Neuvation Cycling R 28 SL wheelsets - clincher

These 1470 gram wheels make great climbing or racing wheels. Triple butted spokes are 2.3 mm at the bend and 1.7 mm in the middle. The 27 mm deep V rim section is strong and aerodynamic. Comes with rim strips, skewers, and extra spokes.

[Aug 17, 2016]
Clay Spencer

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong, durable, bearings spin ultra smooth

I have had this wheelset on my road bike for many years now. They have proven to be an ultra-reliable, lightweight, high-performance wheelset. I have not ridden on many greater than entry level wheelsets, but I would hazard to say that you would have to spend well over $1000 to find an equivalent level of weight and performance. I originally started with R28 SL3s and then when a minivan drove over my front wheel I immediately ordered a new R28 SL5. I try not to abuse my wheels on curbs or potholes and I only have to get them trued every couple of years (mostly the rear). I would not hesitate to order another wheelset from John Nugent.

Alex rims, shimano hubs

[Apr 16, 2013]
CJ

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight and strong. Excellent customer service.

So far none.

Very smooth bearings. Arrived straight, and only needed a few 1/4 turns to keep them that way for 18 months. I'm 190 pounds and they seem plenty tough for how light they are.

[Mar 25, 2013]
Sighclone

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, solid, true

Front wheel catches wind

Switched off the Mavic Aksiums on my Scott CR-1 Team, put on Conti GP4000S skins: WOW. At least 10%, maybe 15% faster everywhere. Cannot beat the price at John's website...mine are 2013 models, btw. I wan't fully prepared for sidewind effect on the front, but if you are ready, it's not a big deal. I'm not a racer, just a fast recreational rider, so aero spokes might help.

[Dec 27, 2012]
Jeff

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, responsive, track beautifully and roll like they are on frictionless bearings.

I have about 500 miles on these wheels, which I bought to replace a set of Reynolds Allez that had simply worn out after 6 years of great riding. The Neuvations are about 10% lighter than the Reynolds, but show no loss of tracking on the downhills or in the wind. Very responsive when climbing or accelerating. Most fun thing is that I am pretty light, but these babies have me rolling past much heavier riders on the long downhills. Using standard spokes (and getting extras thrown into the box) will be a plus if I ever pop one.

[Aug 04, 2012]
John O

OVERALL
Strength:

What else the price! nice looking wheels,light, easily moved up 2 mph faster! The 2013 model must be an improvement, im over 200 lbs, no flex no noise on hills smoothe as silk bearings,good to go!

Nothing as of yet, a little stiff but Mavic aksium cant compare to these wheels or any other for the price.

2013 is the way to go with this wheel set!

[Jun 12, 2012]
JW

OVERALL
Strength:

Price. Value. Weight. Durability.

Not as aero as some very expensive carbon wheels. I can't think of any other weaknesses.

I put almost 6k miles on them last year, and I'm well past that mark that now. They're still true. I only weigh 155 and am not real tough on equipment. Still, these have aged much better than all my other wheels (mavic sup/chorus, crummy mavic cosmic equipe, surprising Titans, etc.). My wheelset weighs about 1540 g. Zero maintenance to-date. No creaks. Good braking track. I recommend these to my friends, and see a lot of them around. I'll buy these again.

[Jan 10, 2012]
Kent Blevins

OVERALL
Strength:

Very smooth and light weight. Climb like no other wheel i have tried.

None at all.

I have used Neuvations for 2 years now. I can't find a wheel out there that is as smooth and fast as these wheels. I just got a pair of mavic cosmic and the neuvations are lighter in weight. Amazing wheel!!!

Mavic pro.

[Sep 10, 2011]
Muscahead2

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, light, snappy, semi aero, no flex, look cool, customer service

needs tightening from the factory

put simply: $800 wheels for $300

A- Class something or other (mediocre) Mavic CXP 22 (Crap)

[Mar 05, 2011]
FrenchFit

OVERALL
Strength:

Lighter, stiffer, and much better hubs than stock wheelset; modern profile.

Other than the model decals that most will take off, haven't found any gripes.

So the reviewer below is disappointed the rear needs rebulding for $65 after 6000K; by my calculation that's 60 metric centuries on that rear, correct? Seems to me for a low cost, light weight, fast spinning wheel that's a deal I'd take all day long.

I've had these less than a year, but very pleased. Maybe it's not a true race wheelset, doesn't have a 10 year life expectancy, but they're fast, light, stiff, responsive for me...and I won't mind a rebuild when the time comes. And, they run amazingly true and are aero.

Mavics, Velocity, Suntour Supremes, Wolbers

[Jan 21, 2011]
lovehamr

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable with reasonable weight to cost.

Can't really think of any that wouldn't apply to any wheel set.

My CAT2 son is the one who actually rides these. I'm just the wallet and wrench. LOL We first bought these because the price to weight ratio was what we could afford. He trained and raced for the first full year on these wheels with a powertap. At the end of the first year the PT had to go back to Saris for service and the rim needed more than I could give it in terms of truing but it was still very ridable. I emailed Neuvation and they said that they'd take a look at the rim and send the PT to Saris for us then rebuild the wheel and send it back. So I sent the thing out and they did exactly what they said that they would. What we got back was a brand new wheel which has lasted another year of training and racing. Though this wheel set isn't the only set that he has now, it is his primary set because of the powertap. It's worth pointing out that all I paid for in this deal was the shipping to Neuvation.

Ksyrium SL