Shimano WH-7800 wheelsets - clincher

With the focus on speed, a rim profile of 24mm yields a substantial reduction in weight while maintaining an aerodynamic shape. 16-spoke front wheel with an oversized 15mm aluminum axle helps counter flex in today’s lightweight forks. 20-spoke rear, centered on a lighter weight aluminum freehub body, creates the delicate balance between lightweight and rigidity. 700c clincher. 1716 g. (QR skewer included). Shimano 10 speed only. SSB-CB-AA

[Dec 03, 2008]
Paul-

OVERALL
Strength:

smooth

weak rim.

These wheels are smooth and mostly strong (more on this later). I rode about 5000 miles on these and they stay true and round. I only have to true the rear once when one of spoke lost tension.

Now the bad part. I am 160 and ride mostly on smooth road. The rear rim at one of the spoke hole cracked. Not just a crack that extends in the direction of the spoke, but a 2" crack running in the rim direction. This wheel is useless now. It is more expensive to rebuild it then just buy another one. The durability is the worst I have seen. I used many set of wheels and had never seen this type of damage with these few miles from normal riding.

rolf, mavic ksyrium

[Sep 22, 2008]
GLBorchert

OVERALL
Strength:

Silky-smooth hubs. Aerodynamic. Great on descents. Great handling.

Good looking wheels, but not as pretty as some of the newer wheels on the market.

The Ultegra SL wheelset that came with my Roubaix Expert had a hub problem, and my LBS had a nice set of Dura-Ace WH-7800's on sale, and let me upgrade for $50. I don't think they're quite as attractive as the dark gray WH-6600 G's that came with the bike, but other than that they beat the Ultegra's hands down. The hubs are just awesome, so smooth. They feel about the same as the Ultegra's on climbs, but are definitely faster downhill, as well as more aero. I rode 35 miles today in fairly strong winds, and didn't feel any crosswind problems. As far as these wheels are concerned, there was no wind at all. I also think they corner better and handle better overall than any wheel I've had. I'm cornering tighter, and have more confidence in taking tight turns at a slightly higher speed.

Ultegra SL's (WH-6600 G); AlexRims S500

[Jul 19, 2007]
Cary

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth bearings. No flex yet not too stiff. Durable and great breaking.

Not as light as some other wheelsets.

Very good wheels. They roll great, especially on the flats and downhill. These wheels take a lot of abuse. I've had them for eight months over very rough roads and pot holes and have not had to take them off the bike - except to fix flats! If you want a very durable wheel set - a set you don't have to think about - these are for you. I have other wheel sets that are lighter but more delicate.

Mavic Ksyrium, Campy Eurus, DT Swiss 240.

[Mar 07, 2007]
cpark

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, durable, reaonably light and descently priced.

Truing (have to remove cassette to true the back wheel), no option of black color rims and spokes.
Also, I don't have a problem with this issue since I run 10 speed on all my bikes but if you run 9 or 8 speed you can not use this wheelset.

This is my training/rain wheelset.
I own HED3, Zipp Z4, Zipp Z6, Zipp 303, Spinergy, Reynolds Strarus DV UL and this wheelset.
These are fantastic wheelsets for just about everything except for a high speed Time Trial or steep hill clibming.
They weigh 1500+ grams but it sure rolls like much lighter wheelset.
I have crashed, ran over pot holes and the wheels are still pretty true and round.
I weigh 180 lbs and they are perfectly stiff for me as well.

If you can only have one wheelset, this would be it.

It's bomb proof, reasonably fast and light.

I understand that new ones are lighter and tubeless compatible.

HED3, Zipp Z4, Zipp Z6, Zipp 303, Spinergy, Reynolds Strarus DV UL

[Sep 17, 2006]
kstarling

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice hubs.

Look very ordinary, no different to 550's. Rims have limited servicable life, and are way too expensive. Wheels are disposable. Shame, such a nice hub deserves another life.

The Good News,
They roll nicely and have great hubs. If you were to write a report soon after purchase this is where the review would end. However.
The bad news.
The rims are to soft, and get chewed up too quickly by the brakes. The wear indicated disapears rapidly. the cost of replacing the rims is too high to bother repairing them, so your AUS$1000 are disposible.
Also, Shimano won't give recommended retail prices out for rims, so bike shops can charge what they like. I was quoted AUS$400 for rims alone + re build?? Basically because they would rather sell you new wheels. No wonder we all buy our stuff from online stores and ebay.

Mavics.

[Aug 02, 2006]
tngleas

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling and soft ride.

Flex a little on out of the saddle riding, but still move up the road very quickly.

I recently purchased an Orbea Orca road bike that came equiped with a Dura-Ace WH-7800 wheelset and have been pleasantly suprised with their perfomance. These wheels do a wonderful job of softening the ride on rough roads, yet are still stiff enough to keep me rolling along at a very fast pace. Probably the most impressive thing about these wheels is how well they descend. On some of my other wheelsets (Ksyrium SSC SL, Mavic Open Pro) the wheels were so rigid that I was often thrown straight through sharp corners and never able to find the perfect line....not with these wheels. From my first ride down a set of tricky switchbacks I was able to float through the corners without any thought of how fast I was going. They wheels really handle beautifully. Note: I'm 5'11", 190lbs and ride a lot of fast descents on rough roads coming out of the mountains of Albuquerque, NM.

Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL tubulars, Mavic Open Pro w/Dura-Ace hubs

[Jan 02, 2006]
mikael17128

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultra durable, light, comfortable, and rock solid on descents.

I have gone through many gyrations with my bicycle components and I always end up with Dura-Ace: Sadly, this is usually after many unsuccessful flirtations with non Dura-Ace componentry. I have had Zipp 202’s (fast but fragile), Zipp 404’s (nice but expensive), Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL’s (light, stiff but a nightmare in the wind), and a few other custom concoctions. Do you know what I ride? Dura-Ace WH-7800’s. They are DURABLE, light, comfortable and yes, stiff enough for me. Did I mention that they are ROCK SOLID and peerless on for downhilling? I have an easy four-step process I live by in regards to purchasing bicycle parts: #1) Identify a need (or want) for a new component #2) Call you LBS #3) Ask them if Shimano makes the component from step #1 in the Dura-Ace category #4) Order the part and LOOK NO FURTHER, you have found as good of a component as is presently available ANYWHERE from ANYONE. Disclaimer: Perhaps, if you are racing in the Tour De France or have ALLOT of money, patience, and space for redundant backups you may find my 4-step process is not for you.

[Nov 16, 2005]
hairylegs

OVERALL
Strength:

Corners- they explode, no kidding. Downhills.

A little flexy on the climbs. I hate to say it but it's true.

I like these wheels. I'm impressed with how they handle on the flats and the downs. REALLY IMPRESSED. But... they're not as great on the climbs. Don't get me wrong, they don't hold you back but they don't give you the same rocket feel. Maybe a little flexy. Honestly, I love these wheels but the best way to put it is that there's just something missing on the ups. If you live in Kansas, these are the wheels for you. If you're racing nothing but crits, then these are DEFINITELY the wheels for you. But don't expect these to shave time off your record to Buffalo Bill's Grave or anything like that. (but you can console yourself on the way down) I think enough people won't like these wheels that you can get them pretty cheaply on eBay. That's a good thing if you like them... and I do.

[Jun 15, 2005]
fred

OVERALL
Strength:

Uh, durable AND light weight. Stealthy looks. Reasonably Aero without crosswind problems.

Dont have that "I'm so cool" look of Ksyrium SSLs.

Light Weight, Aero, Smooth Riding, Blah Blah Blah.... Let me tell you a story: This morning I am coming down a very smoothly paved hill, but managed to flat. No real clue how that happened. I rode on these wheels with NO AIR IN MY TIRES for at least 1000 yards, before it occurred to me that the ride was a little rougher than it should be, and I pulled over and changed my tube. The wheel was still completely, 100% true after such harsh treatment. I weigh almost 200 pounds. Any Questions?

[Mar 31, 2005]
MTSchnur

OVERALL
Strength:

Strength, durability, reasonable lightweight. Good looks too.

Rear wheel developed 1 inch crack on rim after 2500 miles. LBS sent it in for warranty no questions asked.

Light, sturdy, fast training/racing wheelset.

Rolf Vector Pro, Mavic CXP 30