cosmos that has been passed down through about every cyclist I know. I weigh in at about 240 Lbs and I have never had a problem with this wheel. I have ridden it for 3 years with two Western New York winters and they still spin forever. I know that my girlfriend rode them for 4 years before me and her ex for a few years before that. My best guess is that these wheels have 40-45K miles on them. I wish Mavic still made wheels like they used to!

Neuvation M23 Aero, Bontrager Classics, Mavic Classics Elite, Bontrager Race Lite Aero, Shimano's, Rol, basically everything...

[Aug 31, 2009]
    lucyfek

OVERALL
    Strength:

front wheel just keeps spinning, smooth, true - takes Illinois potholes (and my 185lb) with stride. and so is the rear. the only maintenance I did (after ~ 3000 - 4000 km) is adding few drops of oil into the freehub body (even cave man can service the thing, I used fork/shocks teflon oil 15wt) - rode my bike tonight enjoying the stealth/super quiet cruising, pure pleasure.

no wear marker on the braking surface
    not aero - this could be a plus in this windy part of the country

the price was right and the wheel did seem reliable - no fancy low spoke rims (just few less than standard 32, enough to lower the weight without affecting the strength), sealed bearings, welded, eyelets, Mavic - made in France

crossride, crossland on the mtb side, old wheels on my Cannondale R300 can't reallycompare - hate adjustable (cone) bearings (no matter what Shimano would claim)

[Jul 13, 2009]
    Mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

Dependable

rear is a hard ride for my 200 +/- size

Used to race, ride 5K per year Mass, NH, & Vt. These Cosmos clincher wheels came with Iron Horse Victory model bike '03. I'm either side of 200 lb., 6-2 with 15K on the front, trued once never broke a spoke. Bullet proof wheel, now own two Cosmos fronts. Rear has 5K on it, replaced one spoke, (hard to find in '04) Hard ride and use only for serious competitive rides for the stiffness. Prefer Elite Ksyrium rear as daily wheel. Don’t know why Mavic stopped making them.

Mavic Elite Ksyrium rear and Shimano three cross rear

[Jun 11, 2009]
    mosinglespeeder

OVERALL
    Strength:

reliable, bombproof design

heavy, less responsive

all things considered, a good overall wheelset. It isn't necessarily a standout in any given attribute, but a good performer, at a good price and reliable.

hand built open pro's, cosmic Pro's, zipp 101's

[Sep 04, 2008]
    Eric

OVERALL
    Strength:

Super light commuter, strong enough for an urban beating (although I must admit the payload is only around 150 lbs+bike).

Straight-pull spokes make truing difficult.

Picked these up for $100 on craigslist. I put them on my ancient 1971 fillet-brazed Schwinn Super Sport. Lightened it up to below 30 lbs, with kickstand, brooks and saddle bag etc. and they are pretty nice and fast. Running 32mm Conti Contacts, the ride is very smooth and I can drop off the occasional curb if I need to. They take a beating, but I'm worried I won't be able to true them up because the straight-pull spokes spin on the hub slots, but so far they're holding true.

Mavic Aksium Race (hungarian built 20 spoke light, racey crap)

[Jun 17, 2008]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Mavic not expensive.

My Cosmos freehub broke when they have riden 13.000 km.

I have ride a Cosmos pair wheels from 2004. 13.000 km. They are not expensive wheels but not light.

[Apr 05, 2008]
    Brett

OVERALL
    Strength:

Overall strength and mechanical durability

Can't take even one year of commuting in Boston's winters!

This is my second set of Cosmos wheels on commuter bikes. They're amazing in how well they handle the rough roadways in Boston. I'm really frustrated, though, with how the spokes have come loose, apparently due to exposure to salted winter roads. Taking the tire, tube and rim strip off, I find that each spoke recess is wet and filled with what appears to be corroded metal - it is like mud.

[Feb 04, 2008]
    Brian

OVERALL
    Strength:

the blue ones look cool with the gp4000 red/blue tire
    controllable skids

they last too long and keep getting recycled

the first set i put on (price paid: beer) were 3rd maybe 4th hand. the front wheel is still with us. the rear wheel tacoed while sprinting; it locked the wheel in the chain stay and i skidded to a stop. the front is a little chunky and the braking surface is nearly through.

the second set i bought was for 50$ and the rear had been crashed. The front has the smoothest bearings, better than my dura ace track hub (in my opinion). over all: front is real nice and i would buy both f+r again.

aksium, hed alps, 105/cpx21, alex s*** wheels.

[Jan 05, 2008]
    Chuck

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strength and price.

Rear hub quality.

Bought these wheels based on the mavic reputation. The wheels are very strong but I lost patience with the rear hub. The rear hub would get very stiff from time to time and would be as hard to turn in the small ring as the big ring.