Neuvation Cycling R28 SL5 wheelsets - clincher

Clincher wheelset

[Dec 28, 2010]
82zman

OVERALL
Strength:

Value

none found yet

I am using a SL6 rear with a SL5 front that I purchased together from Neuvation last February. Last year I traveled the country putting these these wheels through just about every condition you can think of. Rough roads, short but very steep > 20% climbs and descents, long climbs and long descents. Absolutely no issues found with the exception of maybe needing a very minor front wheel true. A caveat may be that I have a climbers type build at 5'7" and 130 lbs but these wheels really do it all for me

Bontrager

[Sep 16, 2010]
wamcneil

OVERALL
Strength:

Price- Anything else in this price class will be heavy, poorly built and have straight-gauge spokes.
Quality- good components, well built.
Value- you've got to spend 3x the cost of these wheels to get comparable wheels from the big-name players.
Selection- neuvation sells their wheels separately, so if you need just one or you can pick and choose front and rear wheels if you have special needs.

None that I have found. Some folks don't like the stickers, but I don't mind them.

This review is for R28XSLF with 2-1.5-2mm spokes, I guess this replaced R28 SL5?
I just got the front wheel because some idiot left my old front wheel leaned up against the side of the car and drove off without it...
I'm very impressed. The wheels arrived straight/true with very even spoke tension; at least as well built as I could do myself (I've built my fair share of wheels).
After about 500 miles of daily commute, they are just as straight and even tensioned as new.
I kind of enjoy building my own wheels, but when you can buy wheels this nice at the neuvation price, it's hard to justify the work and expense.

Mavic, Easton, Alex,

[Mar 04, 2010]
cslayton

OVERALL
Strength:

Virtually eveything about them, not just the great price.
Spare spokes with every set

Nobody likes the decals, inc me, but I leave at least one on each side because they have treated me right! Get away from the Chinese Silver/Chrome look, John!
Machined groove braking surface is a beeyatch to clean.
Hard to get some tires on, so what? That is true on neary every review of every wheel except the Hed C2s.

Over 2000 miles on my SL5, I am guessing at the price, I bought a front SL5 on sale. I have been using SL3s all around for years, and still use them.
Can only add to the enconiums (enconiae?) below, John Neugent is a great merchant and wheelman.
I bought the ceramic upgrade a little late in the game, and John cut me a deal since I have bought more than a couple of wheelsets from him. One rear ceramic got a bit rusty feeling after a couple of thousand miles, and John sent a set of replacements, explaining that they had not come up to snuff and he was no longer selling them.
The seams are good, the spokes are good, the wheels stay true, and I am a road commuter, hitting ledges and potholes, etc.
This product suffers from the "too cheap to be good" label that dogged Bell for years, but I now ride a Bell Helmet (as do several continental and Pro teams) and the emphasis on low price should not detract from the high quality control, way above anything I have seen from Mavic.

Variety of wheels from 2000 t0 2005, bought bike with ALEX OEMs, went to Neuvation Aero M28s (2005) and never looked back.

[Sep 15, 2009]
adamwb1

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, laterally stiff, vertically compliant, handles cross winds great, spin great and I would say the absolute best wheelset for the money that I have ridden to date.

They are not as cool looking as other wheelsets. I think my Ksyrium ES wheels held true a little better. The spokes on new wheelsets do most of their stretching during the first 400 miles or so and the Neuvation's seem to be stabilizing now.

I waited to get some miles and do a couple races on this wheelset before I did a review. I was impressed by the out of box quality in general and appreciated the fact that they came with rim strips, six extra spokes and nipples. The claimed weight is very accurate. My wheelset weighed in at 1520 grams with rim strips so the 1490 gram claimed weight without seems very accurate. My Mavic Ksyrium ES wheelset actual weight was 1530 grams with their spacer that you have to use on their freehub. Mavic claimed 1485 grams. These actual weight recordings were done on a scale that is acurate to within one gram and without skewers. I didn't use either brands skewers so I didn't take that into consideration but the Mavic's skewers are lighter. The lateral stiffness and ride quality is comparable. I actually think the Neuvation wheels with stock bearings spin as good if not better than the Mavic's with Enduro hybrid ceramic bearings. I've used wheelsets that have cost more money and have been worse in overall performance and ride quality. I like the fact that I don't have to be afraid of destroying these and that I'm not out a bunch of money if I do.

Mavic Ksyrium ES and other less expensive Mavic's, Blackwell Research full carbon clincher, Easton EC90 full carbon tubular, FSA RD600, Bontrager, Shimano, Wolber, Alex, others?

[Jul 15, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap, light, fast, durable, GREAT SERVICE!

Not a fan of the labels but they're easy enough to remove.

Got these wheels with the ceramic upgrades Fall 2008 and have put well over 1000 miles on them. I weigh 185 and rode them through some rough Winter/Spring conditions. They're still true, solid, light and fast. I did have a bearing issue but their service is superb and I had new bearings sent within hours of my email. The price, product, and service are unbelievable. I can't think of any reason I would buy wheels from anyone else (unless I was brand snob).

Shimano R550, Ksyrium Elite

[Apr 27, 2009]
jim

OVERALL
Strength:

Bang for the buck.

Decals. Mounting tires is difficult

An extremely noticeable performance advantage over the Ksyrium Elites they replaced. Lighter, stiffer and - most importantly - more responsive. Spoke tension and rim trueness was nearly perfect out of the box. Decals are just plain ugly, but removal only took about a half hour or so. Mounting the tires was difficult, which makes me a little worried about fixing a flat on the road. Too soon to determine overall durability/reliability. The purchase price reflects the optional protection plan.

Mavic Ksyrium Elites and lots of other Mavic rim/Shimano hub combinations

[Dec 05, 2008]
JACK

OVERALL
Strength:

AWESOME QUALITY
AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE

I PERSONALLY DONT LIKE THE DECALS

LIKE EVERYONE SAYS THEY ARE AWESOME.
I PAID 279.00 AND THEY WERE DEAD ON AT 1470 GRAMS FOR THE PAIR!!!! WHERE CAN YOU GET THAT??? IVE HAD A COUPLE OF KYSRIUMS AND REAL DESIGN SUPERSONIC 40'S AND HAVE SOLD THEM ALL TO STICK WITH THESE.. THAT GUY JOHN IS AN ABSOLUTE BLESSING TO THE CYCLING INDUSTRY,I ALSO E-MAILED HIM ABOUT 3 TIMES BEFORE BUYING AND HE ALWAYS REPLIED IN A TIMELY MANNER AND PROFESSIONAL OPINION...

KYSIRIUMS,REAL DESIGN.EASTONS

[Oct 29, 2008]
rkoch

OVERALL
Strength:

light, fast, cheap, fast, cheap, light, not Mavic, not loved by [email protected]

rim seams are always not perfect...but they're good. Never notice it when riding or braking.

First off, you don't need to automatically upgrade to ceramic bearings...especially up front. I've had 3 nuevation wheelsets and all had perfect rolling stock bearings. I've upgraded 2 of the 3 rear wheels to ceramic and you won't notice any difference when riding. About the SL5s: they are light--mine were 20 grams under claimed weight--strong, and plenty aero. For road racing, no need to get any more aero than these. I've recently inspected $950.00 made-in-america wheels and was amazed at how well neuvation wheels hold up in initial quality. Similar rim seam quality, neuvation bearings won out, neuvation spokes won out, and neuvation weight was on. The other brand was 30 grams heavier. For a $950.00 aluminum clincher, the quality should be perfect!!! Back to neuvation, they make a good, inexpensive wheel backed by good customer service.

Shimano R540, Neuvation M Aero 2, Neuvation R Aero 3.

[Sep 25, 2008]
runner0382

OVERALL
Strength:

- weight
- value

- too many stickers to remove

These wheels are everything people said they'd be. They are absolutely unbeatable for the price. They spin up nicely and have a great ride. I'm only 155lbs so can't comment too much on stiffness but rode in the hills recently and noticed the weight difference vs. my old Ultegra/Open Pro's. The old adage, "Price, quality, or service" does NOT apply here! You get all three :)

- Ksyrium's, Open Pro's, Bontrager Race X Lite's

[Sep 16, 2008]
xee

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight
Value
Customer Service

Rim diameter. hard to install tires. Tried several brands of kevlar bead, clincher tires.

Purchased a set of Neuvation Cycling R28 SL5 clincher road wheels after reading reviews and comparing to Mavic Ksyrium and Shimano Dura Ace. You can spend more money and you can get better wheels, but you probably can't get better wheels for the price. Well constructed, hand tuned and exactly as advertised by Neuvation. I purchased the ceramic hybrid bearing upgrade kit and wheel protection plan.
I wrote John Neugent at Neuvation before purchasing the wheels and received a quick, clear, concise, email answering my concerns and his professional opinion about my other wheel choices. Their reputation for outstanding customer service sealed the deal.
The wheels are light weight, precisely trued (checked on Park truing stand b4 riding) and well built. I had a "frozen bearing" on the front wheel and John informed me to "tap on the axle with a rubber mallet" and that should free the bearings, it did and tested fine on the first ride. I then put the wheels to test on a "hill interval" training ride and was impressed. Felt light with excellent acceleration, smooth rolling, good angular turning response. Very satisfied so far.

Mavic Ksyrium (several models)
Mavic Open Pro