Zipp Speed Weaponry CSC Team Issue Wheelset wheelsets - clincher

Within the stellar racing careers of Team CSC riders, there's an astounding number of individual experiences. All of them were brought to bear on the creation of one ethereal wheelset that takes all the punishment of training and racing at the world top class level: Zipp's Team CSC wheel, a spectacular high-performance aluminum clincher equally well-suited to cutting through the pack as to slashing time from the records.

We spent over two years developing this beauty, building in the team's preferences and ideas, testing rigorously in every circumstance by the team members themselves. Here it is: the versatile, durable CSC that gracefully handles monumental demands and mileages.

This wheelset is specifically designed to log thousands of training miles and provide you the flexibility of road racing at a moment's notice. Each wheelset comes with a set of silver quick releases.

700g front, 780g rear

[Jan 01, 2010]
Marut Ketudat

OVERALL
Strength:

Looks nice (like old-school 32 spokes)
Responsive, comfortable, smooth & fast, lightweight, not expensive.

None yet...Thank you.

I've been on this wheels for lil' more than 2000 Km only, so I'll let you know again @ 2500 Km. Bomb-Proof? I'm not really sure, I'm so careful on going into a HOLE (cycling wise) and if there's a big hill...doesn't really matter what wheels I use, I'd take the extra miles to go around it or grap a truck, small hill, I'd go crazy-riding.

Not as tough as Mavic Open Pro Rims with Dura Ace Hubs but...A liltle faster, A Liltle lighter.

[Dec 18, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

DURABLE on nasty road surfaces.

none so far

Coming off Ksyriums SL's these wheels have turned out to be stiffer, with smoother rolling bearings, soak up the chip seal road buzz better, spin up faster and hold speed all better than my Ksyriums. 1800 miles and counting.

ksyriums SL's
fulcrum 1's

[Nov 09, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, feel pretty good when operational

Durability

Best to avoid these wheels. I've had quite a bit of trouble with them a year plus. Original freehub lasted a full year then the soft aluminum pawls wore through. Bought a brand new one, which promptly died and would not engage. Spokes have spontaneously broken with no crash or impact. Even after being rebuilt. These wheels have no place on a race bike or for serious training.

Zipp 404, Easton Ascent II, Mavic Ksyrium Elite

[Sep 15, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

lightweight, fast acceleration on hills, smooth rolling.

After putting in ~500 miles on the wheels a loud ping and creak began to radiate through the bike. The LBS noted the cross over points on the spokes were sticking and rubbing together. Use of a small dab of oil on these points resolved the ping but a creak persisted. The spokes were found to be out of tension and each of the spokes frozen to the nipple. They are currently in route to Zipp for evaluation and warranty. I weigh only 145 lbs and expected this set to withstand normal intense training. Confidence in these wheels for racing and intense training is lost on this cyclist.

This wheel set was excellent off the shelf. Fast, lightweight, rapid acceleration. Addition of intense intervals and hills proved too much and the wheel began to ping and creak. I am equally surprised as noted in other reviews that CSC uses this as their primary training wheel.

Mavic Ksyrium SL, Neuvation M28 aero, dura ace

[Jul 31, 2008]
Tim

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, light, rode well on the flats, seemed to spin up nice, not affected by the wind so much. This is what I noticed after about 600 miles on them.

After having these wheels less than a month and only maybe 400 miles the rear wheel started making spoke noise. I took them back to the LBS and they said the they were out of tension. They sent them back to Zipp and there was no problem getting them repaired. I got them back after about 3 weeks. Did 100 miles the following day they were great! (however the route was very flat) The next Saturday we went out for a hilly ride. (my Mavic SSC SL's have been doing for 4 years) the third hill into the ride and there were 2 loud bangs within a couple seconds of each other and I fell over. The freehub now spins both directions. The rear bearings now feel like they are full of sand too. We're waiting to hear from Zipp but I think I'll get a different brand wheel. I don't think I could trust them again.

These wheels were great, spun up fast and road smooth until the road went up. The bearings felt smooth as butter until I climbed some 15% grade hills. I'm not sure where they came up with an every day training wheel for CSC. I'd think they could tear these up pretty quickly.

Mavic SSC SL's for 4 years, Mavic CXP33, and a set of 32 spoke ultegra hub training/bad weather wheels

[Nov 06, 2007]
B Porter

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, fast, compliant, repairable, and comfortable

None yet - maybe price point

My Kysrium SLs (rear wheel) significantly failed after three years. In looking for a replacement, I wanted a performance wheel (hill climbing) that was durable and more comfortable for centuries. After my first century, I'm very happy with the Zipp CSC wheelset. It spins up faster, feels quicker than the SLs, and is more comfortable.

Kysrium SLs

[Sep 24, 2007]
acid_rider

OVERALL
Strength:

reliable, roll well, reasonably light weight, look good and understated, plenty of spokes makes me feel secure.

The price is very high at ~AUS$1400 for a pair. This is why I give them a lower value rating of 4 out of 5 stars.

Very good wheels for a rider of my weight (~70kg) after ~6000km so far. Still true and roll well and I like their old-fashioned looks with lots of spokes. Great wheels for training and for long rides in most weather conditions.

ksyrium equipe (average), bontrager race-x-lite (good to very good).

[Apr 02, 2007]

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice cushy ride; traditional design eases of repair. Light weight.

Not as strong or stiff as some of the new, radical wheel designs.

I agree with the prior reviewer. Excellent wheel set, especially for long training rides. They are more compliant than my Mavis Ksyrium SLs.

[Feb 26, 2007]
friedmikey

OVERALL
Strength:

Lighter than Ksyrium SL, comfortable, reliable, j-bend spokes, unique, get Zipp on the cheap (relatively speaking). ;)

Wheelset is only half Zipp (hubs and skewers). The rims and spokes are DT Swiss... not that there's really anything wrong with DT. Cassette body is a bit soft and has been "bitten" by my cassettes.

Great wheelset for those looking for an alternative to Ksyriums. As a professional guide in Italy, I needed a good wheelset that would be reliable over thousands of miles. A traditional j-bend spoked clincher wheel was a top requirement. However, I didn't want to give up the light weight and "showoff" factor of the Ksyriums. The Zipp CSC fit the bill. They turned out to be lighter than my Ksyrium SL3s (and lighter than Zipp claimed). They were more comfortable than Ksyrium SLs, yet seemed to roll just as fast and smooth. They turned out to be extremely reliable until I wrecked the rear wheel in a bad crash. BUT... because it is a normal 32 spoke hub, I was able to have the wheel rebuilt with an Open Pro rim (all that was available locally) using off-the-shelf parts.

Ksyrium SL3, Dura Ace 7801 SL, Dura Ace/Open Pro wheels, Zipp T2/Open Pro Wheels...