ROL Wheels D`Huez wheelsets - clincher

The D'Huez is a result of our best thinking: at the wheel-building bench, the computer design screen and on long late winter rides. From the hubs' internal parts out to the rim's farthest point, we put everything we had into this wheel, among our most popular new designs.

The D'Huez is named for the legendary Alpine climb that's featured in so many Tour de France battles. Our lively 1,430 gram hoops live up to the history and will climb alongside wheels costing many times more.

• 24mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

[Jan 08, 2018]
Eddie Avedikian

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, durable and excellent customer support.

I have owned a pair of the D'huez, 20/24, wheels since 2010 and have accumulated just over 44,000 miles. As of today, I am still riding on the same pair of wheels. What is more impressive is that I have never had to replace the bearings. They are still as smooth as the day I bought them. There is not the least bit of axial or radial play! During the first year I punctured the rear tire with only two miles remaining in a race. I was in the lead group and did not want to quit. There were two cattle guards in the last mile. I crossed both of them on a flatted rear tire. I thought for certain the rear rim was bent or out of alignment. To my surprise the rim was still true! No spoke adjustment was necessary. Last month, while on a long ride, I ran over a large twig that flipped up and jammed into rear spokes. The rotation of the wheel carried the twig and jammed into the derailleur. I could not stop in time and the derailleur got sucked up into the spokes and broke. In the process the derailleur hanger broke off the frame. The chain was jammed in between the spokes and the cassette. The rear wheel locked up and blew out the tire. After removing the chain I could see that all the spokes had deep gouges from the chain. I used my chain breaker to cut the chain down to make my bike a single speed. I rode 53 miles back to the house and replaced the chain, hanger and derailleur. To my surprise the wheel was not out of alignment. Since then I have ridden over 400 miles and the wheel is still running flawlessly. One has to stop and think about how much force is placed on a wheel and its spokes in order to rip a dropout hanger off a frame and sill stay in alignment! If this is not a testament to a well-built wheel I have no idea what is!

Campagnolo Eurus G3 Wheels
Campagnolo Nutron Wheels

[Dec 20, 2017]
James S

OVERALL
Strength:

light
stiff
value

none identified

In total I have purchased three Rol wheelsets dating back to 2010 after having met Sean a few years prior at a Denver crit race. I've owned two D'Huez wheelsets (1 sold with a past bike) and the Race SL wheelset (also sold on a bike). I have been extremely pleased with the quality of Rol wheels right out of the box. I am currently riding the D'Huez wheelset which I purchased after selling the stock Mavic Kysrium wheels on my bike. One of the driving reasons for the purchase was the peace of mind of superior service after the sale which Sean and Rol are known for and supporting a SBO. It also helps out that Rol provides neutral wheel support for racers here in Colorado. Fortunately I've had no issues with this wheelset as it has performed flawlessly. I highly recommend Rol wheels if you are seeking a high quality wheelset and superior customer service.

[Jun 11, 2017]
Fletcher Burrus

OVERALL
Strength:

Wow just an incrdible wheel set ! wow ! the beat wheel set for the money 1 in the World ! My 24-28s ate so incredibly light ; and so responsive ! Sean Lambert and whole team @Rol are the finest wheel company for value ;quality and customer service ! In the World -bar none 1 See for yourself 1 just fantastic wheels for all levels and diciplines !

No weakness es ! none ! what so ever ! just super strong -durable and so lite !

The best wheels for the money ! any-where ! and incredible ; fantastic customer -service with every set ! Rol has set a new standard ! for racers ; recreational and every riider ! Amazing wheels and the best people ! get on a set !! today ! Fletcher

[Jun 07, 2017]
Todd

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and responsive

None so far

Replaced the Ultegra Wheels that came on my Colnago. Initial thoughts after two rides (30 miles rolling hills, flats and one big hill) and a 20-mile ride (flat). I am 5'9 200 pounds so going up big steep hills is still going up big hills by a fat guy. So not a ton of difference there....there was some and over a longer period of time on some big hills, I think the difference would be greater. HOWEVER, these wheels made a HUGE DIFFERENCE on the rollers and small hills. They wanted to spin and spin and spin....they outperformed me and wanted to go faster than I was able to take them. Serious difference in the ability to get up and over the rollers without losing speed or having to sprint to keep the speed up. So much so that I posted a personal best on my 30-mile ride. These wheels just want to go fast. Seem very light and well-made( no flex, squeeks or pings). Looking forward to spending more time on them this summer and will update. So far so good.

[Mar 11, 2017]
Mike O'Bryan

OVERALL
Strength:

The D’huez wheels are durable, lightweight, serviceable and don’t break the bank. After 500 hundred miles on the new wheelset I am very happy with the product, especially with the ease of acceleration when attacking and bridging. The wheels also handle well in cross winds which is important for me as a lighter rider in the pack. The 23mm tire on the front feels so good I’m planning to go 23mm on the back when the 25mm wears out. I have also noticed a bunch of other riders using Rolwheels around Washington, DC. Another benefit, I am killing it on Strava when on the D'huez wheels.

Only one color option.

I needed a replacement wheelset. I identified the replacement wheel hardware to replace one of my end-of-life wheelsets and was going to employ my local bike shop to build up the new wheelset. Just before pulling the trigger with the LBS, I found the D'huez specs, which were almost identical to mine. I took a chance with the Rolwheel D'huez. The D’huez arrived well packaged in just over a week. The build and hardware quality has exceeded my expectations. I wanted light and stiff. They delivered, and with the comfortably wide rim bed I can run narrower tires that feel 2mm wider.

My typical wheelset has been Mavic OpenPro with DT Swiss 14/15, 3-cross, alloy nipples, on many top shelf 32 hole hubs.

[Sep 29, 2016]
Luke

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, light, fast and wonderful ride quality.

No apparent weaknesses.

Recently purchased D'Huez 24X28 as an upgrade from OEM Fulcrum wheels on Specialized Roubaix. OEM were harsh, loud and not particularly stable at high speeds. I chose the D'Huez based upon the reviews I've read and after speaking with Sean at Rol Wheelworks. I have approximately 100 miles on them and they are everything I was hoping for: light, strong, quiet and a supple road-feel. I've always enjoyed climbing and find these wheels make the most of any effort put into the hills. The combination of wheels and 24mm S-Works tires creates an amazing ride quality. Most of my rides are on chip and seal rural roads and the roughness now seems to disappear at 100psi. Cornering at speed has improved tremendously and I've improved my speed on rides from .5 to 1.3mph. All-in-all, a very significant upgrade that has brought out the best in a very good bike at a reasonable price.

Rolf Pro Vector, Bontrager Race Lite

[Jan 01, 2016]
Brabdon

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast, reliable, durable, great price, never have had to true wheels since purchasing them.

Honestly can't think of one weakness.

I am not a believer in many companies, but Rol wheels are light, reliable, and they stay true no matter what you roll over. I am such a fan of this wheel I will be purchasing there mtb 29er rims soon. Good luck finding a bad review on the D'huez.

[Aug 21, 2015]
Louis Feiten

OVERALL
Strength:

This review is for the newest wide D'Huez model. Grest Value!! Best customer service.Stiff, strong, wide rim. My 24/28 D'Huez set was 1474 grams out if the box. Nice clean look. Goes with any color bike.Xlnt climbing , descending, paceline.

None.!!

This review is for the newest wide D'Huez model. Grest Value!! Stiff, strong, wide rim. My 24/28 D'Huez set was 1474 grams out if the box. Nice clean look. Goes with any color bike.

Simply the best customer service by ANY company!! Never had a failure. Super reliable with spokes you can easily replace. I had spokes fail on my Ksyrium SL set and my Ksyrium Elite. Support did not have the Mavic spokes.

I have owned Ksyrium Elites and SL, Easton EA90SL's, American Classic 350 sprints, Reynolds 32's, FFWD 38's,
DT Swiss Mon Chasseral,etc. They are all gone.

If I had to own just one set of wheels..it would be the Rol D'Huez 24/28's.

DT Swiss Mon Chasseral,etc.

[Nov 09, 2014]
YZ 343

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, smooth, durable, really good hubs

Picked up my set of D'Huez in October of 2012. These were the first of the wider version rims.
Bought them mainly for hill climbs, but they never came off once they were on. Replaced a set of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Immediately noticed a big improvement in ride quality and handling. Since buying these wheels, I have tried some other wheels that friends have let me try out, which include Mavic Carbon Cosmic and Dura Ace C-24 and Reynolds 50mm rims laced to White Industries hubs and Sapim Cxrays. All these wheels had strong points, but I like the Rol's the most followed closely by the C24's.
I have about 10K miles so far. About 20 crits, 10 road races, 4 circuit races and about 10 hill climbs among those miles. I have crashed on them in a crit and slammed numerous potholes and have yet to true them. I weigh 165 lbs and own the 20-24 spoke wheels.Originally I was worried about them being too flimsy for my weight. No more worries in that department.
They made my bike look and feel like a completely different bike. Also, I have the opportunity to buy other wheels for a substantial team discount and still stick with the Rol's. I took my bike to my bike shop for a new chain and left it over night. When I came in the next day, the shop owner was asking me all kinds of questions about my wheels. He was shocked at how well they rolled and praised them for living up to their name.
As mentioned in many posts, the customer service is great. I'm now planning on converting to 11 speed and sending my rear wheel in for an updated hub.

Mavic, Shimano

[Jul 11, 2014]
Clinton Slayton

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, quiet, tough. The wide rims (24mm) make 25mms a good choice, but 23mm tires on these wheels would feel like a racing setup.

None so far.

I purchased these as “insurance” wheels when John Neugent announced the demise of Neuvation. I have ridden alloy 16/20 and 20/24 wheels from John on four bicycles, and was always surprised at the astonishing quality/cost ratio. I finally wore out a rim on some SL3s after several years, but the newer SL5s and SLWs held up just fine under the demanding conditions of country pavement in North Central KY. I wanted a wheelset that would stand up to a beating and comfortably roll on 25mms without feeling like going from a Miata (light wheels with 23mm) to a panel truck (larger tires). (Neuvations were so inexpensive that you can have a climbing set and a distance touring set and a racing set, but I do not race.) The point is, for the price of one set of carbons, a rider can reserve alloy sets with different cassettes for different conditions. I needed these ROLS to be everyday riding wheels for the rough roads, the KY climbs, and the descents. We do not have the mountains here that I have encountered in Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia, just lots and lots of rollers. I am seriously into comfort, most of my rides are 40-50 miles; the occasional 80 milers are rough on my battered old engine, but I want the option to feel free to do them when the spirit moves me.

The ROL wheels came to my attention when I was reading the Southern California (SOCAL) Cycling Club website, then I went on to read the Road Bike Reviews. My decision was between purchasing these, the November alloy wheels, the Zipp alloy wheels, or having some Velocity rims built up by a buddy of mine.

I am allergic to paying over $1000 for an alloy wheelset, so did not opt for the Swiss DT Swiss hub, but went for 24/28 spokes.Sean Lambert of ROL called me shortly after I placed my order to discuss my choice. I recommended that he put a bit more detail on his website re the DT Swiss hub option, since that adds $300 to an $800 dollar wheelset, this put them over my ceiling price for alloy wheels.

The wheels: perfect out of the box, which as I understand is not the case with some wheels costing a great deal more. The weight seemed in line with the advertised weight considering that the hub body does add over the spec on delivery. With the higher spoke count, I expected more weight, but they were close enough to the 20-spoke wheels I already had, which was a major selling point. Decalling was fairly understated compared to many, which I prefer, and they “glow” somewhat in the dark. I ride mostly solo, and brand name recognition from a pack of people admiring my bankroll (think ENVE or Lightweight, for example) means nothing to me.

I have put about 300 miles on these. I did notice a weight increase from the Neuvations when I ran 25mm Schwalbe Durano Plus on both wheels: these are heavy tires, but I have never had a puncture flat with these tires, only one tube-related flat. When I switched the front tire to the Durano (standard) it felt immediately more like the lighter 20-spoke Neuvation SLW front wheel. I run my tires at abt 85-90 psi and have no problem with ignoring them until they get down to below 70 psi. These are, after all, 24mm wide rims. Remember my note about comfort?

300 miles is not much, but enough to allow me to recommend these for anyone who rides on less-than-perfect surfaces and does not have a car loaded with wheels behind them on their rides. I have complete confidence with this wheel/tire combo on corners and descents (but I have to admit that I have not yet hit any heavy rain.) Wide rims with lower tire pressures seems counterintuitive to the speed-demons out there, but I noticed on a 18-20mph group ride that I seemed “quieter” than the other bicycles. My line put me briefly “offroad” as a paved margin had crumbled and there was no loss of control or panic (on my part) as I jumped back on. The group went over a bridge with a notorious steel “L” lip, and most of them came to a standstill. Why they did not chose another route is beyond me, but this did not concern me at all. I do not look for trouble, but these wheels are more than capable of handling the unexpected pothole and other hazards, by virtue of the spoke count and overall quality. I “hopped” the lip, but did not concern myself with going truly airborne, just wanted to take a little weight off. No, these are not Ambrosios with 36 spokes, or carbons that have to be babied and cost half the price of the rest of my bicycle, but I have no doubt that I made the right choice.

Neuvation M28 Aero, R28 SL3, SL5, SLW