Spinergy X Aero '01 wheelsets - clincher

• Advanced PBO fiber spokes - 16 front/20 rear
  • Force 10 rear hub design features 10 drive spokes and far greater torsional stiffness than the competition.
  • Precision U.S. and Swiss made hubs with X-change alloy freehub that is interchangeable between Shimano 8/9 and Campagnolo 9/10 speed with optional Campy freehub kit.
  • 30mm aero profile rim with machined brake track
  • Black, yellow or blue spokes with black hubs and rims
  • Skewers and wheelbags included

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 20, 2015]
    Zach B

OVERALL
    Strength:

These wheels have seen an absurd amount of use over the 10+ years they've been in use. I got them as a hand-me-down after my dad had put them through their paces for 4 or 5 years of continued riding. Thousands and thousands of miles ridden on them on several different bikes and they ride smooth and look great (ok, the stickers have partly peeled off of the rear rim, but I honestly don't care). The wheels have rarely needed truing and considering their age and the newness of the spoke technology at the time these wheels came out, the PBO spokes have held up amazingly. The rims are now showing wear-down in the breaking surface, but having moved the wheels onto a weekend warrior fun bike and careful positioning of the break pads to even out the wear make this manageable. It happens eventually to all wheels/rims that don't break!

As most others have noted, there is some sag if you crank on them off a start or doing hard climbs but given that the spokes are fiber and OLD, this seems unavoidable and is not worse than some other wheelsets I've used.

These wheels have stood the test of time. I don't know if it was luck or what that spared us any hub problems that seem to have plagued others, but the wheels have really impressed me and continue to see use after 10+ years. I don't ride as much as I used to but I'm confident that they'll continue to serve me well until I eventually retire them.

Mavic Open pro/Ultegra, Stelvio, Cane Creek volos, alex wheels

[Sep 13, 2003]
    b dean

OVERALL
    Strength:

great wheels, smooth and fast

what customer service, one day spinergy will go out of business, due to their lack of customer service, Every local bike shop has quit carrying their wheels due to NO C/S. I will never buy anything with their wheels again.

terrible service, Run away, no ride away as fast as you can.

Mavic

[Aug 01, 2003]
    Edwin Adlerman

OVERALL
    Strength:

Weight, strength, shock absorption

Rear freehub, long wait for parts

The good things about this wheelset are its looks, great ride, decent weight. Its seems pretty strong, as I'm about 190lbs. and tend to ride some real rough roads, and they've only been trued once in several years. I've had some major problems with the rear freehub though...it took FOREVER to get a replacement under warranty, and the rear hub now creaks and groans (at least its functional!). If someone else made the hubs, I might buy from Spinergy again....

[Jun 20, 2003]
    Chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

light stiff durable

I have had some trouble with Spinergy customer service on another wheelset I owned. They eventually made it better than good, but it was too long a process.

I have had very good luck with these wheels, as I've had with the R-2 I had before. I have the hubs serviced once our twice a year. They've never been out of true. Being a frequent mountain biker, I am occationally known to huck rail road tracks or curbs at 25 or 30 mph. Never had a problem. They're light and I like to climb. They're stiff enough to make you go in the right direction. I'd buy 'em again.

Mavic Campy

[Mar 05, 2003]
    kkeller

OVERALL
    Strength:

Super comfy and bombproof.

Rear hub sucks.

Wheels are great if you have a spare rear to use from time to time. I now have over 10,000 miles on them and have only had rear freehub problems. I'm 185 lbs and ride them in all conditions. They are super comfortable and stay very true but the freehub body sucks! To Spinergy's credit they are aware of the problem and have modified the freehub but it only seems to be slightly better. Wheels were fantastic for the first 5000 miles but I've been through 4 freehubs since. As long as they keep sending them N/C I'll be a loyal customer. Now looking for a set of the Tilium carbons.

HED, Shimano, Hugi

[Dec 28, 2002]
    cinbau

OVERALL
    Strength:

Good road damping.

Poor craftmenship. I noticed a strees fracture on the front rim by the nipple. The wheel has not been trued or crashed. Spinergy said that they will not warrenty the rim. Rear wheel keeps coming out of true.

Wheels ride good. Accelerate quickly. Cool locking.

Rev-X

[Nov 23, 2002]
    Old Gerr

OVERALL
    Strength:

Smooth, absorb shock.

Probably cornering, but I'm a climber, not a crit guy.

Great climbing wheels, Xaero lites are even better. I've been a fan of composite spoke wheels for some time. Except the Spoks sucked. These are extremely smooth. I pump my open cx way up and it's like someone letting go of my rear wheel.

[Nov 11, 2002]
    trippmg

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice ride. Decent weight. Held up to rough riding without going out of true.

I question their strength. So my value rating reflects the fact that I've had to buy the rear wheel twice.

Not sure about these wheels. I put about 400 miles on them, and they were great. They are a lot lighter than my other wheels (not too hard-CXP 30's with 36 spokes in the back and 105 hubs), and they accellerate well. I weigh 215 lbs., and these wheels took 400 miles of rough, levee roads in group training ride situations at speed without going out of true. I perceive no "flex" in the wheels but they do seem to soak up some road shock (hard to tell if it is the wheels or the new bike). However, on my last ride, my friend started to turn right, so I started turning, then he decided to go straight. He ran into me and fell of his bike, apparently hitting my rear wheel at very low speed. The impact of his arm ruined the wheel, forcing me to buy a new rim and have the wheel rebuilt. So I like the wheels, but all my other wheels would have taken this impact without a hiccup.

Mavics of all sorts.

[Nov 08, 2002]
    EASTSIDE

OVERALL
    Strength:

well, they LOOK nice. They provide a nice ride. . . maybe that is the carbon fork and ti bike. . . . .

i have repacked the wheels 3 times since i got them. I did not pay for these wheels and i am trying to sell them. Not good. They are just not properly produced. If someone at spinergy is reading this, MAKE THE PRODUCT RIGHT OR NO ONE WILL BUY IT. DON'T BE STUPID.

i have been riding these wheels for about 4-6 mths. They sure look nice. . . .

[Sep 13, 2002]
    michael roper

OVERALL
    Strength:

great ride, stayed true, spinergy reps hooked me up numerous times when their product failed!

rear hub BLOWS!

I have to say that i love spinergy if only the had a hub worth a damn i would still be riding them. I started out with a pair of R2's which nipples began to break left and right, so the wonderful guys at spinergy upgraded me to the xaeros (thanks guys). Unfortunatly the xaeros werent much better. The nipples didnt break and they stayed perfectly true, but the hubs sucked right out of the box. Rode them for awhile and developed any annoying creaking. Opened the rear hub to find metal shavings covering everything. Called spinergy and they once again corrected there wrong free of charge, but it was still a pain in the a$$. Rode them a little while longer and developed rear hub play, this time the bearings were shot. So to make a long story short I found some bearings myself and replaced them made sure they worked propperly and sold them. Now i'm on some cane creeks, they can't be much worse.

spinergy R2