Neuvation Cycling R 28 Aero wheelsets - clincher

At 1570 grams, these are great wheels for racing or any type of road riding. 5.0 mm stainless aero spokes, 27 mm deep V section rim. Comes with rim strips, skewers, and extra spokes.

[Nov 12, 2010]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Look great, light, cheap.

Rims crack at the spoke nipple after a couple years.

Initially I loved these wheels. I had purchased and ridden the M28 Aero wheels on a previous bike and they had performed well for two years. When I got a new bike, I spoke to Jim, the owner of Neuvation about purchasing another set. He said that the R28 Aero wheels would be good for me even though I weigh around 200 lbs. They were great for two and a half years and maybe 4000 miles.

However, they have developed cracks around almost all of the spoke nipples. My mechanic found one really bad one (like a chunk had come out of the rim) and upon further examination, I noticed cracks everywhere. I'm just glad the problem was found before complete failure.

I have had great experience with the customer service at Neuvation, but I just read their disclaimer about cracks in the rims on their website (under "FAQ"). If this is addressed on the website, it is probably a common issue.

So, I'm not sure what to do. I love the product and my past experiences, but I don't want to replace my wheels every two years, even if they are pretty cheap. Maybe my mistake was going to the R28's and M28's are the way to go.

Mavic, Bontrager

[Aug 01, 2010]
gregwoods2k

OVERALL
Strength:

Price.

Not very durable

I've had 2 sets of these wheels. The first sets rear wheel failed when one of the hub spoke holes sheared off. Neuvation was very responsive and sent me a replacement.
The second wheelset failed while I was riding RAGBRAI. The wheel started going out of true, thought I'd broken a spoke. I was only 10 miles from home so I kept riding. On completion of the ride, I found severe stress cracks on about 50% of the spoke holes. And one spoke had completely pulled out with a chunk of aluminum around it. These wheels had about 2000 miles on them.
I am a 180lb rider. So don't expect durability out of these things.

[Jul 13, 2010]

OVERALL
Strength:

hubs seemed to roll smooth, felt stiff to me, only had to have trued once

not durable, cracks around the spoke nipples, the bladed spokes really catch the side winds

Well initially i really liked these wheels, cheap, relatively light, looked really nice and overall I would have been very happy with them... except as others have experienced, i recently noticed cracks in the rear rim around several of the nipples after about 1.5 years of riding on them... probably somewhere around 6-7000 miles. I weigh 180 lbs so not a flyweight cyclist but not a clyde either.

alex something or other, dura ace 7850 c24 clinchers

[Jun 01, 2010]
lovehamr

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, light, strong. In that order with customer service trumping all.

Nothing for us.

I bought this set with a power tap from Neuvation about 2 years ago for my son who is a strong junior racer. He used them for training and racing for the first year and we had no problems at all through thousands of miles. At the start of this year the power tap threw a code that made the Saris people want to look at it. But all they wanted was the hub. So I wrote John who told me to send him the wheel and that he'd take care of it, which he did. The wheel that we got back has a new rim, new ceramic bearings in the hub and what looks like a brand new hub. So in essence it's a new power tap wheel. How much did I get charged for this you might ask? Zero, nada, zip, nothing. How's that for customer service?

Lots.

[Jan 07, 2010]
aaronis31337

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, strong, and light. Much better than my cheap forte wheel that will not only be used on the trainer. I didn't know what flex felt like because I'm spoiled from these wheels. The Forte flex's plenty...I had to keep looking down to see if my tires were flat

Noisy when they wear out. I think the newer model will work better for me.

After about 1 year and 200+ miles, these wheel started making A LOT of noise. After reading the reviews here I temporarily fixed it by putting tape in the non-drive side spokes. The problem came back and finally John Nugent replaced my wheel. I haven't tried the new one, but the service was top notch.

Mavic dura-ace / open sport. Forte Titans, alex cp-22, Ritchey WCS,

[Dec 07, 2009]
xeon

OVERALL
Strength:

- Quality Product
- Weight for a $300 set of wheels
- Customer service is excellent
- Stays true

Have not encountered anything that has had me wishing I had done something else, purchased another set of wheels or anything I could put down as a negative.

This review is for the 09 R28 Aero4 model wheels. Replaced the ALX wheels that came on my Fuji Roubaix Pro. I had truing issues with the ALX wheels in less than 600 miles... enter the Neuvation wheels.

I'm no seasoned cyclist, but the 1K miles I've put on the Neuvation wheels have been unremarkable, which IMO is a good thing. By that I mean the wheels have stayed true and I don't worry about spokes loosening, wheels wobbling into my brakes, etc.

They are lighter than the wheels I moved from, but I couldn't tell from the saddle... I also couldn't say if they are any stiffer, but my riding has improved since I moved to them. I'm sure it has more to do with me getting better/stronger than the wheels, but having better equipment allows me to do that without extra headaches.

ALX-200

[Dec 05, 2009]
at

OVERALL
Strength:

light and cheap

Flexy. Nipples are all pulling through cracks in the rim after two years.

[Nov 10, 2009]
tj90

OVERALL
Strength:

Great value with at least equivalent performance to the Mavic Elites. Its nice to have steel spokes (no more spoke to hub creaks with the Zircal spokes). Extra spokes come with wheel and easy to true and repair with standard wheel tools. Hub has nice finish, bearings roll nice.

Brake pad area is thin. Already rubbed decals with older campy brake width. I liked ksyrium width on brake pad width. It would be nice if they were built anywhere else but china/Taiwan, but look at the price. Hard to walk away from Mavic with their neutral support at local races, but I was ready to try something different.e

Just replaced my old, cracked Ksyrium SSC rear wheel with the 2009 R28 Aero4. Out of box true was excellent (5mil longtitude runout - 8mil is considered excellent by Park). I tweeked it to get 3 mil runout, but not necessary. Dish and tension were good as well. Easy to mount continenetal gatorskins and specialized pro tires. Weight was 942g without skewer (claimed 930). Smooth bearing and quiet freehub which Im not used to. Time will tell with durability.

numberous handbuilt wheels and ksyrium SSC. With so many negative reviews (hard to mount tires, cracks, bad bearings, Ive got to wonder if those are bogus - written by neuvation competitors. So far, I found that out of the box they are excellent. With my 200lb weight, time will tell if the rims crack.

[Jul 12, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling, speed, and ride performance. Looks.

Poor quality in all respects. In my opinion, cheap materials and components are used and the wheels are not adequately engineered and tested.

I put a set on both by wife's and my bikes and for the first 2k miles we thought they were great as they were responsive, fast, and we liked the handling,ride and looks. We are strong riders, but we are in the 55-60 age range and and 130-175 weight range.

Then after 2k miles the problems started with a sloppy free hub on my rear wheel which my local shop repaired after ordering some parts from Neuvation. The front wheel bearings were never smooth and become more gravelly over time. At 4k miles and 2 days into a 6 day tour my rear wheel began to wobble due to nipples pulling out of a cracked rim. I checked my wife's wheel and it was cracked as well. To complete the tour we had to buy one wheel and borrow another from the tour bike shop. Neuvation replaced the rims, but then my wife broke spokes on two occasions within a month. At 6k miles the hub flange broke on my rear wheel just one day before a 3 day tour. Close inspection of my wife's back rim revealed more cracks. We continued to run the front R28s, but soon noticed small cracks beginning in them as well. At this point, I had no confidence in continuing to try to use these wheels. The failures combined with rough bearings and 1/16" lateral slop in the rear wheel (that the local shop could not fix) all pointed toward a very poor quality wheel set.

Mavic Equip & Aksium Race
Easton EA90SL

[May 09, 2009]
CumminsJP

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, rides great. if you can get a set that doesn't crack...it would be a great deal. Obviously, I was initially impressed because i bought 2 sets.

have to replace or repair at 6-12 months. if you factor in the additional cost and the time without a wheel...not as good of a deal.

I've cracked by second wheel neuvation R28 wheel...i've got one more left to crack. I loved these wheels until they rims cracked. The first one cracked after 6 months (racing) and the second one cracked after a year(no racing on these...just training) Neuvation did send out a new rim, but I still had to pay to have the wheel re-built. So far, so good.

xero, spinergy, shimano, mavic wheels