Rolf Prima Vector Sport wheelsets - clincher

• Greater radial and lateral strength
  • Less rotational weight
  • 50% more pulling spokes
  • Spokes 20h front, 24h rear
  • Butted spokes

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 13, 2020]
    jeffbozo

OVERALL
    Strength:

The rear hub crapped out on me after a long winter of riding and had to be replaced. I also was unhappy with the skewers, which look neat but aren't compatible with any trainers I've ever seen.

Purchased:
    Used
    [May 30, 2003]
    klein58

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good quality for the money. If they came on your bike they will last and last.

Not available anymore.

Darn good set of wheels. I have put over 20000 km on them and the rear wheel just died. The front is still going strong. Have used these wheels for cyclocross and road riding and commuting year round in rain and snow etc. The front has never been trued but the rear had to be trued twice before it died.

Mavic, Bontrager racelite, bontrager select.

[Apr 10, 2003]
    georgevato

OVERALL
    Strength:

DAMN GOOD QUALITY AND BOMB PROOF. SOLID FOR EVERY DAY, CLUB RIDES, TRAINING AND CENTURYS. THEY ROLL WELL AT MEDIUM TO HIGH SPEEDS.

VER FEW. SLIGHTY HEAVY (1800 GMS+).

I GOT THESE ROLFS WITH MY CURRENT ROAD BIKE. I WAS SUPPOSE TO HAVE SHIMANO 105/540 WHEELS, BUT MY RETAILER DIDN'T LIKE THEM. GOOD CHOICE. THESE ROLFS HAVE BEEN GREAT AND NO PROBLEMS SINCE I'VE HAD THEM. SLIGHTY HEAVIER THAN RACING WHEELS BUT VERY GOOD FOR TRAINING. STRAIGHT AND TRUE AND STRONG. PERIOD.

FIRS NET 97S

[Sep 18, 2002]
    Nicole

OVERALL
    Strength:

price

heavy, accelerates slowly, repeated bearing probs.

They came on the Kestrel KM 40 I bought and I decided to just ride them 'til they died. Well, they just bit the dust. Had the rear bearings re-packed many times, then replaced. Nothing helped. They were fair wheels but would never buy again.

[May 01, 2002]
    funknuggets

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price, reliability

Climb like a stone (heavy)

On a budget went and got these on a whim with good and bad results. For the money, have been an outstanding training wheel. But, do not let anyone kid you they are NOT light and climb and accelerate like a stone. I think they have a decent hub, but the lowered spoke count requires a heavy rim and higher tension, which forces the need for brass nipples. They have stayed round and true despite some insane beating on the pocked Missouri back roads. On fairly flat rides, these do cruise well at any speeds above 20 mph. But if you are going to use this on rolling hills, crits, or anything that requires multiple accelerations.... be ready to get dropped.

RSX/Mavic CXP 11

[Feb 26, 2002]
    Allan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good budget wheelset. Smooth rolling. Nice look.

Weight. Lateral stiffness very very weak! Non-sealed hubs

These wheels are OK for being stock on a mid-range bike. They have stayed true for the most part throughout the time I''ve owned them. Only once or twice have I had to true them, and only by small amounts. Also, they roll really smooth. The machined braking surface is always a plus too. That''s the positive. The negatives are: One, they are fairly heavy, especially the rear wheel (obviously the rear naturally weighs more with the cassette, but even still, it feels heavier than other rear wheels I''ve held). Also, the front wheel is radially laced, and therefore has very little lateral stiffness. This is by far the biggest drawback to these wheels. I don''t race (yet), but when I do put the hammer down and ride out of the saddle, I can hear the wheels rubbing against the brakes. I can only imagine the amount of energy I''m wasting, ugh... And we''re not talking really aggressive riding, just basic out-of-the-saddle riding. I can even notice some sway when I''m descending, and cornering. And lastly, as has been mentioned, the decals are junk.

Velomax CC, Shimano 6500

[Oct 28, 2001]
    Uncle Tim

OVERALL
    Strength:

Solid, dependable, strong spokes, easy to true, fast for their weight, serviceable hubs, good looks.

Spokes tend to work loose (which means you need to have the right spoke wrench and know how to use it), relatively heavy, too many good quality wheelsets that can be had for just a little more money.

These are durable, dependable wheels. Wheelset advancements are happening so quickly that Rolf Vectors are almost generic, but there is no question that these wheels can take a beating while offering solid performance, even for a racer on a very tight budget. I''''ve ridden 5,000 miles on these wheels in all kinds of conditions. I''''ve even weighted them down with packed panniers and they have never failed me. However, they will need constant watching as the spokes tend to work loose. If you keep your eyes on the spokes, keep the wheel true and tight, you should have no serious problems. I have the Vector Comps on my other, "more serious" bike, and I''''ve found the Comps to be less dependible than their humble little brothers. The hubs are serviceable and I overhauled my front wheel at about 4,500 miles. The bearings did show signs of serious wear but replacing them was easy to do.?xD;?xA;My wife has them on her bike, too, and the report is the same. Good quality product..

Rolf Vector Comps

[Oct 15, 2001]
    Jeff

OVERALL
    Strength:

For the price, the wheels feel somewhat fast and light.

In the first 400 miles, I''ve had to true both front and back wheels, and have broken a rear spoke. So they really aren''t built all that well in my experience. The other drawback is that the hubse feel somewhat cheap and not as smooth as Shimano 105s or better. Next time I''ll look at the new Shimano wheelsets.

I can''t recommend these wheels unless your a recreational rider on smooth roads, and want a cheap aero wheelset.

[Aug 24, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice aero look, Roll smooth, have stayed true with some nasty hits

Not the lightest wheelset, but light enough, not really an issue if you don't race.

They ride as good as anything else I've been on. I'm sure if I raced and did a lot of sprinting I'd notice a difference with some superlight wheelset which shaves nearly a pound of weight. I've heard some real horror stories about those anorexic wheelsets' tendencies to blow up at high speed on small hits though. I ride in and around Boston. Our roads suck and these have been indestructible and haven't even needed truing after 6 months of riding/commuting, and I've carelessly put them in some nasty potholes that resemble crevasses. I like to get out and spin at 20+ for an hour or 2. These wheels are great for that, mated to my steel frame I have a comfortable fast bike. My whole setup is not superlight but as I said before I don't race and therefor don't do a lot of accelerating. They'll cruise as good at speed as anything out there. Unless you need that extra edge b/c you race competively you'll see no difference b/t this dependable inexpensive wheelset and higher end stuff.

Mavic, Campy, and Shimano on other bikes I test rode

[Jun 22, 2001]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Fast and strong. Not the lightest wheelset, but it works great for me because is allround.

Decals came loose.

Very good wheelset for the price. They came with the bike, but I never thought of replacing them. I've never had problems with the bearings the're as smooth as ever. (Although I've had lots of rain.... No problems with trueing after a crash.