Rolf Prima Vector Comp wheelsets - clincher

• spokes 18h front, 20h rear
  • 700c clincher wheels
  • Lightweight precision cartridge bearing hubset
  • Greater radial and lateral strength
  • Aero cross-section spokes
  • Deeper section aero rim
  • Reduced spoke count

• USER REVIEWS

[Nov 04, 2010]
    singraham046

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff and responsive, aero and handle 35 mph cross-winds well, sure-footed at 50mph descent, remain true over quite bumpy surfaces.

NONE!!!

The Rolf Vector Comp wheels came with my LeMond Zurich perchased in 2001. I weigh 165 and average 3000-4000 miles per year. What can I say, the wheels have over 30,000 miles and finally I'll be replacing them because of rim wear from brakes. Never had to true them up, never broke a spoke. they are as close to bullet-proof as anything.

This my first and only serious road bike

[Sep 20, 2010]
    WetPaint

OVERALL
    Strength:

lighter overall wieght

hubs, rims, reliability, stiffness

First few months riding these wheels I noticed that the they are a bit lighter overall but the rims are a bit heavier that most entry level wheels (mavic, easton, fulcrum, ect.) so the are a harder to get up to speed and once they are there they ride like a dream. I have had problems with the hubs and rims, I have done six hub overhauls and four truings for both the front and rear due to the paired spokes and old bearings. If these wheels find a good home and have an owner who doesn't beat the s*** out of them racing they are great and will last forever. For racing and hard traing these are one of the least reliable wheels I have ever owned.

mavic ksyrium elite, zipp 808/404

[Apr 30, 2008]
    zanderz

OVERALL
    Strength:

Extremely strong! Very little maintenance required.

There are lighter wheels out there, if you care about that. Also: these are out of production and you can't get parts.

These wheels came on my Klein, and I was astonished when the rear lasted 3x longer than any other wheel, including one with 36 heavy duty spokes. I always had trouble with wheels: broken axles, spokes, nipples, etc., until Rolf came into my life. Now I am sad because parts are not available for these any more. For a few years I had the rear rebuilt when the rim began to crack, at about 8k-10k miles, but I guess I'm done with that now.

Mavic Aksium, various other wheels from Wheelsmith, etc.

[Mar 16, 2007]
    murray

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very low Maintenance

hummm.....none!

I'm 220 race weight. Winter 225lbs. These wheels are incedible! I have never had any issues with my hubs, trued front and back maybe 3 times..always dependable !!
    (simple),fixable and now there popping spokes.
    i'll just re-spoke and keep on.......

Specialized, Bontrager, Mavic..
    Don't remember the models...

[Feb 09, 2007]
    MTBerwithroadrash

OVERALL
    Strength:

absolutely bombproof
    roll nicely (hold speed)

on the heavy side

I've used these wheels for training off and on since 2001, because I can't find anything that is more bombproof. I wouldn't want to race on them (they're an oafish 1900g for the set) but for training they are perfect. The set I have must have at least 20k miles on them and I've adjusted the rear hub once and never had to true the wheels. I'm a pretty light rider, but after 20k miles you would think that they would have come out of true at least a little bit...

various hubs matched with open pro rims
    ambrosio somethingheavies
    other random training wheelsets
    a bunch of race wheelsets

[Jan 02, 2006]
    charlie brown

OVERALL
    Strength:

Attractive.

Rear hub.

I purchased the wheels from a 160 pound road racer who acquired the wheels when he purchased a new Klein. The wheels have traveled about 6,500 miles. Over that time, the rear hub blew out, the front hub has been adjusted and the set has been trued twice. The wheels have performed reasonably well considering the price that I paid. I would not purchase these wheels again, but I have few major complaints considering that I weigh 225 pounds. My only complaint is that I spent the better part of the summer waiting for replacement parts so that the rear hub could be rebuilt. Apparently, others also had the same problem because the parts were in short supply.

Mavic / Dura Ace; Mavic / 105; Bontrager Selects.

[Dec 27, 2004]
    asianarnold1

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strong and true. Looks. Smooth.

Heavy.

I've ridden 4000 miles + on these. I came from a 32 spoke CXP21 w/ 105 hub wheels, so anything else is way better. Looks nice with the light blue michelin PRs. Strong and true. I had to true it once after a squerrel ran trhough my front wheel. I also ran over a screw that punctured 6 holes in the rear rim, aaargh! I replaced the rim tape and it's ok, sometimes leaks water in. Other than that, it's a pretty good wheelset. A bit on the heavy side. I might sell these and save for some SL's.

Mavic CXP21.

[Sep 12, 2004]
    Allan

OVERALL
    Strength:

These wheels spin very freely with reasonable quality bearings and the basic design looks pleasing to the eye.They are reasonably lightweight as well, but heavier riders of over 180 pounds beware, since the limited spoke count requires highly tension spokes.

The paired spoke design is a wheel builders nightmare, as when the rim requires a tension adjustment in the area between the paired spokes, you obviously cant tension it there, so you have to adjust the runout by the closest spokes, so it sways 'evenly' on both sides, this is not good at all. One of the rear hubs i saw had cracks that started by the hubs edge of the area by the pressed in pawl ring and spread outwards towards the flange on that side.Also one of the wheelsets i worked on seemed that the hubs liked collecting excessive amounts of water, so if you ride in the rain, you need to check them regularly, if not the spring loaded ramp rachet system will rust terribly and seize up.

A very aerodynamic looking wheelset that looks a lot better than it performs overall.I had the chance to repair three sets of these wheels, so i am stating my findings on what i encountered.

[Aug 27, 2004]
    BVBR

OVERALL
    Strength:

Look nice

Horrible creaking from the hubs weight (mine were 2000gm for the pair) Harder to true than traditional wheels Harsh ride

They're nice looking wheels that came on my Trek 2300, but the more I've ridden them, the more I wish I had a traditional spoked wheel. The ride is a bit harsh. They're a little harder to true than a traditional wheel. My worst pet peave is the fact that the hubs keep loosening which creates an awful creaking sound that echoes thru the frame/fork. I eventually ripped the bike apart trying to isolate the creaking. After an afternoon of taking things apart and putting them back together I discover it was the Rolf hubs creaking. I tightened them which solved the creaking (for now); however, there's a fine line between tight enought to stop the creaking and too tight.

[Jun 12, 2004]
    psychle

OVERALL
    Strength:

smooth, fast and tough.

noisy, blue (matter of taste), blade spokes are a liability for minimal gain.

went really fast, and handled some nasty prangs. suffered a little with freehub noise, but this eased in time. i found the rear hub loosened a bit after about 2500 miles, but was amenable to simple tightening of the "cones." there was some lateral movement and braek rub in the rear on climbs, which was corrected by tightening the spokes all round by a half turn. at around 500 miles the drive side spokes at the rear startee to snap, and eventually all needed replacing. the fatigue point was, predictably, where the transition from round to flat took place. in itself not unexpected for bladed spokes, but a little annoying, adn exacerbated by the chain rubbing, somewhat, at this point. really easy to straighten up however, nicely accessible nipples, and more ressuring with good-ole butted spokes in place. there may be a lesson in regard to stiff deep rims like this, if you keep tightening the spokes, they will snap, and the rims won't pretzel, so some circumspection is required.

vento g3 (training and everyday rides), ultegra/reflex