Reynolds Assault wheelsets - clincher

Reynolds Assault C Clincher Wheelset(0x983d9980)

[Jul 18, 2019]
Hunyak

OVERALL
Strength:

They look good and ride very well.

These "Tubeless Ready" clincher wheels make it impossible to change a flat on a ride. You can not get a tire back onto the rim without extra large tire levers and a long handled screwdriver. For the first time in over 25 years of serious cycling I needed a ride home because I could not get the tire on the rim after a flat.

Price Paid:
2018
[Oct 25, 2014]
jose

OVERALL
Strength:

super great wheelset

super strong wheelset

super wheelsset

[Aug 14, 2011]
Steve

OVERALL
Strength:

-Fairly light
-Good overall ride quality

-Breaking performance
-Hubs mediocre

I have been using these as my everyday wheel and have been fairly happy with them overall....until today. During a decent from a CAT1 climb, I had to hit the breaks pretty hard going into a corner and the rear rim catastrophically failed blowing the rear tube apart at close to 40mph. The rim delaminated from the heat and I was not riding the brakes, just a quick hard break going into the corner. Luckily I did not lose the tire and hit the deck. Had to hike down with the bike on my back since it was so destroyed. If your on flats and small rollers the wheel should be fine. If you spend time in the mountains look elsewhere....regardless of all the claims of such issues being resolved in full carbon clinchers.

Zipp 404, Dura-Ace 7850

[Jun 27, 2011]
iploya

OVERALL
Strength:

Great value in terms of looks, weight, overall quality, and performance.

2011 graphics are hideous; but decals are easily removed.

Redesigned for 2011. Out of the box, the 2011 graphics were awful, but the decals were easily removed using my fingernails, with no cleaning products.
The blue brake pads (supplied) were easy to install and have NO squeaking or noise issues; they are quiet. The carbon braking surface does respond differently than aluminum braking surfaces, but after a good break-in period they now stop well.
I am nearly 180 lbs and 5’10-1/2”. The wheels have performed well under the sprinting and descents at up to 50mph (See http://connect.garmin.com/activity/95149876). I cannot quantify how stiff they are, but I have not noticed any brake pad rubbing under torque like I have sometimes experienced with other wheels. The wheels are exceedingly round and true out of the box, and remain so after a few to several hundred miles.
On my recent hill test, I braked hard and long on repeated descents and checked the rim temperature at the bottom. They were slightly warm to the touch, but not hot. I am not sure how they would do in a 20-mile mountain descent because I do not have any of that terrain near me. I wanted to mention that, because there were some complaints of thermal damage on the previous model years (2010 and earlier); the 2011 wheels have been redesigned for improved thermal resistance, including the blue brake pads and treated scrim braking surface.
The wheels were pretty light – somewhere in the low 1500s. Light for carbon clinchers at this price point. I have owned some fancier custom wheels, but I have no complaint about the stock Asian hubs and round spokes on the Assaults.

IRD Cadence (aero and regular); custom wheels (Sapim spokes, CK hubs, etc.); Ksyrium ES and SL clinchers; SRAM S80

[Mar 06, 2011]
rock31

OVERALL
Strength:

very light great control low rolling resistant exelent on the clime

noise on the break

this are without any doubt the best set of wheel i have had and this is my four pair. very light very fast very good on the corner. yes a little noise when you hit the break but the feel is great and very low rolling resistant. clime bear mounting has never bin so mush fun. hold speed of 45 on a down hill for the first time is great, mid twenty on flat road with easy. yes is you have the money this are the wheel for you

easton ec90 mavick cosmic

[Apr 03, 2010]
Pedalon

OVERALL
Strength:

Speed
Price
Braking

Absolutely none

I pulled the trigger on these wheels about a month ago and am dissappointed that I did not buy them sooner. They are very fast roll smooth and even at speeds over 40mph I feel very confident. I read and read reviews on these and many other wheelsets but overall for the money I came to the conclusion that these were the best wheels on the market. I like the quality and warranty and the additionl $200.00 insurance was a no brainer being a training/racing wheel. Weight is 1518g according to my scale. If you are on the fence I think you will be vey happy with the quality and ride along with how much you saved vs similar spec'd wheelsets. As far as braking I have had absolutely no problems even with high speed flats or downhill rides. As far as I can tell they stop as well as well as any other wheelset I have used but I did get the swisstops due to some of the reviews about the reynolds pads.

Mavic's,HED,ZIPP,LEO,Dura ACE 7850

[Feb 27, 2010]
Jacek Gajewski

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, fast and remarkably resiliant to all the pot-holes around Brisbane streets. Look pretty good too. Very little noise when braking, especially compared to most other aero wheels.

Could have had flat spokes for that amount of money.

Purcahsed the wheel-set knowing full well I would use the wheels for both training and racing. In fact, ever since the wheels have been put on my bike (Trek 1500) they have not come off. Love them.

Previous wheel-set were the standard Bonties on the Trek. Can't compate.

[Feb 07, 2010]

OVERALL
Strength:

Spin up fast. Looks.

These rims will melt in steep descents...period. Twitchy in crosswinds. Squeal horribly no matter what pads you use (Yes, even the yellow Swisstops!).

Dura Ace
Fulcrum Racing Light

[Feb 07, 2010]
Exman

OVERALL
Strength:

Spin up fast. Looks.

These rims will melt in steep descents...period. Also twitchy in crosswinds. Shriek horribly no matter what pads you use (Yes, even the yellow Swisstops!).

Dura Ace
Fulcrum Racing Light

[Aug 30, 2009]
mnewber

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, spin up easily, hold speed with less effort than others, good dampening, not overly stiff, can handle a wide range of PSI in the tires, SEXY!

Stock pads from reynolds are NOISY!

I was actually looking to replace a set of Zipp 404's I sold about a year ago but at the price point used 404's are going for I started looking for other options.
These wheels were to take over for my Mavic Ksryium - SL's on the flats.
I had previously looked at the DV46's but didn't want to fork out that much $$$ and ran across these. My biggest concern is the weight restrictions and was a little hesitant as i weigh in around the 200lb range currently but after reading the reviews here and some other write ups/reviews on other sites and decided to take the plunge.
They spin up and seem to hold speed well even for a lower quality hub. Offer a fair amount of road dampening esp compared to the Mavics and the combinations of my frame and these wheels offers a very plesant yet fast ride.
The original black reynolds pads were very noisy once warm and drove me crazy. I went to the Swiss Stop Yellow Carbon King pads and they are significantly quieter plus i got a new set of brakes! ;) They still can squeal at times but i think it's a matter of keeping the pads in proper alignment and also clean.
Braking performance is very good for a carbon brake rim and i can haul these down as rapid as I need to with out concerns.
Cross winds do affect these but not to a large degree and it's to be expected, i wouldn't consider this a weakness just a matter of physics with a large profile rim.
I originally intended these to just be used on the flats but have been riding them on all my rides so far without hesitation as the seem to perform well in all situations.
For the price you can buy a new set of these for what a used set of Zipps go for!

Zipp 404, Zipp 303, Easton Tempest II, American Classic 420...