Spinergy SR 3 '01 wheelsets - clincher

• Elliptical steel spokes 20 front, 28 rear
  • Precision U.S. and Swiss made hubs with X-change alloy freehub that is interchangeable between Shimano 8/9 and Campagnolo 9/10 with the optional Campy freehub kit.
  • 30mm aero profile rim 1760g
  • Skewers included.

• USER REVIEWS

[May 10, 2008]
    suvacrew

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price..was the hook. Spinergy's cust serv has evolved much over the years too. Stable, steady, can handle my cycling weight of 200LBs and I torque the hell out of them and they haven't busted yet.

The legacy of having a bad reputation. Not the lightest, but there's a point you diverge form being responsibly light.

I've had a love hate relationship with SPinergy ever since my first batch of Rev-Xs exploded and left me sliding down the road. but still ride and train on Spox (with minimum issues) and got these SR3 for climbing and riding the rougher roads as I'm too lazy to change the cogs, it's quicker to change the wheels

Spox R1 and 2, ZIPP 440, Bontrager Race Lite.

[Feb 12, 2007]
    krbike

OVERALL
    Strength:

aero, smooth bearings, look good

none yet

They roll well under my 200 lbs and have remained true. I broke a spring in the rear hub on Saturday, left voice mail at Spinergy service dept. They phoned me at 9am Monday and we agreed that I would bring the wheel to them ASAP. They replaced the free hub with an updated version in 15 minutes and sent me home with a couple of extra springs as well for no charge. These wheels are 4 years old and long out of warranty. How can you top that for customer service?

Ksyrium

[Aug 02, 2006]
    Lane caskey

OVERALL
    Strength:

road nice until....

spokes and front hub, severe crack.

Spinergy SR...ok wheel until frong hub cracked. Can't find replacement...2 weeks later, rear spoke broke and can not find replacement.

[Jul 21, 2006]
    Greg Blackmore

OVERALL
    Strength:

STAY AWAY. Relatively light, came with skewers seemed like a good value at first. I still use the front on occasion, it's the only one that still works. Okay, I was happy the day I got them.

Stay away. Rear was garbage after 1100 miles of NORMAL training rides on good roads. Seems Spinergy is only concerned with selling garbage with ZERO dealer or customer support. Most quality bike shops in my area have DROPPED the line because the quality is at best questionable. The naked truth is that when I asked other dealers they all had a Spinergy FILE FOLDER and a rack of wheels waiting for parts. Spinergy support is almost non-exisistent. Nice job Spinergy, alienate dealers and riders. No small feat. Go Away Spinergy.

STAY AWAY. Horrible. The first rear spoke BROKE in the first 500 miles on a smooth road. I waited 3 MONTHS for replacement spokes. Spinergy failed to respond to follow up phone calls as I was in the store and witnessed the shops efforts on multiple occasions. I was also cc'd on emails to Spinergy from the shop. Once contacted, (nice guy and equally frustrated with the situation and genuinely helped) I ordered extra front spokes and both side rears just in case. After 2 months I heard a phone conversation where Spinergy claimed to have shipped product but would not provide a tracking number to the shop. A couple weeks later, my spokes came in. Almost 3 months from the day I informed the shop of the problem. At 1100 miles and still well within a year of purchase I had a rear axle failure on a ride that trashed rear hub/wheel beyond repair. I asked for the first nice guy I talked to, but to no surprise he left the company. I was told there would be a charge to inspect, repair and replace if needed. They would NOT commit to a time frame for return. After three more weeks I called back to talk to another tech and he told me I’d be better off paying for partial replacement and get another wheel. SPINERGY completely IGNORED the dealer I purchased the wheelset from as well as other dealers working on my behalf. Pathetic. Spend you money on Spinergy and I can almost guarantee you’ll regret it.

DA/Mavic tubular A+, Ritchey WCS clincher A+, Campagnolo Neutron A+

[Jul 11, 2005]
    pete power

OVERALL
    Strength:

dead true and hassle free

I wore them out things don't last forever I guess

I can't speak for anyone else but my wheels have exceeded my expectations.I weigh right at 210lbs. and live in pothole heaven, so.cal, in four years and nearly 8000 all purpose miles i've trued them exactly one time, no broken spokes, regular service intervales.this last month i finally wore out the cluster bearings which also took out the axle. I called spinergy dirctly and recieved (withen two days) what parts they had left since they don't make this wheel any more.With no new axle these wheels are done, so i called spinergy again, they will replace at large discount and I am going directly to them to pick them up. I truly hope to get same results from new wheels. I am baffled at the negative reviews but understand things happen to other products also and bicycles tend to get alot of abusive miles. I have a set of mavic open pros hanging in my garage because they break spokes every ride, quality control????? go figure.

mavic open pro mavic gp4 mavic cxp22

[Sep 09, 2004]
    Allan

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great rims fitted to this Spinergy wheelset by the italian company FIR,the wheels are very strong despite their look and reasonably light weight too. They ride really well and have good feedback to them on most road surfaces. The factory the spoke tension proved to be standing up quite well over the first 1000 miles, without any serious out of true issues, but after that period a few tweaks were needed to keep things in line.

The rear hub set up is a bit weak due to the radial lacing on one side and its quite easy to flex the rim over to the left brake block on sprints regardless of how much you tension the spokes. Quick fix is to replace the rear hub with a crossed pattern on both sides.

This review is for the last version of SR3 wheelsets

[Jul 31, 2004]
    roadeagl

OVERALL
    Strength:

Well,... they seemed light.

Rear rim defective. Rear skewer did not clamp properly-poor cam radius.

Wheels came on Litespeed Arenberg. Rear rim defective out of the box. After much hassle, returned wheel to Spinergy [at my expense] and they repaired it...eventually.

Ultegra/Mavic

[Mar 14, 2004]
    lancisti

OVERALL
    Strength:

Stiff, responsive, STRONG, good looking, affordable aero wheel. These have been a great wheelset for me.

Suspect Spinergy quality (see other postings), one of the decals is peeling a little.

Got these wheels as part of a custom build on a Cannondale R600 Silkroad. While I seem to be in somewhat of the minority, my experience with these wheels has been excellent. After putting over 3000 miles on this set that has seen lots of climbing, long flat rides, 60+ mph descents, rough roads (and a few NASTY potholes along the way) I’ve never had any problems at all. In contrast to a number of other postings perhaps my case is an anomaly, but I’ve ridden these wheels pretty hard (I weigh 187lbs.) and they’ve never gone out of true and haven’t had any problems whatsoever. Only recently did I have my first problem when the tensioning circlip that keeps the pawls engaged against the teeth inside the freehub failed by breaking in half resulting in a forward/backward free spinning drivetrain, i.e. no drive to the wheel. Unfortunately, since these are Series 1 SR-3’s, parts are no longer available for these hubs. Per a phone conversation with Spinergy, the Series 1 hubs were made by EDCO and apparently have a reputation for premature perhaps due to QC issues or a design flaw. As a result, Spinergy dropped their affiliation with EDCO after the first year of production hence the lack of availability of parts. I did pull out the guts of the freehub at about 1500 miles to give it a thorough cleaning and repack it just for preventative maintenance. Other than that these wheels haven’t been touched since I got the bike. Of note, the freehub “ratchet” sound on these wheels is noticeably loud when spinning, although it doesn’t bother me. It does not affect their performance in the slightest, but you definitely know when they’re rolling by. These wheels are very responsive and stiff, which I greatly prefer. A friend is loaning me his Mavic Cosmos wheels while I’m waiting for the SR-3’s to be fixed and while they’re a nice wheel they feel ‘draggy’ in their response. Almost like they lag just a beat when you accelerate or spin on them. In contrast, the SR-3’s are instant in their response, very quick to accelerate, change direction and they’ll spin all day long with minimal effort. Relative to the current offerings on the market they’re on the ‘heavy-ish’ side at 1760 grams, but still quite light for what they are compared to most of the trainers out there. Plus they’re an aero rim and spoke design. They look great, are super strong, and I love them. While I would certainly recommend these wheels, take this with a final caveat that Spinergy’s quality control appears to be suspect (see other postings).

Mavic Cosmos, Mavic Ksyrium Elites

[Sep 14, 2003]
    ron_tazuma

OVERALL
    Strength:

Front wheel seems to be OK so far. Light weight.

Poorest quality for durability. Rear hub was always loosening up. Can't stand up to moderate level of use. Apparently these are EDCO hubs. Spinergy does not stand behind them when over 1 year past purchase for obvious manufacturing quality problems. Takes 2 months to get anywhere with Spinergy service department.

They came as part of bike purchase. After 2 years of recreational riding in the warmn weather months only (under 1000 miles). The rear axle sheared in half. Upon replacing the axle at $80, the cassette housing where the locking mechanism actuates crumbles. This is the part that creates the rachetting sound when you are freewheeling (coasting). So that is going to cost another $80 to replace. I think not. Time to trash these poor quality Hubs and replace them with something else. Avoid Spinergy Wheels!

Replaced wheels with Campy Proton. These wheels are working much better.

[Jul 15, 2003]
    Brian

OVERALL
    Strength:

Performed nearly flawlessly to date

The SR3s have worked well for me. I've had one minor problem with a spoke loosening, but other than that they've been fine. I weigh 158 so I may not be hammering them like some of the other reviewers. Have 1K miles and going strong. Not sure how they compare to other rims but wouldn't mind hearing from anyone who's upgraded (considering Ksyrium Elites, Am. Classic CR-420s and Velomax Ascent II).