Spinergy Tilium Carbon wheelsets - clincher

Lightweight and super strong, the Tilium PBO is the ultimate racing or training wheel. PBO technology brings wheel weight to a minimum, and helps to reduce rider fatigue.

• Advanced PBO fiber spokes (black or white) - 16 front/20 rear
  • Compact Force 10 hub, utilizes 10 driving spokes for greater torsional stiffness
  • Custom US made alloy freehub system with vacuum seal. CNC machined hubs, with sealed cartridge bearings for minimal rolling resistance.
  • 45mm Tilium carbon rim.
  • Shimano 8/9/10 or Campy 9/10 compatible
  • Skewers included
  • Only 1620g per set
  • Sizes: 700c & 650c. Clincher only
  • UCI Approved

[Jun 24, 2005]
dogmanmsu

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong and sexy - a real eye turner at the race.

None found yet. I could see an issue with trueing the wheels as you must take tire and tube off completely.

Had concern over neg. reviews but took chance. First off wheels came in true and beautiful. Second - the wheels are bomb proof in my "testing". Bike became disconnected from roof rack on the way to a race (my cousin did the mounting), and flew off the car at about 50 mph. It flopped aroung by the strap on rear wheel until we could get pulled over and reattach. Wheel was in top condition at dismount and I rode my fastest bike split this season that day.

flirted with real designs and spinergy rev x as demos

[Jun 18, 2005]
jhonma

OVERALL
Strength:

Lighter than most deeprim wheelset. Carbon/Alminium hybrid rim suits everyday ride.

Gets road shock harsher, as every deeprim does.

Replaced from Spinergy's SPOX R2. The difference is notisable at first ride. Aero but light, accelerates well. I ride every weekend, sometimes on rough pavement, it stays true after a year without care. I found some "cosmetic" cracks on its surface, but nothing serious so far. I wondered whether to buy it against bad reputation, but it turned out to be a good choice. In Japan it costs $2000 per pair (not a joke!), so bought it via web. Thanks, Bicyclebuys.

Spinergy SPOX R2, Mavic Ksyrium SL, Ambrosio X-Carbo

[Jul 25, 2004]
wasso

OVERALL
Strength:

Look fast.

Bad product design, won't stay true. Obviously not a bargain!

Despite reading all of the poor reviews of this product, I saw a set on sale and decided they would look nice on my new bike. Also, I have a set of Spox R1's that have held up nicely, so I figured why not. They arrived slightly out of true to begin with. I trued them myself and tightened up several loose spokes. The LBS checked them out and said they were in good true and off I went. So, I put them on for a race. Now just 60 miles later the rear is rubbing the brake pad-I thought I was just slow. I am slow, but these things went out of true that badly in a 60 mile race on smooth roads. Also, I weigh 160! I trued them again and after a 30 mile training ride they were out of true again. Maybe I can use them as frisbees or something! I'll stick to the Bontragers that came with my bike thank you.

Mavic Ksyriums, Bontrager race x-lite.

[Mar 21, 2004]
Festive

OVERALL
Strength:

Performance: the weight and aero profile make these wheels ride like a rocket. The difference between these and my Ksyrium SL's is noticable-- especially at speed. But there are other wheels that are just as fast. The amazing thing about these wheels, compared to the other deep dish carbon wheels that I have ridden (see below) is the ride quality. The PBO spokes soak up the vibrations while still giving excellent road feel. I plan to ride them this year in all my long rides.

Price (but worth every penny if you can afford it).

I did a lot of research before buying these wheels. I was intriqued by the too-good-to-be-true performance claims of the PBO spoke technology. I was also quite concerned about was the quality issues described in other reviews on this page (which were posted quite a while ago). So I made a point of talking to the manufacturer last year at Interbike. While I'm not a manufacturing expert, I remembered enough from my mechanical engineering background to explore in reasonable detail their design, testing, material choices, manufacturing techniques, and quality control. The net result was that I impressed enough by their methods to take a chance. Turned out to be a good decision. The wheels arrived in perfect condition. They were true out of the box and have remained so over the last 4 months. I had none of the quality problems described in previous reviews. The wheels were perfect out of the box. they have remained true over the 3 months I've ridden them. One of my riding buddies also purchased a pair; his set arrived in similar (perfect) condition. He tells me they are still true after a couple of months (despite the fact that he weighs over 200lbs).

Fir Antari; Zipp 404; Nimble; Ksyrium SL

[Oct 16, 2003]
Pat Chavez

OVERALL
Strength:

Areo and light

Areo and light are worth nothing if the company can't even true the wheels.

The first set was way out of true. I returned for replacements and they also were badly out of true. I emailed Spinergy Customer Service and they never bothered to contact me. I also tried to call the company without any luck. As a result, I returned for a credit. I don't understand how Spinergy can stay in business with such poor customer service and suspect quality control.

Mavic Cosmos and Ksyrium SSC SL

[Oct 12, 2003]
Charles

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight. Very Aero! Good looks. Smooth ride. Stiff.

Weak rear wheel. Side walls should NOT begin to collapse on ANY wheel.

I am a Marine stationed in Iwakuni, Japan. The rear wheel was slightly untrue when I pulled it out of the box. Two expert mechs at the local bike shop, UEKI, didn't even want to attempt to true it. They said it would be OK to ride on. I bought them primarily to race on but have put about 2,000 Km on them in the past months. The front wheel is awesome; however, I have noticed that the rear wheel side wall opposite the cassette is beginning to collapse at the 4th spoke forward of the valve hole. There also appear to be two cracks forming in line with the spokes in other spots. I love the way they soften the road and their incredible lightness. I finally rode a flat 40 Km time trial in less than an hour. The only problem is the apparently flawed rear wheel at the $1,000 price tag. I am moving to North Carolina during December 2003 where I will send the wheels back to Supergo and request replacements. I don't feel the rear wheel is safe to ride. I'll go back to my Rolf's.

Rolf Vector Comp

[Oct 06, 2003]
jasongun

OVERALL
Strength:

Super-light & Aero (A hard combo to find). Very good looking...I get a lot of looks!

Inability to stay true. Spinergy's extremely weak customer service. Lack of attention to detail. Retail$$. I'm only 135 lbs, so imagine how bad it would be for a 175 lb. rider. Unless you want a lot of practice truing wheels, get another wheelset. I know many other people are having the same problem with this whelset. It is not a fluke. The design is flawed.

After a much anticipated wait for these wheels, I finally got my paws on a set. At firt glance, this is the ideal wheelset. Ultralight, super-aero, really good looking, and supposedly very strong due to the PBO spokes. My first set out of the box could not be trued. They were soooo wobbly, that they could not be ridden. They could not even be trued after multiple tries, by multiple veteran mechanics. My replacement set took forever to arrive (2 months). Spinergy's customer service is horrible. My first set came with MTB skewers & torn stickers! I don't know how they allow a wheel to leave their company in that type of condition. Unreal! I traded in a pair of Ksyriums for these. Huge mistake! I rode those Ksyriums for 14k miles without having to true them even once. I have to true these wheels every 4 or 5 rides. Horrible! For a supposedly top-shelf product, their inability to stay true is horrible.

Cosmic Elite, Bontrager Race Lite, Mavic Ksyrium (The best wheels ever made!)