Neuvation Cycling M28 Standard wheelsets - clincher

Front wheel has 20 radial spokes and the rear has 24 spokes. Spokes are 14g stainless steel with brass nipples. Rims are 27mm deep V section aero rims with cnc'd sidewalls. Pair weighs 1775 grams. Skewers are not included. Cassette body is forged chromemoly and works with Shimano 8 or 9 speed cassettes(not included).

[May 23, 2010]
Jack Kegley

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, smooth rolling and I think the decals do look ok.

None so far but my first century will be coming up in a month. That will test how they work out.

Everything I have read said to upgrade wheels first. I have been riding my 05 Trek 1000 quite a bit doing duathlons and charity rides. I love the bike and have made some changes in equipment over the last year and finally got around to swapping out the wheels. I really didn't think wheels would make that much difference but my Neuvations shaved almost a full pound and ride exceptionally smooth. My stock Alex AT450's have been workhorse wheels but it was time to upgrade to something else. I bought the Neuvation M28 on ebay and have been very happy with them thus far.

Alex AT450 32 spoke.

[Oct 25, 2007]
mapryor

OVERALL
Strength:

Top notch customer service directly from John. Bullet-proof training wheels that stay true and LAST!

Too much "Neuvation" bling, but the stickers come right off.

Absolutely bullet-proof wheels. I started out at 260 pounds, and these wheels survived my training with them to get to 200 pounds. Only after 5 years of hard use did I start breaking spokes (2 over two weeks on the rear), but John Neugent took the old rear back and sold (cheap) a reconditioned rear, which has continued to serve me for the past year.

Rolf Vector Comp, Bontrager Race Lite.

[Sep 19, 2007]
TommyApplehead

OVERALL
Strength:

As true as I wished I could do it

none yet

I've got about 300 miles on them, and am very happy. They arrived quickly, were dead-true and have stayed that way. For the money, they are a real value.

Mavic CP-11, Mavic MA-3

[Apr 08, 2007]
64cmframe

OVERALL
Strength:

Look good, light weight, responsive customer service

Product quality and durability (rims, spokes, hubs) are questionable, especially for larger riders or rough roads

I am 6'5" 220 lbs. and have broken three R28 spokes, split one R28s and a replacement M28 rear wheels and replaced one faulty hub. These are not the wheelsets for larger riders or rough roads. They simply don't hold up over time and regular (non-abusive) use. I guess you get what you pay for...light is not necessarily durable. $300 (plus rebuild costs) down the drain. They definitely need a disclaimer for heavier riders.

Mavic Ksyrium SL

[Jul 18, 2006]
terbennett

OVERALL
Strength:

customer support, affordable, well-built, efficient, attractive-did I already mention customer support?)

These wheels are nice. They were given to me form a friend of mine who was given a Bianchi with these wheels on them. I sold my Ksyrium Elites and have been very happy so far. The wheels felt like the Forte Titans that I had on my old Trek aluminum. They even look like them. The previous owner had removed all of the stickers but they still had the Neuvation skewers on them. After going online, I discovered that these wheels were the M28 aero wheels. I contacted Mr. Neugent ( who returned my e-mail within ten minutes) and ordered new stickers for the wheels. They arrived the day after i ordered them!!! Now that is great service!!!!! According to the other reviews, good customer service is an everyday thing at Neuvation. These wheels are eqivalent to my old Ksyrium Elites, but at a fraction of the cost. Even more frightening is the fact that the Supergo brand KORSO and Performance brand FORTE TITAN are rebadged Neuvation M28 Aeros at an even lower cost. No wonder these wheel were so familiar to me!! In fact, the Performance bike shop's computer has Neuvation as the maker of these wheels. Personally, I'll stick with the Neuvation brand. The decals look better and John Neugent's customer service is second to none. Even bike shops (the one's that I've gone to)say good things about Neuvation wheels. They may weigh a little more than some aero wheels but I'm 200lbs and they work just fine for me.

Forte Titans, Mavic Elites, Alex DA22s

[Jul 04, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid build, holds true. Excellent value and first rate customer service. Good graphics, no fading or peeling. Braking surface appears longlasting. Holds up well with heavier riders (if you use some common sense and proper technique).

At this price, none. Not a race caliber wheel, but very good all arounder.

Excellent value and superb customer service are the hallmarks of these wheels. I use them for fast commuting on some often rough roads. On top of that, I weigh over 200 pounds, which is pretty tough on low spoke wheels. These wheels have held true. I did have one spoke on the front wheel fail. John, the owner, was super to deal with. He replaced the wheel within days at no charge. Since then the wheels have performed smoothly and reliably for over 4000 miles. The wheels take a little more time to spin up, but hold pace very well. They feel solid on downhills and they climb as well as one would expect for an 1800 gm wheelset.

Terrible bunch of Mavic's--where to start. Excellent Circuit Comps from Velomax (now Easton).

[May 23, 2005]
cycling

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight,Hubs,Noise level of rear hub(silent),look,trueness,costomer service.

Small breaking surface aera,and tire mounting.

I purchased theese as a training wheelset. I was like, WOW!!!!!What a wheelset. I opened them and was amazed already. The rear hub is silent!!!!Amazing.They look pretty damn good too. So i mounted them.....The braking surface is a tad smaller then my alex 330's but ill live w/it. And to put the tires on was, well, not as easy as most wheels. But besides that..They are very nice. And for the price,you cant beatem!And, when i put them on the bike i was amazed to find them perfectly true! NOw theres a good wheelset!I gave them a 4 beacuse there not MAVIC COSMIC CARBONES!!LOL

ALEX 330's

[Feb 10, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

price--you'll have to spend twice as much to get wheels that weigh in this range if you want a name brand that begins with M., fantastic tech service from the maker, John.

weight, about 1800g for the pair, sans rubber and cassette. but still a bit lighter than traditional wheels. so not really a weakness, per se, just a clarification

these wheels are the best kept secret in cycling! i've had no problems with them at all, only one has been trued once in 2 years, they're light-ish, and very strong. I ride on pretty bad rural roads sometimes and these hold up beautifully. And I'm no lightweight, tipping the scales at 185.

[Jan 01, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Even spoke tension Stiff yet smooth Durable Affordable Looks

Mounting tires can be difficult

I had a bad experience with some famous American made wheels that came stock on my new ti rig. After 800 miles, the rear wheel was ready to fall apart. The process for claiming it under warranty was lengthy, which left me without my new ride. I needed a second set of wheels, but the recent purchase of the bike emptied all but the lint in my pockets. Neuvation's ads boast that good wheels don't have to cost a lot of money, which grabbed my attention. I checked out their website, which is quite informative. All of their wheelsets are hand built and trued, stress relieved, and have Loc Tite on the spoke nipples to hold them snug. Rims are tested prior to building to eliminate the bad ones from production. They've performed as promised after putting 1,000 miles on them. The spoke tension is very even, and they hold their true quite well. The beefy 27mm rim cross section yields stiffness, yet they ride smoothly because of their outstanding hubs. They perform much like the pair of Mavic Cosmos on my other bike, yet cost half as much. They easily smoke paired spoke wheels in terms of lateral stiffness and durability. They're sharp looking, and the aero profile creates a sizzle. My only complaint so far is tires are more difficult to mount and remove as compared to the Cosmos. If you're in the market for a budget friendly wheelset that can withstand the daily abuse of rigorous training, look no further than the Neuvations.

Bontrager paired spoke Mavic Cosmos Mavic Open Pros Mavic CXP 21 Ritchey OCR

[Aug 27, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Pretty light for very little $$, super smooth no matter what you spend, nice looks, tough

None I can find. A review I saw elsewhere cited a very narrow braking surface for this wheel - I put on new brake pads when I mounted these and didn't have to use anything special, so go figure.

Needing a whole new bike but not being able to afford one right now, I looked for the absolute best, cheap upgrade I could find for the bike I have. I found the M28's on EBay, bought the sales spiel, and picked up a pair. I've been riding and racing for 27 years on many different bikes, and I have to say these wheels are a stone deal. Super smooth, amazingly true right out of the box, quiet, and so far, very tough. My bike was immediately faster and more responsive once I popped these on. I go 188-195 lbs (depending on how much beer I drank last week) and have hit some big holes on group rides - no problems, no loss of true. If you must have the latest in high-end wheels, you probably won't care about these wheels no matter what I say. For $150, there's no prestige to be gained here (they do look very nice, though). But, if you want to replace some low price-point boat anchors with a high performance wheel, this seems to be a great buy (I only say "seems" 'cause I've only had these for a month so far...). If I have anything happen to change my mind over the next year, I'll let y'all know....

Mavic, HED